• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a small Speaker (active or passive), woofer not bigger than 4 Inches preferably

AmielMix

Hi,

I am looking for a small Speaker (active or passive) woofer, not bigger than 4 Inches preferably

I just want a small speaker with good balance, don't need the system to be loud, just a good balanced speaker that may have a different voice from what I have (Dutch & Dutch 8C and Amphion Two15).

It doesn't have to be the most exquisite sound but yes something that sounds good (maybe a kind of average audiophile sound in a small speaker?, for a lack of better word), also can be a very affordable system, doesn't look at my speakers as a reference of price/quality, etc, as I am looking for contrast...if something is good and cheap...why not?

I just want to have a different perspective in a small speaker, for nearfield use, and yes I know a 4 Inch woofer will have a limited bass response

If the speaker is passive and you have a good amp match I would appreciate your opinion.

Thank you in advance.

Last edited:

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
What listening setup? Desk/nearfield? Or something roomier?

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Neumann KH 80 DSP?

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

fineMen

Major Contributor
Sure, I just want that limited consumer perspective
You're a producer? If so, I don't get the idea. Recomendations would seek out for the best within those boundaries you set. That's not the general consumer's perspective.

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
for real consumer reference I would go with some highly popular single wireless speaker, preferably with wired line input for ease of use and low latency, like Sonos Era 100, Bose Soundlink Revolve II. You also gain completely different way of rendering stereo. Getting something neutral like KH80 wouldn't be much different than just putting high pass filter on D&D

Last edited:

VMAT4

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe the Kanto YU4 is more like what you're looking for if you want a limited consumer perspective. You might also want to give us a price point or range to work with.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
as I am looking for contrast...if something is good and cheap...why not?
I'd say it's not that critical as long as you get familiar with it to learn what a good mix sounds like, and how the current production compares to a known-good reference recording.

Decades ago, Yamaha NS10's and Auratones were popular in studios and some studios probably still have them. I don't know if there's anything that "standard" now.

But most mixing/mastering engineers re-check their work on several different setups, depending what's in the studio and what they happen to have.... With headphones, maybe earbuds, in their car, on their home stereo, their TV, a boom-box, etc.

...woofer not bigger than 4-inches.
to paraphrase Crocodile Dundee, "You call that a woofer?" :D

Last edited:

ReDFoX

Reactions: HQY

fineMen

Major Contributor
As KH80 user, I agree
Madonna's "Ray Of Light" for instance. It was times and again promoted as a test case for good bass response. No bass at all, actually. It is about the structure of indications of bass that focuses in the region of 80..150Hz. Some technicolor 'as if'. The drama is in the midrange about 1kHz plus more arbitray zing in the 4kHz region. The whole album is all to clearly downmixed to accomodate to low(est, do the limbo,) fidelity replay. Think of 'telephone'.

With a 4" driver (hilariously my prefered size for a compression treble unit) even that 800..150Hz will pose a severe challenge at humanly reasonable levels. I don't know of any that would master it, Genelec's race track drivers maybe.

But that wasn't the quest. What in this arena of restrictions would be typical?!

in case: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...research-lgk-2-0-speaker-review-a-joke.34783/

Last edited:

ewwwDavid

Had the LSX 2 and it’s a nice all in one option albeit expensive. Currently have the Kanto YUP4 but decided instead to go with passive Wharfedale 12.0 instead which will be here tomorrow. Using the Fosi v3 right now.

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

You're a producer? If so, I don't get the idea. Recomendations would seek out for the best within those boundaries you set. That's not the general consumer's perspective.
i have my speakers that I am very happy with, but want a small speaker, more limited and not a "studio" speaker...want a different reference

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

Madonna's "Ray Of Light" for instance. It was times and again promoted as a test case for good bass response. No bass at all, actually. It is about the structure of indications of bass that focuses in the region of 80..150Hz. Some technicolor 'as if'. The drama is in the midrange about 1kHz plus more arbitray zing in the 4kHz region. The whole album is all to clearly downmixed to accomodate to low(est, do the limbo,) fidelity replay. Think of 'telephone'.

With a 4" driver (hilariously my prefered size for a compression treble unit) even that 800..150Hz will pose a severe challenge at humanly reasonable levels. I don't know of any that would master it, Genelec's race track drivers maybe.

But that wasn't the quest. What in this arena of restrictions would be typical?!

in case: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...research-lgk-2-0-speaker-review-a-joke.34783/
that is a very cool post, and yes, limited speaker focus the audio in a different spectrum. a limited speaker with a smaller woofer would do that. show you more the midrange and reveal the mix in a different way, so if your mix is pretty ggod represented in a small and in a bigger more highend speaker, you have a better balanced mix...

fineMen

Major Contributor
that is a very cool post, and yes, limited speaker focus the audio in a different spectrum. a limited speaker with a smaller woofer would do that. show you more the midrange and reveal the mix in a different way, so if your mix is pretty ggod represented in a small and in a bigger more highend speaker, you have a better balanced mix...
I always, without any exception, advertize the notion that recording and mixing is a creative process that may be regarded as an art like writing, painting, you get the idea. I imagine an artist after applying some other changes to her work stepping back as to judge the overall impression. V. Van Gogh wearing glasses restricting his eye sight from orange to cyan? Because the audience might not be able to see the full spectrum. And in your case, what defects are you anticipating, actually. At least technically there are several distinctive parameters touched.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

MachOne

I've been referencing mixes on an Apple Homepod recently (the bigger one). It's great, will highlight if the bass is overdone and gives you a mono listening reference too.

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

I've been referencing mixes on an Apple Homepod recently (the bigger one). It's great, will highlight if the bass is overdone and gives you a mono listening reference too.
actually this is interesting as I always check with the white Apple ear-pods as most use it with their iPhone as is pretty balance I would say...

Now seems that these Homepodd are mono right? so may need a pair

thanks

Top Bottom