• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Big sounding mini speakers

OP
R

Roy_L

I'ts way better than I thought, But I wouldn't call it flat. Also, I see that most of the bass energy is around ~95Hz and ~55Hz.

Ellebob

Forum Donor
One advantage of an active speaker like Sonos is they can change the response based on volume to account for our hearing deficiency at lower volumes.

Flexecutioner

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX. They measure great and have a ton of bass for a bookshelf. I haven't heard them myself, but I own their towers.

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the Ascend Acoustics Sierra LX. They measure great and have a ton of bass for a bookshelf. I haven't heard them myself, but I own their towers.

It fits the bill with the upper end of a mini, and great little speaker.

JLGF1

Size wise I think of the Ascend Sierras as more of a standard bookshelf size. And the Phil Mini's as more, well, mini (there is a 4 inch and a 5 inch model). The Ascend Luna is more in the size category of the Phil Mini's.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think if you want deep bass from small boxes going active might be your best chance, as it is easier to add bass energy with active crossovers. Of course this comes with a trade off as your maximum output may more limited.

Some words from Amirs review of the 5 inch woofer 400$/pair Adam T5V resonate with what you are looking for:

Combining it with a sub 200$ budget SMSL or Topping DAC with remote could make an interesting secondary system at a great price point.

I hadn't paid much attention to that review when Amir first published it, but those seem like a great value for desktop/nearfield use. Would also make fantastic TV speakers for a stereo, non-home theater setup.

Elkerton

I am partial to these Revel M105s with subs though they do remarkably well without:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Disclaimer: This is a question having to do more with psychoacoustics and subjective listening, although any measure-based answer will be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a pair of mini speakers which sound "big", while understanding this means substantial compromises. In the early years of this hobby, when I new very little and was easily impressionable, I fell many times for the "magic" of a small pair of mini bookshelf speakers (usually ~5.25 inch woofer, ~6 inch at most), which totally blew my expectations regarding how rich and deep they could sound ("No subwoofer connected? No way!"). I suppose this would require speakers with a driver capable of big excursion, some (rear?) port trickery, exaggerated upper bass and no actual bass whatsoever. Of course, nowadays I use much larger, properly engineered speakers with a sub in my main system; however, I want to try and recreate that past experience in another room just for fun.

Can anyone think of such "magically tuned" speakers?
LS35A’s are magical. Very hard to drive and way too expensive.

D

Deleted member 48726

Disclaimer: This is a question having to do more with psychoacoustics and subjective listening, although any measure-based answer will be greatly appreciated.

I'm looking for a pair of mini speakers which sound "big", while understanding this means substantial compromises. In the early years of this hobby, when I new very little and was easily impressionable, I fell many times for the "magic" of a small pair of mini bookshelf speakers (usually ~5.25 inch woofer, ~6 inch at most), which totally blew my expectations regarding how rich and deep they could sound ("No subwoofer connected? No way!"). I suppose this would require speakers with a driver capable of big excursion, some (rear?) port trickery, exaggerated upper bass and no actual bass whatsoever. Of course, nowadays I use much larger, properly engineered speakers with a sub in my main system; however, I want to try and recreate that past experience in another room just for fun.

Can anyone think of such "magically tuned" speakers?
These speakers come to mind which I've owned or heard. They all impress with dispersion and how they make a much larger sound than their appearance-->
1. Libratone Zipp and Zipp mini
2. Sonos
3. Harman Kardon Onyx

CerealKiller

Maybe some one already mentioned this, but you could check Vanatoo's line of speakers, Transparent Zero and Transparent One (I belive the most recent is One Encore)

Short38

Dynaudio Special 40s. Go pretty low and can play loud if you like. Regret selling mine.

Chr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Not sure what your budget is or how you define "mini", but I recently bought a pair of Neumann KH310s and for their size they are amazing. They go very loud and are a fraction of the size of the Tannoy V12s they sit on top of. Using them with twin subs myself. Extremely good and very efficient for their size.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor
Apparently the DSP will quickly dial back the low end at elevated volumes, which does not sound entirely pretty, but a 3" class speaker which is flat to 55 Hz (if only at modest levels) is nonetheless impressive.
I recently combined the micro monitors with the monoprice monolith 8 inch subwoofer and this thing, in the nearfield, sounds massive, and doesn't have nearly as many room issues in the bass as does my main midfield setup.

ooheadsoo

Forum Donor

I heard these recently, and I think lots of people could be satisfied with these without a subwoofer. The bass and soundstage are impressive.

Top Bottom