• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV7705 Home Theater Processor Review

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Denon, Marantz, Pioneer, and Onkyo all owned by one megalithic company selling Schiitty product. Oh, for the days when antitrust actually meant something.

That is incorrect. Denon and Marantz are Sound United LLC brands. Onkyo and Pioneer are brands of the Onkyo Corporation.

Sound United tried to acquire Onkyo and Pioneer but that deal fell though.

Martin

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

kernelpanic

Thanks @amirm for this review! I was very interested to see how this compared to the AV8805. My worries have been confirmed. I was previously considering the 7705 for a new home theater build. It seems like Emotiva and Anthem are now the best bets for a pre/pro <$4000 that measures well? Anyone have any other recommendations?

North_Sky

Major Contributor
I don't know what processor they use @ one of my local IMAX theaters but it sure sounds superb (1917) ... oh my! Talk about ecstasy in surround and kaboom explosions and clear intelligible dialog.

I'll ask them next time. Maybe we can get them to send it for measurements?

By the way the Marantz AV8805 was reviewed in the current January issue of Widescreen Review by Doug Blackburn.

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
We have yet to find a gem in any of these home theater products. So I suggest buying on strength of the Room EQ technology and other features you may need.
Perhaps you could ask Bryston to send you a SP3 processor for a review.
https://bryston.com/preamps/sp3/

Though it's expensive and probably more than most would consider to invest in their surround setup, it would be interesting to see how it measures.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
But Bryston is not into DSP and Room EQ. Their processors follow the philosophy of pure unaltered audio signals. They should measured well, and so are processors from Cary Audio Design and Classe.

Nathan Raymond

Anyone have a Sherwood Newcastle R-972 they can send in for review? It's 10 years old now and only HDMI 1.3, but to my knowledge it was the only consumer-grade AVR to integrate Trinnov room correction (I remember it because I came close to buying it at a closeout price from a discount place years ago). I've always been curious how it would measure.

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Anyone have a Sherwood Newcastle R-972 they can send in for review? It's 10 years old now and only HDMI 1.3, but to my knowledge it was the only consumer-grade AVR to integrate Trinnov room correction (I remember it because I came close to buying it at a closeout price from a discount place years ago). I've always been curious how it would measure.

That's a good one, it was selling for less than half its MSRP near the end ...
https://www.soundandvision.com/receivers/sherwood_newcastle_r-972_av_receiver

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I can't find a single performance specification in either the brochure or the manual. It is unlike Bryston to produce a product like this. My sense is that these are standardized platforms that companies are licensing and shipping under their name.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
I can't find a single performance specification in either the brochure or the manual. It is unlike Bryston to produce a product like this. My sense is that these are standardized platforms that companies are licensing and shipping under their name.
Yes Its a Storm audio processor, rebranded. Now a Bryston.

m8o

Forum Donor
Yes, the specifications seems rather [ahem] lacking:

SPECIFICATIONS
Channels:16 Channels fully assignable
[ end of specifications ]

Very big lol.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Indeed. I am shocked how low the AV market has sunk. I had my first processor back in 1997 and in that era, a lot of high-end audio companies were in AV market. So there were good designs. Then HDMI came and they all got pushed out of the market since they didn't have volume and chip companies would not support them. Now we are left with mass market companies and a few boutique companies....

North_Sky

Major Contributor
Yes Its a Storm audio processor, rebranded. Now a Bryston.

Makes sense because Bryston doesn't believe in Auto Room EQ and Calibration System.
They believe in acoustic room treatments.

So a StormAudio AV Processor would be one to measure for good measure.
And it uses the best Room EQ, Dirac Live.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I reviewed the SP4, and Dr. David Rich contributed some circuit analysis to deepen the review. I loved everything about it except for buggy interaction with Harmony remotes. (If it had worked seamlessly with Harmony activities, I would've inquired about buying it.) Long story short, DAC is not SOTA but they use really good line drivers on the balanced outputs. At the time Bryston was talking about adding an "audiophile" DAC option, which is possible because it is a very modular platform. Bryston is even a different form factor than Storm's stock models!

I only do acoustic measurements. No electrical measurements. However, I did measure what several Dirac target curves did in my room in the review (spatial average at the listening position).

https://hometheaterhifi.com/reviews...ton-sp4-16-channel-surround-processor-review/

vitalii427

Forum Donor
So a StormAudio AV Processor would be one to measure for good measure.
And it uses the best Room EQ, Dirac Live.
As well as AudioControl, Arcam, Lexicon, Theta and Datasat. Seems Dirac becomes the industry standard

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Indeed. I am shocked how low the AV market has sunk. I had my first processor back in 1997 and in that era, a lot of high-end audio companies were in AV market. So there were good designs. Then HDMI came and they all got pushed out of the market since they didn't have volume and chip companies would not support them. Now we are left with mass market companies and a few boutique companies....

That actually tells us that today it’s not so easy to design and produce AVRs and Surround Processors that could share a piece of the market. Or else anybody could do it, just like what happens with 2-channel DACs where we have hundreds of devices that measure well and make a profit.

Looks like it’s very difficult to get all this functions in a box that measures well and sells cheap. Let’s keep that in mind.

;)

Bjorn

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
But Bryston is not into DSP and Room EQ. Their processors follow the philosophy of pure unaltered audio signals. They should measured well, and so are processors from Cary Audio Design and Classe.
Which is fine by me since it's you can't really EQ the room considering it's mostly not minimum phase behaviour. I don't like adding time distortion, it sounds very unnatural. Never understood why Dirac and other so called "room correction" softwares are so popular. You can EQ the speakers and you can reduce some low freqeuncy peaks, but you don't need any fancy correction for that. Some shelving filters and a feq PEQs is all that's needed.

Top Bottom