• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Scent Speaker developed in collaboration with KEF

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Initially I thought its one of the older KEF Aprils fool jokes but it seems it isn't:

"We're super excited to announce the first public trial of our prototype Scent Speaker developed with KEF | Kent Engineering & Foundry.

KEF approached my about a year ago asking if there was anyway I could envision using their speakers in my work. Of course I said yes but not as you currently make them... I described how I wanted a speaker which could project scent. They very boldly took up the challenge.

The speaker uses a KEF driver to power a vortex cannon which pushes the scent out to the audience. We added smoke to make it more visual as the scent comes out in the form of a vortex ring. The wave signal sent to the speaker controls the speed and shape of the ring. The audience can only smell the scent when the ring hits them and it is gone by the time it passes them by.

This is the second prototype which we gave its first outing at Haroon Mirza's sold out contemporary opera Re_Creation at the City of Birmingham Symphony Orchestra alongside the Birmingham Contemporary Music Group.

A huge thank you to the team at KEF for all their amazing work. Alex West, David Bosch Jack Oclee-Brown and Mica Bellani."

HeadDoc12

Forum Donor
As. KEF lover who is anosmic (I have never had a sense of smell), this intrigues me more than it excites me!

davidbosch

Audio Company
Hi @thewas it was not an April Fools' joke! (although it would have been a good one), we did make a smoke ring cannon with a 21" driver. You can feed a MIDI trigger signal into it from a computer and this will in turn trigger an audio signal that will pull the driver slowly and then push it quickly, squeezing the volume of air (with smoke) through a hole, thus generating a vortex ring. Here's a picture of it, not the nicest looking but it was supposed to be clad afterwards. The main idea is already floating in the internet, but it was fun to actually make one that works well and make it able to be actuated automatically.

Attachments

• KEF_cannon.jpeg
    KEF_cannon.jpeg
    309.3 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
We can all soar over California from the comfort of home!

Imagine the smell of Guns n' Roses or Wet Leg.

Top Bottom