• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kii Three + Kii Seven for Dolby atmos: how to do this?

Trev_VM

hi,

I have the Kii Three, the Kii Seven are released in 1/2 months from now.
If I want to use the Kii Seven as surrounds along with the Kii Three in a Dolby Atmos set-up, is the only way to use Dante?
I've tried to understand how to do this, but it seems arduous: above both my skills and my willingness to tinker with the system for the next year.
Would there be another way to combine them than Dante? if not, do you know if it's possible to find "Dante" experts who could set me up?

thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's a bit confusing.

Both the Three and Seven have Dolby Atmos logos on their product page and Kii speaks of how you can "combine multiple Kii THREE and Kii SEVEN units for Dolby Atmos mixing", yet nowhere do they say what that Atmos certification entails or how you're supposed to create an Atmos setup using them.

You could of course just get an Arvus H2-4D and connect to each Kii using AES3, which would be straightforward enough, but at that point, what differentiates the supposedly Atmos-enabled Three from a regular, non-Atmos speaker like a KH150 or something?

I don't get it.

Btw, I don't think Dante would work since the Three doesn't seem to support it. Only the Seven.

Reactions: GDK
OP
T

Trev_VM

Thanks. Apparently you can use a Dante avio AES3 IO adapter 2x2 on the Kii Three - it enables Dante for them too. But this is only the start of the headaches...

staticV3

Master Contributor
If you can add Dante support to the Three, then an Arvus H1-D should do the trick.

Reactions: GDK

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Perhaps have a look at this

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Here’s another review of the Audient by Warren from Produce Like A Pro, it seems like this is a very solid atmos unit, very good reviews coming in from all the studios

rirelien

Forum Donor
Perhaps have a look at this

Not sure this is what's needed; I think this is a speaker controller/multichannel DAC/speaker delays+levels/Room and speaker EQ device. Very interesting for sure, but it does not actually include an Atmos renderer. It can integrate with the Dolby Atmos Renderer for control purposes.

In the video, they show 7.1.4 channels with Apple Music playing on a Mac -- but in that scenario, Apple Music is actually doing the rendering, as I understand it.

For those wanting home Atmos setups without using an AVR, and with digital outputs to feed to active speakers with digital inputs or other kinds of outboard DACs, the Arvus setups or others highlighted elsewhere are probably still a better option.

Top Bottom