• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for a small Speaker (active or passive), woofer not bigger than 4 Inches preferably

MachOne

actually this is interesting as I always check with the white Apple ear-pods as most use it with their iPhone as is pretty balance I would say...

Now seems that these Homepodd are mono right? so may need a pair

thanks

I use just one as it is more useful in mono for me as this is the most common way people use them. The bass is exaggerated on them and it's a good way to check your bass isn't going to be out of control when it goes out onto this sort of device.

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
Vanatoo Transparent Zero Plus. I think they sound pretty great for their size, they are actives, and they can even be positioned differently for near field and mid field listening. Definitely check them out. I imagine the One Encore Plus sounds even better.

Steven Holt

Forum Donor
Oh, I'm going to get grief for this, but -- if you use them in nearfield...I repeat NEARFIELD -- then the Micca RB42 just might do the job for you. They have a 3 db dropdown and the bass will whump ya......did I mention that you have to use them NEARFIELD??

JLGF1

Ascend 200SE Four inch woofer... you didn't specify how many. :)

Ascend HTM-200SE.jpg

Last edited:
OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

for real consumer reference I would go with some highly popular single wireless speaker, preferably with wired line input for ease of use and low latency, like Sonos Era 100, Bose Soundlink Revolve II. You also gain completely different way of rendering stereo. Getting something neutral like KH80 wouldn't be much different than just putting high pass filter on D&D

exactly, even tho are diffences between highed Sudio Monitors, there are similarities in the voicing .. and you are right i want some contrast in the voicing and not only frequency response of the speaker

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

Vanatoo Transparent Zero Plus. I think they sound pretty great for their size, they are actives, and they can even be positioned differently for near field and mid field listening. Definitely check them out. I imagine the One Encore Plus sounds even better.
that looks like a badboy!! and super compact...the price I guess is for one speaker right ($449 each)?

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

Oh, I'm going to get grief for this, but -- if you use them in nearfield...I repeat NEARFIELD -- then the Micca RB42 just might do the job for you. They have a 3 db dropdown and the bass will whump ya......did I mention that you have to use them NEARFIELD??
this looks great too, thanks for the info

YSC

Major Contributor
i have my speakers that I am very happy with, but want a small speaker, more limited and not a "studio" speaker...want a different reference
Can consider KEF LSX, fostex PM0.4

JLGF1

this looks interesting in so many way, do you have them?
I have the V1's with the Peerless tweeter. The current V2 (SE) have an SEAS tweeter. They are sealed, not ported.

200 SE specs

fineMen

Major Contributor
Can consider KEF LSX, fostex PM0.4
+1 for the KEFs**. They are very limited in bass whilst quite o/k-ish if used at low background volumes, a bit shouty simply due to a decidedly forward frequency response.

One may also assume that customers will regularly exploit the output capabilities of their set-up fully, accepting a certain amount of distortion, which is determined by the set-up. The signature, as to find a word, of the usually very limited stereo (5.1) set-up is something to be determined.

I always wondered for which reasons the standard 'bad' speakers, Yamaha, Aurasound, are chosen as that standard. It cannot be bass extension alone, because that could be set using an equalizer for the main monitors. Distortion, maybe, but a software simulation should be available. Intermodulation is a hot candidate but the amount of IM varies wildly with use case, size, quality, extension etc pp.

Briefly, how come to have a 'standard bad' and what is it actually? Motivation: if the double check against 'bad' is part of studio technologies and methods, it should be well described, technically. I think it is consensus that there is only one 'perfect' but there are infinitely many 'bads'.

** equalize the LSX in bass for full detrimental effect :rolleyes:, see also: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-lsx-review-wireless-speaker.24802/

Last edited:
OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

anybody checked the Edifiers?
+1 for the KEFs**. They are very limited in bass whilst quite o/k-ish if used at low background volumes, a bit shouty simply due to a decidedly forward frequency response.

One may also assume that customers will regularly exploit the output capabilities of their set-up fully, accepting a certain amount of distortion, which is determined by the set-up. The signature, as to find a word, of the usually very limited stereo (5.1) set-up is something to be determined.

I always wondered for which reasons the standard 'bad' speakers, Yamaha, Aurasound, are chosen as that standard. It cannot be bass extension alone, because that could be set using an equalizer for the main monitors. Distortion, maybe, but a software simulation should be available. Intermodulation is a hot candidate but the amount of IM varies wildly with use case, size, quality, extension etc pp.

Briefly, how come to have a 'standard bad' and what is it actually? Motivation: if the double check against 'bad' is part of studio technologies and methods, it should be well described, technically. I think it is consensus that there is only one 'perfect' but there are infinitely many 'bads'.

** equalize the LSX in bass for full detrimental effect :rolleyes:, see also: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/kef-lsx-review-wireless-speaker.24802/
thank you so much for sharing this, this is really a great forum

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

Anybody compared the Micca RB42 vs the Ascend Audio HTM-200SE?

I see the Micca has more low end and that ascend audio has a great tweeter and both with an optimal juice (amp) can fill the room (that is good, but not my first interest), but my question goes about the voice characteristics, which one is more HiFI, or which one resemble more a descent consumer system/speaker or which one are more different from a "studio" speaker?

Thanks in advance

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
LS50 Meta, 5" but it's a small box. Alan Jones designed a speaker for Pioneer with a 4" mid/woofer. They are dirt cheap and sound good.

OP
AmielMix

AmielMix

LS50 Meta, 5" but it's a small box. Alan Jones designed a speaker for Pioneer with a 4" mid/woofer. They are dirt cheap and sound good.
Yes, I heard about that small pioneer speaker...do you remember the original model? maybe it was the SP-BS21-LR ?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, I heard about that small pioneer speaker...do you remember the original model? maybe it was the SP-BS21-LR ?
Reviewed by Amir with the @Dennis Murphy mod.

Top Bottom