• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

M&K S-150THX Speaker Review

Rate this speaker:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 2.5%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 45 28.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 88 55.7%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 21 13.3%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests and detailed measurements of the vintage Miller & Kreisel (M&K) S-150THX Home Theater Speaker. It is on kind loan from a member and costs US $1,500 for a pair back in mid 1990s.
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Review.jpg

I don't know how many of you were in home theater back then but the M&K speakers were cat's meow due to their use in film sound mastering. Folks would point to the pictures of them soffit mounted there and stand back and say, "this is why I bought it!" It was a sign of having arrived in home theater. I didn't own these bookshelves but did have their massive subs for my theater. I always envisioned these to be a large speaker but they are quite tiny at just a foot high. The face slanted so if the back is against the wall, it toes in automatically toward the center.

Back panel harkens back to days where companies put their address on the back of their products!

Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker back panel Review.jpg

And those were also the day when having THX logo carried the water for you, hence the designation here. Despite strong fan support company went bankrupt and then came back a while later. I looked at they have replaced foams around the tweeters with waveguides. But otherwise they look similar.

Was the reputation well deserved? Let's measure and listen to see if that is so.

M&K S-150THX Measurements
Let's start with our Klippel NFS anechoic measurements:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Frequency Response Measurement.png

Color me surprised with that flat on axis response! Five drivers working together and they still produced a flat response. Quite remarkable. Alas, physics is hard to avoid and the drivers interfere with each other causing beam forming/narrowing of the response. We see that in the off-axis response having less energy above 800 Hz. We can see that clearly in the vertical axis:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Vertical reflection Frequency Response Meas...png

In an interview the designer said this was actually a THX requirement that you have to sit precisely on axis with zero deviation from that! That's cool but this uneven off-axis bounces around the room still and creates an uneven response:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker early window Frequency Response Measurement.png

Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Predicted in-room Speaker Frequency Response Measur...png

I tried to draw a straight line but that is not really possible. Still not too bad. We can drill more into the directivity:

Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Horizontal Beamwidth Measurement.png

Since the speaker has non-symmetrical, you get rough response going to the right of the speaker:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Horizontal directivity Measurement.png

The issue as mentioned is much more severe in vertical axis:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Vertical Beamwidth Measurement.png

Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Vertical Directivity Measurement.png

Multiple drivers mess up the directivity but do wonders for power ability:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Relative THD Distortion Measurement.png

Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker THD Distortion Measurement.png

Again, keep in mind that this is a small bookshelf size/studio monitor speaker.

Impedance is rated at 4 ohm but as usual, that is a bit of wishful thinking:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Impedance and phase Measurement.png

There is a distinct resonance around 5 kHz in the waterfall plot but I don't see it elsewhere which is kind of odd:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker CSD Waterfall Measurement.png

Finally, here is the step response:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Step Measurement.png

M&K S-150THX Listening Tests and Equalization
This is the kind of speaker that stomps a subjective reviewer. It at the same time sounds right and wrong. While I could not find much fault with it, I also didn't enjoy anything I played on it either! One thing I did notice was that the sound was coming from the small footprint of the speaker likely due to narrow vertical dispersion. There was nothing to EQ as far as on-axis so I resorted to using the predicted in-room response as a guide to boost the lower treble:
Miller & Kreisel M&K Home Theater S-150THX Speaker Equalization Measurement.png

That made the sound more open but also somewhat bright. So I put in a bass boost as if this was a ported speaker. The combination made a dramatic difference. The sound was now much more open and "high-fi" for the lack of a better term. We had good bass and the sound became more diffused, enlarging the halo of the speaker. I detected no sign of stress in the speaker despite that bass boost. Power handling remained very good.

Conclusions
Nice to go and really evaluate products that had a strong buzz around them in a different era. The S-150 shows some of the characteristics that made it famous as far as low distortion and flat on-axis response. But physics of sound caught up to it causing uneven off-axis response. The tonality we hear is the combination of those two which was not to my liking. Some EQ fixed that though. And I should note that in real application this speaker would be crossed to a sub and have some sort of EQ applied to it. Overall not bad!

