• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Under $400/pair powered speaker recommendation

surroundman

Hello, everyone. I am currently using SMSL DL200 DAC, Fosi V3 amp, Neumi BS5 (passive) speakers and two Monoprice Monolith 8 inch subs. I am having way too hard time with matching the volume of the speakers/subs.
What I am looking for is a good pair of active speakers so all I do is change the volume from the DAC to simultaneously control the volume to the speakers (through the balanced output) and the subwoofers (through the RCA output).
Which speakers under $400/pair will be the most suitable for my PC desktop use purpose? As the speakers will be fairly close, having no hiss is a must. Having a balanced input will be preferable but not a must - my subwoofers have both RCA in and RCA out. And then, naturally, having subwoofers would mean that the speakers do not really need to go too low. Also, a standby function is also preferred.

Thank you!

rationaltime

I like Adam Audio as desktop monitors. They have a clean neutral sound and
no idle noise. I suggest you look at the Adam T5V which fits your budget.
Amir reviewed it here -> Adam T5V Review (Studio Monitor)

The Adam speakers have balanced inputs (or selectable unbalanced RCA)
and individual volume controls, but no standby. I plug the monitors and
a USB to XLR digital to analog converter with volume control into a power
strip. I switch on and off at the power strip.

The larger Adam T7V also fits your buget. Though they have a lower cut
off frequency, larger mostly just gets you louder. Desktop use doesn't
need that.

Some sub-woofers pass the main line level audio signal out to the channel
monitors. Then the input level changes affect all the speakers. Are you able
to try that?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Kali LP-6 or LP-8 win here IMO.

OP
surroundman

surroundman

Thanks for your suggestions. What is the hiss/idle noise experience with the Kali and Adam speakers? Among their different woofer sizes, which one(s) would be the better buy in terms of lower distortion?

@rationaltime my subwoofers' outputs are just pass-through.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
I don't know all of your electronics but I don't think you have a way to highpass and integrate your subs with your mains. I'd recommend a minidsp 2x4 or something along those lines instead of your dac. Far better to manage your bass than whatever you're getting from having a high sinad dac.

Top Bottom