• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF's new Metamaterial Absorption Technology

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Cool , would be interesting if this uni-q development eventually showed up in the R series to :)

For some reason I believe coaxial belongs in 3 way’s .

Wonder if they ever considered an active R series speaker ?

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OMG is that an hdmi ARC port on the back of the new LS50W ?
Take my money

If it can work in a HT type of situation, some kind of HT bypass or CEC to play well with AVRs ...

1600748563097.png

I have the LS50Ws now. I'm trying to figure out how to use these things in a HT w/AVR I feel like the main character in a Daren Aronofsky movie.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Website got updated with new info!
giphy.gif

KEF LS50 Meta
Passive speaker (non-amplified).
Site
Information Sheet (pdf)
Price (per pair): £1000 / $1499 / AU$2495
Available now! (website stock sold-out immediately)
Available in 4 colours (3 matte finishes, Carbon Black, Titanium Grey, Mineral White as well as a Royale Blue Special Edition )
1600758301142.png

1600758317711.png

1600758325090.png

1600758329137.png

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

KEF LS50 Wireless II
Active Speaker (with built-in amplifier).
Site
Information Sheet (pdf)
Price (per pair): £2250 / $2499 / AU$4295
Expected to ship in November.
Available in 4 colours (3 matte finishes, Carbon Black, Titanium Grey, Mineral White as well as a Crimson Red Special Edition.)
1600758486836.png

1600758403829.png

1600758423603.png

1600758409638.png

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

SoundStage posted new video:
Thanks to @Doug Schneider for the heads up!

Just Audio, on Youtube, announced they'll be doing an unboxing video shortly:
https://www.youtube.com/c/JustAudioHiFi/videos

Last edited:

JDragon

The white and blue are my favorite, but there isn’t a single ugly colorway (even the gamer-y red/black is fine and I hate that color combo). KEF sure knows how to make good looking speakers.

andymok

I’ll wait until the absorber works down to the woofer, ie MF-LF where most needed the technology.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I’ll wait until the absorber works down to the woofer, ie MF-LF where most needed the technology.
I am afraid that an equivalent tubes labyrinth for LF would be too large for most loudspeakers but maybe at least for MF.

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

600Hz is already quite surprising low imo.

EDIT: to be clear though, AFAIK it only works for the tweeter. Just think it's interesting that it's effective that low even if there's not that much tweeter energy yet. I just wonder what they will do on future high end models. They might be able to get a woofer-sized metamaterial working for a new reference series

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
They are finally understanding that people want matte finishes and not unsightly shiny glossy things in their living space

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
600Hz is already quite surprising low imo.

EDIT: to be clear though, AFAIK it only works for the tweeter. Just think it's interesting that it's effective that low even if there's not that much tweeter energy yet. I just wonder what they will do on future high end models. They might be able to get a woofer-sized metamaterial working for a new reference series

The white paper talks about both axial and radial metamaterials. A metamaterial approach in the Vivid/B&W rear tube form factor could push bandwidth down.

HooStat

The white and blue are my favorite, but there isn’t a single ugly colorway (even the gamer-y red/black is fine and I hate that color combo). KEF sure knows how to make good looking speakers.

I wish I could agree with you. There isn't one color that I could get into my house. Bummer. The contrasting drivers just don't work for my spouse.

Last edited:

jae

Major Contributor
I wish I could agree with you. There isn't one color that I could get into my house. Bummer. The contrasting drivers just don't work for my spouse.

I have a strong distaste for "coloured" products, especially when it comes to electronics and expensive/functional items. I don't think i've willingly brought anything that wasn't a neutral colour like grey or black, and maybe white or brown etc. if I didn't have to. If it wasn't for some of my wooden furniture my living space would look like a prison. But I must admit, the blue/gold one is gorgeous

HooStat

I have a strong distaste for "coloured" products, especially when it comes to electronics and expensive/functional items. I don't think i've willingly brought anything that wasn't a neutral colour like grey or black, and maybe white or brown etc. if I didn't have to. If it wasn't for some of my wooden furniture my living space would look like a prison. But I must admit, the blue/gold one is gorgeous
I actually like some of the colors -- I like the blue too. I just wish they would offer one "boring" color (all black?) for those with decors that don't handle two-tone colors like these.

Dogan

Their KEF Control & Stream apps are a mess. I never understood why they decided to publish 2 different apps the control the same speaker anyway. I hope they take a look at it while they are releasing the new wireless version.

Kachda

Forum Donor
Their KEF Control & Stream apps are a mess. I never understood why they decided to publish 2 different apps the control the same speaker anyway. I hope they take a look at it while they are releasing the new wireless version.
As per the Darko review (preview ?), the app has been merged into a single one.

Top Bottom