• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Master "deals" (massdrop, ebay, Amazon, etc.) Thread on Audio Product Sales

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
[edit: added links to ASR reviews]

Monoprice headphone amps on sale. All except the beloved Monolith THX 887 (no surprise that one isn't on sale).

monoprice_amps.png

Last edited:

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Some headphone discounts up on Drop:
  • Massdrop x Focal Elex (note the FR and distortion graphs in the product description)
    • US $600, down from $700
    • Impedance: 80 ohms
    • expected to ship May 30th
    • you can (optionally) add the Massdrop THX AAA 789 headphone amp for $375 (a discount of $25).
  • SendyAudio Aiva planar magnetics
    • US $479, down from $599
    • Impedance: 32 ohms
    • expected to ship Apr 7th

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
That is a crazy deal 2) S803s and 2) S801s and a S81 center channel for $199. I kept looking at the page for where the catch is but it doesn't seem to have one.

Trying to find measurements for the S803... might have to wait for Amir to work through his backlog!

CNET reviewer Steve Guttenberg found them bright sounding and did his listening with the grille on.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Some SMSL equipment on up on Drop:
  • SU-8 (v2) DAC
  • SH-8 headphone amp
  • DA-8S power amp
  • SP200 THX 888 headphone amp
Base price for the SU-8 (v2) is US $185. After that:

Note: At checkout, choose a US or EU plug. You can choose from the following bundle options: SU-8 (base price), SH-8 (- $50), DA-8S (-$55), SU-8 and SH-8 (+ $100), SU-8 and SP200 THX AAA-888 Balanced Headphone Amp (+$240), SU-8 and DA-8S (+ $110), SU-8, SH-8 and DA-8S (+ $215), SU-8, SP200, and DA-8S (+$325).

bigjacko

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Drop + MrSpeakers Ether CX closed-back headphones, $650 with the link from z review.
https://www.youtube.com/post/UgxiRb-JGunAAKdty9Z4AaABCQ
It was originally $900, now only $650 with the link. Don't know how good it is as there is not a lot of talks around this headphone. If someone give some impression about this headphone that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any impression.

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
Drop + MrSpeakers Ether CX closed-back headphones, $650 with the link from z review.
It was originally $900, now only $650 with the link. Don't know how good it is as there is not a lot of talks around this headphone. If someone give some impression about this headphone that would be appreciated. Thanks in advance for any impression.

I'm pretty sure @amirm owns a pair (see the "Headphone Listening Tests" section) so he might be able to share his impressions.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is an extremely inefficient and difficult headphone to drive. This was the reason I got it! :) To stress test the headphone amplifiers.

Fidelity wise is well behind Sennheiser HD-650 and Hifiman HE-400i. I use it all the time because it is closed back and I need to block the loud fan on my analyzer. Otherwise I would pass on it.

Incursio

It is an extremely inefficient and difficult headphone to drive. This was the reason I got it! :) To stress test the headphone amplifiers.

@amirm I would also suggest the Fostex T60RP or other T50RP mods (such as the Argon, Dekoni, Mayflower etc.) to test amplifiers. These are very popular with headphone enthusiasts and considered to be hard-to-drive 'properly'.

I'm sure a lot of the readership would be interested to know how a headphone amplifier does with one of them.

Last edited:

chlipong

Some SMSL equipment on up on Drop:

Base price for the SU-8 (v2) is US $185. After that:

It was $170 on the last round before this one. The manufacturer might have raised the price a bit but at $185 I would still go for it.

One thing to note for people living in France like me, I don't know how it works for other EU countries, is that the tracking number started within France with a colissimo of la poste (French postal service) so there was no fee for customs declaration charged by la poste and no hassle with customs at all.
The complete Drop process was a bit long but considering that I received it with no additionnal charges, I'm pretty satisfied since my unit works so far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom