• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I've said that for the majority of owners it's good enough without complicating their lives too much. Ultra high end audiophiles don't use DSP and Room EQ systems.
They use acoustic room treatments.

Movie aficionados do their best with what they buy, Marantz AV7705 here...with Audyssey top flavor...XT32 plus the app for manual fine tuning.

It's not like a $10,000-20,000 preamp.

Question: What would you recommend for a hobbyist in the say $1,000-3,000 price range? Someone simple, 99% of the normal population.

Agreed, I do have some faith in Audyssey, AARC and Dirac Live that they could work well under the right conditions. Their founders/developers are EE/or scientist in related fields and all hold a PhD or two.. I am sure they are not unbiased and being humans, are likely prone to influence from their/and by their own needs/ego etc., marketing teams, but I do trust them more than some self proclaimed experts. Even Dr. Toole, has never said auto REQ is a bad thing, though he obviously is not a fan and emphasize that doing it to above the room transition frequency is not a good idea. Even Harman (where Dr. Toole worked or still associated with) has their own auto REQ system.

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Even Harman (where Dr. Toole worked or still associated with) has their own auto REQ system.
I think it’s just Dirac and Trinnov (Optimiser).
Do they use a third option in a prepro? Maybe the SFM?

m8o

Forum Donor
I know this didn't "measure well", but I'll tell you all, I can't notice! Set my home theater up a few weeks ago with this, and I'm loving it.

The ancient Marantz AV7001 (or was it AV7005?) was a major upgrade to the Onkyo 939 it replaced. And this AV7705 is a major upgrade to the Marantz prepro cited above.

Running what is pictured in a 9.2 configuration, with the two M&K speakers ontop of the La Scalas as Atmos speakers (behind the big jbl tweeter that I'm using instead of the stock La Scala tweeter; they are actively crossed over and tri-amped).

Attachments

• 20200419_181437.jpg
    20200419_181437.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 252

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know this didn't "measure well", but I'll tell you all, I can't notice! Set my home theater up a few weeks ago with this, and I'm loving it.

The ancient Marantz AV7001 (or was it AV7005?) was a major upgrade to the Onkyo 939 it replaced. And this AV7705 is a major upgrade to the Marantz prepro cited above.

Running what is pictured in a 9.2 configuration, with the two M&K speakers ontop of the La Scalas as Atmos speakers (behind the big jbl tweeter that I'm using instead of the stock La Scala tweeter; they are actively crossed over and tri-amped).

I don't think anyone can notice any difference in a blind test (say between it, the much more expensive AV8805 and the much cheaper AVR-X3600H). So if one is willing to pay more for the look, better build quality or even potentially reliability while overlooking the poorer measurements then it is good choice.

Yes the ancient one was the AV7005, I replaced that one with the AV8801 and then a AVR-X4400H. Couldn't say I noticed any difference in pure direct mode. With DSP, I did notice, or perceive rather, a difference each time, but it's subjective as it would be impossible to do any AB comparison, blind or not even if I tried.

Appleguy33

I had a Marantz MM7025 two channel PA. It should be 2x140 Watt 8 Ohm. But it could not drive my 3 way medium sensitive floorstanders and the sound were - to be polite - flat and uninspiring. It was sold within a year.
Same! Had a 7025 And it could not drive a pair of Elac bookshelf speakers I had.

Reactions: ENG

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Same! Had a 7025 And it could not drive a pair of Elac bookshelf speakers I had.

That is really strange, I have a MM8003 that has the same amps just larger power supply for the 8 channels. My friend has 1 MM7055, again same amps, larger PS for 5 channels. We both have had no trouble driving our 3 way tower speakers with volume rarely exceeding -20. Those amps measured quite well too, into 4 ohms.

I wonder how the older pre/ pros measure up like the ones designed and made in Japan

eg denon AVP-a1hd circa 2008,

this one weighed a tonne and had true balanced xlr connectors input to output389FFF7D-20D4-42F4-A7D9-1CD07284CF49.png

Nathan Raymond

I wish someone would come out with a modular pre/pro. Make internal slots, like a PC, and let owners buy modules to install. Let the software stack have an app store too, or let you develop your own solutions to run on it. Upgrade the processor when you want/need, add the physical connectivity you want need, and whatever DACs or other components you want from whoever. Keep and reuse the chassis. I'm continually frustrated by these increasingly complicated, overly feature-laden and licensing encumbered devices that never fit or do what I really want them to do well. I'm always choosing least-painful compromises every time I buy a receiver and never love the product because it never does what I want the way I want it to, and I usually end up paying for things I don't want to get the baseline of what I need.

