• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Trying to Measure Microphones. Added some absorption around the test speaker and the results are weird.

ChrisG

Hi all,

I've been pondering this one for a while. I couldn't think of a sensible explanation by myself, so thought I'd see if anyone around here has any clues.

My aim is simple: I'd like to be able to measure microphones. I'm a live sound engineer, and use a variety of mics for my work. I'd like to be able to measure them to ensure they're working properly, performance isn't degrading, and also to satisfy my own curiosity.

My test speaker isn't anything special. It appears to be a Vifa TG9, but with a black cone. The cone still has the same texture of the usual white version, so I expect it was done for a custom order. It's in a sealed box and good for about 150Hz-15kHz. REW's calibration holds up okay for slow rolloffs, so I'm happy collecting data down to about 50Hz, so long as there's no external noise to mess things up.

Moving on towards the mystery:
When I put a microphone in front of the speaker and run sweeps, there are plenty of reflections clearly visible. The room is small, and doesn't have much absorption. In order to eliminate some of the reflections, I made an absorbing tube to put over the cone of the test speaker, so I could put the mic at the other end and reduce the amount of sound thrown sideways. NB: most stage mics are pretty insensitive to sound arriving from the rear, so sound going past the mic and bouncing back is a smaller concern.

The construction of the tube is very simple. There's a layer of steel speaker grille (the most "open" I could find) which is curved into a 5" diameter tube, and then I added an inch thickness of recycled wool underlay to the inside. That matched nicely to the 3" cone of the test speaker. I then wrapped the outside in another inch of wool. In essence, then, there's 2" of wool and a thin steel mesh enclosing the mic and speaker. Open at the mic end, closed at the speaker end.

The impulse response showed improvement, with a lot of nearby HF reflections disappearing almost entirely. An excellent result!

What surprised me, however, was the dramatic change in the frequency response:

Cylinder vs Raw.png

Unfortunately, there was a power cut while REW was open, and my knackered old laptop shut down instantly. I've recovered the with-cylinder measurement (green) as a text file which I'd saved for future use, and compared it to a previous measurement (blue) of the speaker.

The response was pretty flat, and now there's a ~30dB swing from 150Hz to 3kHz. Same mic, same interface, same speaker. I had expected no change in the >10kHz range, where the speaker's beamwidth is narrow, and for the absorption to tame some reflection-related "fuzz" in the range where the absorption would be happening. ie, no effect below 500Hz-ish, but better above that.

So, any ideas about why the response shape has changed so much? Shall I just add it to my speaker calibration file and call it good?

Thanks in advance. This one really has me stumped.

Chris

Hi all,

I've been pondering this one for a while. I couldn't think of a sensible explanation by myself, so thought I'd see if anyone around here has any clues.

My aim is simple: I'd like to be able to measure microphones. I'm a live sound engineer, and use a variety of mics for my work. I'd like to be able to measure them to ensure they're working properly, performance isn't degrading, and also to satisfy my own curiosity.

My test speaker isn't anything special. It appears to be a Vifa TG9, but with a black cone. The cone still has the same texture of the usual white version, so I expect it was done for a custom order. It's in a sealed box and good for about 150Hz-15kHz. REW's calibration holds up okay for slow rolloffs, so I'm happy collecting data down to about 50Hz, so long as there's no external noise to mess things up.

Moving on towards the mystery:
When I put a microphone in front of the speaker and run sweeps, there are plenty of reflections clearly visible. The room is small, and doesn't have much absorption. In order to eliminate some of the reflections, I made an absorbing tube to put over the cone of the test speaker, so I could put the mic at the other end and reduce the amount of sound thrown sideways. NB: most stage mics are pretty insensitive to sound arriving from the rear, so sound going past the mic and bouncing back is a smaller concern.

The construction of the tube is very simple. There's a layer of steel speaker grille (the most "open" I could find) which is curved into a 5" diameter tube, and then I added an inch thickness of recycled wool underlay to the inside. That matched nicely to the 3" cone of the test speaker. I then wrapped the outside in another inch of wool. In essence, then, there's 2" of wool and a thin steel mesh enclosing the mic and speaker. Open at the mic end, closed at the speaker end.

The impulse response showed improvement, with a lot of nearby HF reflections disappearing almost entirely. An excellent result!

What surprised me, however, was the dramatic change in the frequency response:

View attachment 310744

Unfortunately, there was a power cut while REW was open, and my knackered old laptop shut down instantly. I've recovered the with-cylinder measurement (green) as a text file which I'd saved for future use, and compared it to a previous measurement (blue) of the speaker.

The response was pretty flat, and now there's a ~30dB swing from 150Hz to 3kHz. Same mic, same interface, same speaker. I had expected no change in the >10kHz range, where the speaker's beamwidth is narrow, and for the absorption to tame some reflection-related "fuzz" in the range where the absorption would be happening. ie, no effect below 500Hz-ish, but better above that.

So, any ideas about why the response shape has changed so much? Shall I just add it to my speaker calibration file and call it good?

Thanks in advance. This one really has me stumped.

Chris
You have created a small enclosure.

OP
C

ChrisG

Thanks for the replies so far.

You have created a small enclosure.

I like the idea. This does explain the LF rise, if the wool is presenting significant resistance at LF. Is that likely?
I'm not sure that I can see where the 3-octave-wide dip at 3kHz would come from, though.

Perhaps it would be best to measure a sample of the wool, just putting a couple of layers between mic & speaker.

No, I don't think I would add it. :)
Your standard setup has the speaker radiating into half-space and your microphone is grabbing a frequency response pretty much as expected.
But, you build some sort of absorption contraption and everything goes wonky. I don't think anything about that measurement is valid....regards your microphone response.

If interested in characterizing differing microphones, I would just move them closer to your transducer.

Moving the microphone(s) under test closer to the speaker poses other problems:
- There can be significant reflections between mic and speaker, leading to a very jagged HF response. Pulling the mic away flattens it out.
- Most directional microphones have a proximity effect, where lower frequencies are boosted as the source is moved closer to the microphone.

I had hoped that I'd be able to keep the microphone a distance away from the speaker to avoid those two effects, but would also like to do close-up measurements to document the previously-mentioned proximity effect.

Chris

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
A tube not much over 3 inches could have a null in the middle close to 3 khz. Maybe try the mic off center of the tube.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Would also be explained by your wool material absorbing the most at 3-4 khz and less at higher and lower frequencies.

OP
C

ChrisG

At >10kHz, I think the speaker's beamwidth is narrower than the tube, so the sound isn't affected up there.
I could try replacing the 3" wide-range unit with a small tweeter to get wider dispersion, and see if that changes anything.

The next round of measurements will include:
- Near the edge of the tube
- Impulse response curves, so we can see which reflections have disappeared
- Perhaps a measurement with the mic inside the tube, and the speaker firing at the outside wall, so that the effective absorption can be estimated.

Any other requests?

Thanks,
Chris

Top Bottom