• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Buying Advice For Desktop In Small Room

boydad

Hello! Long time lurker, first time post. I am hoping that the community can help me pick active desktop speakers.

This is for a very small room (7ft depth x 13ft width x 6ft height / 2.1m depth x 4m width x 1.8m height). I also have very limited desk space. If need, I am willing to find a solution for the space needed. I will not be critically listening; this is for enjoyment. That being said, I do want quality speakers (measure well). I do not like "bright speakers" as I have tinnitus and highs can get fatiguing very quickly. I have never heard a ribbon tweeter that did not bother my ears. Yet, I am always willing to try. Also, I will not be listening loudly, never above 85db (usually closer to 60db). Source will be from my laptop to a DAC (either Modi+ or JDS Atom, with the matching amp for headphones). My ideal budget for the speakers is $500 USD. They can be used or new. I can increase my budget, but I hope not to increase it. I am also upgrading my main stereo, and any additional funds will come from that.

I have looked at the usual suspects: Audioengine A5+, Kanto Yu6, JBL 305P MKII, Kali LP-6 V2. I have also looked at Focal Alpha 65, KEF LSX, iLoud MTM, Neumann KH80, and Genelec 8010. I am not sure I can justify the price increase for this particular use. My main concern is that in this small room, I am looking at speakers that are too large for this situation and will overwhelm the room. Perhaps I should be looking at speakers with 3 or 4 inch woofers?

So, please share your thought on what you think is the best option in this situation.

Edited to update room size.

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
Is there anything that you have listened to you really liked?
Is a sub a possibility?
Bass accounts for a lot of our enjoyment of music. You don't need thunderous bass but having some bass will give a richer, fuller sound. Typically, the smaller the woofer the less bass you have.

OP
B

boydad

I have heard a few. The Audioengine I heard in a store when I was looking for something else. It seemed good, but it wasn’t a real listening test. I heard the Kali, it seemed fine, but didn’t make me want to keep listening. I heard the Adams, but don’t recall how I felt. Sadly, guitar center is a lit the only place I can hear them, and that isn’t ideal. Those are everything on the list I have heard.

A sub is absolutely a possibility, I can easily add one under my desk. But would want to include that in my total budget.

GD Fan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Speakers plus sub for <=$500 might be tough without going to the used market, at least for the sub. As for the speakers maybe try ordering the JBL 305 from Amazon so you can easily return them if they aren't to your liking. (Just make sure the actual seller is Amazon, other merchants on their site may have different return policies.)

The SVS SB 1000 is an excellent smallish sub but will stretch the budget unfortunately. Maybe check the sub list the excellent @sweetchaos has helpfully provided:

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
My main concern is that in this small room, I am looking at speakers that are too large for this situation and will overwhelm the room. Perhaps I should be looking at speakers with 3 or 4 inch woofers?
A majority of 3"/4" class speakers suuuhck. The good ones tend to be kind of expensive and still have their limits on the low end.

I might look at some KRK RP5G4s. A good bit more compact than the LP6v2, goes pretty deep for a 5" (much like the LSR305, thanks to DSP), low hiss levels, decent dispersion. Plus some desk stands of sorts and a basic balanced DAC (e.g. Topping D10 Balanced) or audio interface (maybe an "old" 3rd gen Scarlett Solo or similar?) depending on how you want to connect a measurement microphone (small rooms tend to have rather nasty modes, and yours is almost 2:1:1). If you are sensitive to treble, I would also make sure that the room is not too reflective, by means of explicit acoustic treatment if need be.

BTW, what order are these room measurements in, more specifically which one is the height? WHD seems unlikely, you rarely see 4 m high rooms. I can't quite believe 1.8 m of height either though, unless that's some sort of basement (in which case I hope you are short). 2.1 m would make the most sense but I don't know of any convention that starts with height.

Last edited:
OP
B

boydad

@GD Fan good thoughts on the subwoofer. I had not given that the thought that I should. I will be looking into that.

@AnalogSteph I will take a look at the KRK RP5G. The room is the difficult part in this case. I totally had a typo in the room size for feet, it is 7ft (2.1m) depth x 13ft (4m) width x 6ft (1.8m) height. (Unfortunately, I am not short; I am taller than the room). It is in a basement with concrete floors. I have carpets on the floor and books against the walls. I am hoping that helps with the reflections, which will be an issue.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
I love my Vanatoo Transparent Zero Plus pair that I've had for a few weeks. They measure well, take up very little desk space, can be placed either angling slightly up for when you are using the desk, or normal/vertical for listening from further away. Plenty loud for your space. They are also extremely adjustable sonically, so you can cut the treble, bump up the bass, etc. Lots of options to eq the sound.

uwotm8

I'd try to get used Dynaudio MC15 or BM5A Compact if I was searching for smooth, comfortable, non-agressive yet "right" sound. Dedicated sub (SUB250MC or BM9s) moves them to another level but even without that it's just a joy.

P.S. The room is really tiny so maybe put iLoud Micro on a list?

scrubb

Forum Donor
I use Vanatoo Transparent Zeros with an inexpensive Polk 10" sub. The Zeros have a Sub-out connection and manage the crossover. Sounds great on the desktop and includes many connection options.

In the review by @amirm you'll see the highs are a little hot, but the Zero's treble control takes care of it just fine if you don't have any other dsp. I see they are now selling the Transparent Zero *Plus*. It's possible they've altered the high frequency response, as it shows a smoother graph on their website (although all manufacturers show flat graphs on their websites).

OP
B

boydad

I will take a look at the Vanatoo Transparent Zeros and the Dynaudios. Both were not on my list. I have heard good things about Vanatoo and I have loved every Dynaudio I have heard.

I am definitely going to get some sort of dsp. I am just new to dsp, so I need to learn about it. Obviously, there is a treasure-trove of information on this site.

One another note, I really want to avoid hearing hiss. As long as it isn't audible more than a few inches away, it will be fine. I think that is my biggest concern with the JBLs.

Last edited:
Top Bottom