----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• M&K S-150THX Frequency Response.zip
    60.9 KB · Views: 73

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
For 1990s loudspeakers quite good performance and even with today's standards modern approach with small waveguides and a little vertical tweeter array, here is also the Stereophile review from 1997, unfortunately the measurement images don't appear, maybe @John Atkinson can fix them?

respice finem

Major Contributor
The idea of making a (kind of) waveguide just by sticking foam to the baffle is clever IMHO, I've seen similar stuff with felt somewhere. Back in the 90s these were very good cinema speakers, even today they aren't bad, really.

onion

Nice Review - I have the updated versions of these (M&K IW150s and IW300s). The installer had originally placed the speakers too high. There was a dramatic improvement on lowering them so that they were ear height.
I don't hear much seat-to-seat variation with these. I wonder how the directivity errors play out when the system is multichannel. Does this mask what is uncovered when testing a single speaker?

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hello, I ran my optimiser and it generated an anechoic EQ that mostly flatten the LW and the PIR but degrade the ON a bit. You cannot optimise all at the same time because we have a non linear directivity.

The Harman score climbs from 3.9 to 5.2 (and with a perfect subwoofer from 7.1 to 8.0).

The EQ is limited to a 3dB boost, Q<3 and use 1 LS and 9 PKs. If you use only 3, the score is 4.9 which is reasonable compromise.

filters_eq.jpg

As always, you can check the consistency of the Klippel (S150 v.s. S150 THX, I am unsure if it is the same one or not).
One is measured by ErinsAudioCorner and the other one by ASR.

newplot (2).png

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't hear much seat-to-seat variation with these. I wonder how the directivity errors play out when the system is multichannel. Does this mask what is uncovered when testing a single speaker?
Certainly other speakers fill in. I tested this one by moving to the right and there is definitely uneven response with angle.

SegaCD

Thanks for testing my speaker, @amirm! I'm happy to see that the hype at the time was quite accurate, and perhaps, even more importantly, it functions as advertised!

First, these tiny 12"x10"x12" speakers were 100% designed to work with subwoofers. The sub & satellite combo was M&K's thing. Not surprised at all that a bass boost was of benefit.
Second, I haven't set these up in a HT setting yet, but I have used them in a stereo setting (with its matching mirror-imaged-baffle brother) and the measurements and Amir's opinions reflect my own experience: These are bright speakers by design, but they're not grating speakers. They scream but scream with purpose. They work well for movies (good clarity for dialog) and critical listening, but they're not good for everyday background music. Also, my understanding is that the "THX" standard defined the sound signature of these speakers with the earlier non-THX S-100s being a bit easier on the ears.

It should be noted that Erin tested the more recent production S-150 (by the company who bought the M&K name) and it seem to be quite similar in performance: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/m_and_k_s150/
Its interesting to know that you can pretty much mix and match these 30 year old speakers with the more modern S-150s and they'll blend together quite well. (It's also a boon to buy these used for a discount vs. the $1.5K MSRP of current production units...)

On a side note, even though the original M&K went out of business in 2007, Mr. Kreisel himself is still happy to talk about his classic M&K speakers, and I've very recently talked to him about some M&K S-1Bs & a Volkswoofer from the early 80's. Not only did he supply me with brochures & schematics, but he gave me an excellent suggestion for a company to help rebuild the woofer (which was way more than a simple refoam job) and discussed replacement tweeters for the S-1Bs with me. The original engineer helped me rebuild my almost 40-year-old speaker system. He's a truly cool dude!

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Now that is an interesting review! The M&K HT speakers were indeed as @amirm put it, the cat's meow back in the day.

Plenty of drivers, plenty of power handling and a compact foot (wall) print.

Is there any chance the 5k resonance is a loose screw/part/terminal plate- not driver related?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Is there any chance the 5k resonance is a loose screw/part/terminal plate- not driver related?
Wouldn't that show up in THD as well?

