• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz Cinema 40 AVR Review

Rate this AVR:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 49 25.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 118 61.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 20 10.4%

• Total voters

hyfynut

Tnx :cool:
Such measurements would also be interesting for multiple channels driven in parallel. DLART will be offered in the future and it would be very interesting to see whether such a receiver can operate four potent floorstanding speakers including co-optimisation in full-range.
Yes, one channel driven then two channels driven then five channels driven then all channels driven would be awesome

cyclo

Now if only Marantz can strip off all the amps on this AVR and sell it as an AV 40 with a price at least 500 bucks cheaper I would be one of the first to line up for it. :)

pogo

Major Contributor
then two channels driven then five channels driven then all channels driven would be awesome
It is precisely such possible real-life situations that say something about the performance. However, I do not believe that this AVR will still performs well at 4ohm/5ch. You can already see deviations from the ideal with one channel driven at 4ohm :rolleyes:

Last edited:

beeface

The major takeaway here is that D&M's newest products are better thanks to Amir roasting their previous ones

Other than aesthetic appeal, I cannot imagine its performance as a home theater AVR is audibly different than a Denon with similar specs (like Dirac) but costing a whole lot less. AVRs are not designed to be high precision sound systems (Benchmark AHB2 comes to mind) but rather meant to deliver an immersive and impactful movie experience by effectively delivering the surround experience of the source.

Now I have to know

What's the SINAD of a movie's Atmos mix? :p

Similar to Denon X3600H here. Improvement from Marantz but Denon measurement is still better.
View attachment 335416
I'm still using this "old" receiver. It works great in my smaller room with a Benchmark AHB2 driving the Fronts and the receiver driving the center, rear and Atmos channels.

Opal

So as a pre amp, the X4800H is still the better purchase right? Since we cannot be sure the 'traditional' HDMI in for C40 measures as good as the Toslink

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
As I requested in post 36, let’s stay on topic in this review thread. Several dozen posts deleted and several posters earned a 2 week reply ban for excessive off topic posting after we asked for members to stay on topic. We have rules for a reason. None of you got Warnings but certainly earned them. Consider that an early Christmas gift from the Moderator Team. Stay on topic in review threads. If you are unable to follow this rule we will be compelled to revoke your posting privileges. :confused:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Denon AVR 4800 amplifiers measure better and is cheaper!
I am not sure, so I did a side by side using a spreadsheet:

Based on this comparison, I would say this is the first time we can really say the two are technical identical twins, made in the same production facility in Japan too. There are very minor differences in a couple tests that show the Cinema 40 did may be up to a couple dB better at lower output levels but I believe such minor differences mean very little unless Amir did both at the same time/day, side by side under the exact wiring layout and conditions including humidity and temperature lol.. but not when at times he mentioned ground loop issues that he reduced/eliminate but not sure if he re-did those test (not exactly his words, I am just using examples to say that when you do such lab work on different day, and unless you repeat those test a few time, there are bound to be variance. Anyone who has run Audyssey, Dirac or whatever, even just do a REW sweep, you don't get the same results every time even if you never move the mic...

So, I have to conclude that (okay just my opinion), if Europe, such as France, Germany, UK, and you like Marantz look, go for the C40, but in Canada and the US, definitely take the AVR-X4800H and spend the $800-$1,00 saved on high quality contents, or on subscriptions such as Qobuz etc., or just use it on DLBC, ART.