Krobar

I wonder how the older pre/ pros measure up like the ones designed and made in Japan

eg denon AVP-a1hd circa 2008,

this one weighed a tonne and had true balanced xlr connectors input to outputView attachment 66174

I went from one of these to an AV40. Noise floor is much better than the AV40 and other prepros I tried but it sounds a bit dead compared to modern prepros and the imaging is nowhere near as good with Audyssey enabled as it is with Dirac on the AV40 or RS20I.

jomark911

You are saying that AVP-A1HD sounds dead compared to modern prepros?
That's funny , at least. Except if your unit has a problem with the digital board and lowers the output as a result of dried capacitors.
I'm still using mine and it sounds excellent . Regardless of the very low noise floor.

Krobar

You are saying that AVP-A1HD sounds dead compared to modern prepros?
That's funny , at least. Except if your unit has a problem with the digital board and lowers the output as a result of dried capacitors.
I'm still using mine and it sounds excellent . Regardless of the very low noise floor.

My AVP seems to still have full output level on all channels (Including centre) but it sounds dull and sort of over-damped, maybe Audyssey was to blame.

jomark911

Yeap around 2012 if I remember correctly.
It shure is a hell of a prepro , well at least to some of us.
Compared to 8500H , I got nothing better out of 8500h so I sent it back. Except ATMOS of course.

jomark911

What it takes to sound extraordingly good is deq on and the dig vol off , not light med or high , so it doesn't compress any dynamics.
That and a good set of audyssey measurments.

Krobar

What it takes to sound extraordingly good is deq on and the dig vol off , not light med or high , so it doesn't compress any dynamics.
That and a good set of audyssey measurments.

That is how I always ran the AVP. You should try a Dirac based prepro if you get a chance.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish someone would come out with a modular pre/pro. Make internal slots, like a PC, and let owners buy modules to install. Let the software stack have an app store too, or let you develop your own solutions to run on it. Upgrade the processor when you want/need, add the physical connectivity you want need, and whatever DACs or other components you want from whoever. Keep and reuse the chassis. I'm continually frustrated by these increasingly complicated, overly feature-laden and licensing encumbered devices that never fit or do what I really want them to do well. I'm always choosing least-painful compromises every time I buy a receiver and never love the product because it never does what I want the way I want it to, and I usually end up paying for things I don't want to get the baseline of what I need.
It is a good idea but very expensive to engineer. The chassis boards and power supply suitable for multiple use would make it a premium price before you fitted any modules.
Meridian have done it for decades, though I don't know if they still do, this seems to be the latest version though I don't know if it is still current.

Deeluik

I would prefer a software solution regarding AV processing. You'd just need a PC and a multichannel DAC and be done for a long time:
  • need more channels: buy more DACs
  • need support of newer decoders: update the processing software
  • somehow the CPU gets too slow with modern decoders: get a new motherboard
I know this will not happen in the near futute, but just let me dream a little bit, OK?:)

For this reason I started the following experiment.
I use a win10 laptop in tablet mode with Jriver MC (WDM driver in 5.1 channel mode) and an Oppo UDP-203 via HDMI IN for exactly this (oktoresearch DAC-8 would also be a great option for better SQ and USB in might be more stable than HDMI though I don't experience many problems with the Oppo). In Jriver MC I do the Room Correction with parametric eq filters created with REW and a U-MIK1
I used PEQ's because they don't introduce so much latency as convolution filters do in Jriver MC.

I have Jriver MC auto start at Windows Logon. The Oppo I have set to start up with the last input being HDMI IN BYPASS (Bypass because of lower latency with mouse control). Mostly we watch netflix and I have used the surround tests in there to verify that the different channels are connected correctly, one must use the netflix app for 5.1 channel audio though. Anything else we watch via Firefox ;-)
To control the laptop I have a pepper jobs airmouse which has a small keyboard, programmable IR transmitter which can copy commands from an existing remote as well as media and windows buttons which makes it easy to switch between apps. I also use it to control some functions of the Oppo like volume, input if necessary and on/off

Disadvantages were that I had to store DVD's and Blu-Rays on a Hard disk or connect a DVD/Blu-ray drive with additional software to my PC so Jriver can process the audio.

Advantages most of this solution is software based so a new codec can be added to Jriver any time.

What would also improve user friendliness is geting active speakers with room correction built in or a seperate DSP like: the t.racks DSP's or Minidsp 10x10HD or DDRC 88A. Than you can connect any good multi channel dac you want to it or if the speakers have digital in just a thing like the minidsp DIO-8. Than you won't need Jriver for room correction and you can also play blu-rays directly on the oppo 203 without having to store them.

Hope you get some inspiration from this on how this can already be done. And maybe some time in the future we get a better software based solution to do this with a PC. Also I was wondering if there is other software which is also good for sytem wide EQing and multichannel processing such as Jriver MC does?

Last edited:

CuriousMonkey

I noticed that you posted results for the Arcam AVR850 with various speaker configurations (large, small, large with sub).
It would be interesting to see the same test results with the 7705.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Top Bottom