Edit: E.g. from the ASR Directiva review:
This is an active design so I build a compact system to drive it comprising of the Minidsp 2x4 HD and SMSL VMV A2 desktop amplifier. The combination sat on top of the speaker with a pad under it.
ASR Directiva Measurement Distortion Open Source Purifi Speaker.png

Last edited:

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Wouldn't that show up in THD as well?

I don't know. Klippel is pretty smart and @amirm knows it pretty well. It can exclude a bunch of stuff in processing I'd expect. Say the mike (mic) is right in front of the driver doing its thing and the rear terminal plate is vibrating to the stimuli. It will be delayed and maybe excluded.

ManuCV

Love to see these reviews of old speakers.
I have a Ken Kreisel (the "K" in M+K) subwoofer which I adore (DXD-808).

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is not showing up anywhere else so hard to explain it.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
As always, you can check the consistency of the Klippel (S150 v.s. S150 THX, I am unsure if it is the same one or not).
One is measured by ErinsAudioCorner and the other one by ASR.
It seems that the directivity is worse in the new design!

nerdstrike

For those of us too poor/studenty/young to be obsessing over hifi in the 90s, what would a home theatre configuration of these look like?

A row of them across the room, so the poor end seats don't get the rubbish end of the deal? A pair aimed squarely at each seat? Home theatre for one?

Reactions: GDK

Tassin

Very interesting review. Due to space restrictions, I'm thinking of wall-mounted speakers. I mean, speakers that were to designed to be wall-mounted, not compact bookshelf speakers that can also be mounted to a wall. Dr. Toole is very clear in his book on this subject. Thinking of Lyngdorf FR-1 or MH-2, or the recently launched M&K D95. Obviuosly to be paired to one or two subs. I wonder how they would measure and hold up against towers. How seriously would FR be impacted and compensated for by the design?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thank you for this test, @amirm. Like you, I always wanted to know how they performed.

Is it possible to test three dome's emissions separately? I assume they use some sort of a d'Appolito set-up but knowing the crossover frequency between them would be nice.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is it possible to test three domes emissions separately? I assume they use some sort of a d'Appolito set-up but knowing the crossover frequency between them would be nice.
I would have to mount an auxiliary platform to NFS as the tweeters are so far to the left. I tested one of them and it made no sense that all three would be like that. So you are likely correct that each is driven differently.

charlielaub

Ah, I remember these speakers. In the 1990s I was a proud owner of Snell Model K II (8" 2-way) but I read some glowing reviews of these M&K speakers so I drove 3 hours to a store where they had them to do some listening. I brought my K II pair along so I could A-B them. Honestly, the M&K sounded awful, so I am rather surprised that they measure OK. The Snells were clearly much better sounding (even to the guys who worked there) and after about 45 minutes I packed up my own speakers and headed back home.

beagleman

Major Contributor
Great review, and mostly great speaker from another era!
Of course essential to high pass these around 100-120 hz and use a sub.

Would make fantastic surround channel speakers with multiple cabinets strategically placed around rear of room.

beagleman

Major Contributor
For those of us too poor/studenty/young to be obsessing over hifi in the 90s, what would a home theatre configuration of these look like?

A row of them across the room, so the poor end seats don't get the rubbish end of the deal? A pair aimed squarely at each seat? Home theatre for one?
cinema and home theatre are intentionally limited dispersion wise.

That is simply part of the experience and a THX requirement to be certified.
If the sound was widely dispersed, yes, it would be heard more evenly by more up close seats, but that is not the intention to give good sound to all.
The intention is to strategically place several surrounds around back to give a pinpoint sound to many listeners, so they can localize the sound, instead of a smear of sound all over.

For the L,C,R speakers an adequate sized room is needed so viewers are NOT on top of the speakers or overly close.
Trust me, limited dispersion is a lot better in the end, when well implemented and at the proper distancing.

You want to hear the sound from a limited angle to localize it to the screen.

That is why bose 901 are horrible for home theater and cinema, a huge wash of sound from no specific point.

Top Bottom