TestsCinema40AVR-X4800H
HDMI90.36494.068
TOSLINK97.22994.265
SNR108.047107.719
IMDABOUT 2 dB BETTER AT -20 TO -15 level3 TO 5 dB BETTER FROM -5 TO 0 dB level
32 tone inputabout 17 dB distortion free rangealmost 18 bits distortion free range
Linearityabout the same as the Denonabout the same as the Marantz
Jitterhad 6 kHz sideband, HDMI worseno sideband, HDMI same as Toslink
Frequency responseNice and flat, same as the DenonNice and flat, same as the Marantz
5 W output, analog input86.666 dB87.229 dB
5 W output, digital input84.698 dB86.035 dB
Cross talkAlmost identical to the Denon'sAmost identical to the Marantz's
Power output at 1% THD212.8 W208.2 W
Power output vs THD+NLooks the same as Denon's up to 10 kHzLooks the same as Marantz's but better at 15 kHz

Last edited:

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on Amir's FR measurements, Marantz might have given up on the Marantz sound (it's never there anyway in the real world), that seems now available only on the AV10 and of course the previous avr models that used the slow roll off dac filter.

Wonder what changed their mind.

Joost80

Based on Amir's FR measurements, Marantz might have given up on the Marantz sound (it's never there anyway in the real world), that seems now available only on the AV10 and of course the previous avr models that used the slow roll off dac filter.

Wonder what changed their mind.
Amir and his testing changed their mind. The 'Get a Marantz for musical sound' narrative didn't hold up against bad measurements.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Thanks for the review, but please focus on HDMI. It should be very rare that people feed modern AVR via Toslink
I feed my Denon 4800 AVR with toslink from a Pi4 Roopei Roon end point.

Vacceo

Major Contributor
About time AVR are getting to respectable measurements.

However, the useful life of a AVR is only about 10 years before next generation of new surround sound and video standards hits the market. I would love to see a company that makes a modular/upgradeable AVR where to work with future surround sound and video standards. When such a product hits, more people are incline to spend that that kind of money on one.
NAD did a modular AVR, but it seems there are no new updates. To be honest, the revolutionary element would be moving the whole AVR thing to pure software and make it PC-friendly. Outsourcing all the processing, via RJ45 or USB to a PC and keep the AVR as an interface.

EWL5

NAD did a modular AVR, but it seems there are no new updates. To be honest, the revolutionary element would be moving the whole AVR thing to pure software and make it PC-friendly. Outsourcing all the processing, via RJ45 or USB to a PC and keep the AVR as an interface.
PC-friendly also means it's harder to protect IP so I don't see it happening...

Vacceo

Major Contributor
PC-friendly also means it's harder to protect IP so I don't see it happening...
Blackbox software exists, but yes, I agree it is harder to keep protection on a PC environment. The other potential element is building AVR´s as Trinnov does: essentially a PC box with modules.

Again, NAD did; but it has not built on it so far.

EWL5

Blackbox software exists, but yes, I agree it is harder to keep protection on a PC environment. The other potential element is building AVR´s as Trinnov does: essentially a PC box with modules.

Again, NAD did; but it has not built on it so far.
There's a couple reasons why changing PC parts is easy:
1) For the most part, nearly every component is standardized and interchangeable (w/the exception of AMD vs Intel vs Apple chips of course).
2) The culture of building or build-to-order PCs has been around forever.
3) OEMs have very little desire to carry proprietary parts w/some exceptions (looking at you, Dell!)

I can't imagine the AVR oligopolies (Denon/Marantz and Onkyo/Pioneer, etc.) expressing any desire to lose differentiation by selling modular designs. In your example of Trinnov, it's such a niche market that other companies would scoff at adding SKUs and giving a separate level of tech support to this genre (how's regular tech support treating us even now?).

D

Deleted member 48726

Thanks for the review, but please focus on HDMI. It should be very rare that people feed modern AVR via Toslink
It's the only output I have on my 2022 Samsung QLED. Oh, and Bluetooth.

CapMan

Major Contributor
Guys, sorry if I started the thread derailment defending plasma...

back to the Cinema 40...does anyone else just want to move that center portal down about a 1/4' to line up and make it same size as the knobs on either end?

If you're not going to deliver above average specs, at least make it look good. Sorry to those that do like it...but just no.
The two line display on the Denon is much more useful and informative

Top Bottom