• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Marantz AV10 AV Processor Review

Rate This AV Processor:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 21 7.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 80 28.4%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 178 63.1%

• Total voters

KMO

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What are you talking about? Calibration systems calibrate speakers. What happens upstream in the processor to determine what signals go to each speaker is irrelevant.

I think maybe ban25 slightly misstated by saying "runs a frequency sweep on each channel individually". It's more specifically "on each output channel", ie "on each speaker".

If you were feeding some test media into the processor, like when using REW, then you have to worry about what input channels you're using and what modes to get your stuff to individual speakers, but the inbuilt calibration just goes straight to the output channels. So "SW1" or "SW2" or "L". There is no "LFE" on that side.

Jasperous

I’m probably reiterating other comments, but this doesn’t seem worth the price compared to the Denon X8500H which is a hair’s width away in terms of performance, and it has amplification.

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m probably reiterating other comments, but this doesn’t seem worth the price compared to the Denon X8500H which is a hair’s width away in terms of performance, and it has amplification.
In that sense the A1H may be better as it is a current model and the preamp/processor = AV10 - HDAMs - XLR outputs × 15

tjcinnamon

Depends if it gets Dirac ART and I'm unsure if the HDMI 2.1 board is as good. Granted, someone needs to want those things.

ban25

Hey all DLBC enjoyers! Let’s see some pre/post measurements!
I just calibrated this past week with version 3.8.2, here are my results, OFF/DL/DLBC, measured from the same position.

1702845545923.png

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I just calibrated this past week with version 3.8.2, here are my results, OFF/DL/DLBC, measured from the same position.

View attachment 335015

Many thanks for sharing, those are without manually tweaking right? I have had similar results for the untweaked results, no magic bullets at all, but can see that it does work, just not as much as I expected.

ban25

Many thanks for sharing, those are without manually tweaking right? I have had similar results for the untweaked results, no magic bullets at all, but can see that it does work, just not as much as I expected.
This is the wide calibration mode for a sofa. No manual tweaks beyond adjusting the shelves to taste.

alvigg

I just have setup an AV10 and I am considering taking advantage of the Dirac 30% sale. However, my sub is a bagend Infrasub 18 which is wired differently. All three pre-outs of the front channels are sent to the sub which subtracts the bass in a time-aligned manner and then sends the non-bass signals to the front channel amps. A couple of questions.

1) In this scenario does the Dirac Live Bass control help?

2) Is the consensus that the 500 Hz version is preferred?

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
three pre-outs of the front channels are sent to the sub which subtracts the bass in a time-aligned manner and then sends the non-bass signals to the front channel amps. A couple of questions.
If you can’t set distances or delay in the sub for each channel, this will not work.

Just hook the sub up to the AVP as intended and use Dirac to integrate. I’m sure it will do a better job.

alvigg

That is how Bagends get hooked up. I can revert to a normal sub and use the time alignment in the Dirac but that is a bunch of rewiring.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I don’t see any reason why you would not just hook it up to the LFE channel. It will work just as well, or better.

Frank207be

I don’t see any reason why you would not just hook it up to the LFE channel. It will work just as well, or better.
Agreed. The 3 input - 3 output connection scheme on this subwoofer with it's own crossover predates modern AVR and is outdated. DLBC sets timing, EQ, crossover and phase for each channel so connecting the Infrasub-18 to one subwoofer out is the only reasonable option.

I used this Infrasub-18 sub from 1998 until 2016 on a Yamaha DSP-A1 and I only used it with the subwoofer out. I sold mine as I disliked it's variable low end limiter and it's loud pop when powering down. The Bag End inspired me to build DIY PA style woofers with decent X-max though.

Edit: just googled the backside of the infrasub-18 as I know it had the manual printed there and it says: Crossover: Factory set 95Hz Hi-Pass -6dB

Last edited:

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think with Dirac it could be a little more complicated if you are concerned about sub 20hz response. In particular with Dirac ART. You have to choose right now between a sharp filter at 20hz (eliminating all sub 20hz output), or do nothing below 20hz. According to Storm this is something that is being actively worked on to improve but for right now, with ART it takes some thought to get sub 20hz set up.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I think with Dirac it could be a little more complicated if you are concerned about sub 20hz response. In particular with Dirac ART. You have to choose right now between a sharp filter at 20hz (eliminating all sub 20hz output), or do nothing below 20hz. According to Storm this is something that is being actively worked on to improve but for right now, with ART it takes some thought to get sub 20hz set up.
I don’t know about that, but I’m sure the tradeoff of using the bass management of the AVP the way it was intended to be used will make a substantial difference vs the old school setup @alvigg has now.

Last edited:

alvigg

Thanks for the input on my Bagend. Yes, I am old school but seems like it might be time to change how I use the Bagend.

Top Bottom