• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF R3 meta Measurements

it could have been R3 Meta vs Reference 1 Meta, but search from erin's youtube channel
Yes that’s it!

Yes that’s it!

Thanks. I would like to see Reference 1 non-meta vs R3 meta though!

Thanks. I would like to see Reference 1 non-meta vs R3 meta though!
probably too specific as well, you could compare Erin's non-meta specs/video with R3 Meta

i would expect bigger changes in speaker size or dsp vs. meta/non-meta, just my 2cent

I have a Denon x3800h on order and I was considering these, along with LS50 Meta and R3 (non meta).

Given the 4 ohms impedance, how well would the receiver be able to drive them? Not sure if makes any difference, I plan to add one or two SVS SB 1000 or 2000 subwoofers.

Any thoughts on the matter would be appreciated.

I have a Denon x3800h on order and I was considering these, along with LS50 Meta and R3 (non meta).

Given the 4 ohms impedance, how well would the receiver be able to drive them? Not sure if makes any difference, I plan to add one or two SVS SB 1000 or 2000 subwoofers.

Should be fine

Add a power amp absolutely for the subwoofer it's fine honestly I would pick the Svs 2000 and in the future add another one,the kef ls50 and R3 are both power hungry and they have a low impedance if I remember till 3 ohm or something

At all of the 3 frequency regions where the impedance drops below 4ohms, phase has a very steep angle. I doubt that they will sound their best with AVR juice. 2 of these frequencies are above 100Hz and adding a sub may not completely solve the problem.

Last edited:

Black or white non Meta R3's $1399 on KEF website. That's a steal.

In your opinion R3 Meta or R6 Meta as a center channel if one already has a pair of R3 for L&R

It all depends on how loud you go, and at what distance.
Near field at reasonable volumes, should be no problem.
If you seat far away and like to crank it up, the impedance dips will give AVRs trouble.

In your opinion R3 Meta or R6 Meta as a center channel if one already has a pair of R3 for L&R
R6 Meta.

My reason:

It all depends on how loud you go, and at what distance.
Near field at reasonable volumes, should be no problem.
If you seat far away and like to crank it up, the impedance dips will give AVRs trouble.
Thanks. I got a decent deal for a returned pair of R3 non-meta. Will listen at a bit more over 10 feet and will use a SVS SB-3000 subwoofer. I suspect it will be fine.

On Saturday I'm going to do a direct comparison with my R3 and the new R3 Meta.

I find mine a little "harsh" on the highs, I don't know if it's the fault of the Nad 399 which is too far ahead on the high frequencies (however, I don't think that the Nad is a "cold" sounding amplifier but simply neutral).

The shopkeeper told me that the Meta should be more "docile" on the treble due to the "Meta Material" inserted.....

I'll let you know in the next few days.
A greeting.

Reactions: exm
I have a serious question about entire bookshelf/standmount KEF speakers from LS50 till now (except Reference 1 for some reason).
What the [kef] is happening in mid/low bass range?
1698164492951.png

1698164545068.png

BUT THEN
1698164636453.png

So basically you either buy British-made top-of-the-line product or a subwoofer in order to get proper bass, is that a point?
Or this is a cool feature of all cheaper speaker to compensate some additional bass - why Ref 1 doesn't have it then?

P.S. FR graph of Q350 (and others but less so) look suspiciously similar to speaker box calculator simulated response. In case you're doing it wrong. Uneven volume is first what comes to mind.

But this is KEF, world #1 of CAD speaker designers (saying this almost seriously). Any thoughts?

Last edited:
I have a serious question about entire bookshelf/standmount KEF speakers from LS50 till now (except Reference 1 for some reason).
What the [kef] is happening in mid/low bass range?
View attachment 320939
View attachment 320940
BUT THEN
View attachment 320941
So basically you either buy British-made top-of-the-line product or a subwoofer in order to get proper bass, is that a point?
Or this is a cool feature of all cheaper speaker to compensate some additional bass - why Ref 1 doesn't have it then?

P.S. FR graph of Q350 (and others but less so) look suspiciously similar to speaker box calculator simulated response. In case you're doing it wrong. Uneven volume is first what comes to mind.

But this is KEF, world #1 of CAD speaker designers (saying this almost seriously). Any thoughts?
Which port was used for that ref 1 measurement?

They discuss the porting in the white papers, they are worth reading. There isn't a one size fits all low end response, I think they assume the majority of the lower priced speakers will be used near a wall, and the expensive ones will be used further out, but the ref series has 2 port options for users to choose. The correct solution is to use DSP to tune the low end to the room, and preference.

Which port was used for that ref 1 measurement?
pdt-ref1-stn-pks-17.jpg

Not sure - it could be either first or the only one:rolleyes:
They discuss the porting in the white papers, they are worth reading. There isn't a one size fits all low end response, I think they assume the majority of the lower priced speakers will be used near a wall, and the expensive ones will be used further out
Okay, well, let's keep it in mind and check graphs again.
Cheapest Q150 seem to be designed for a free place.
Q350 - "on-the-wall" design.
LS50/Meta ($1000-1500 range) - furniture-placed again.
R3 Meta - same, you put them on/into IKEA cabinet or shelving for sure.
Ref 1 - proper design, free place, even better than cheapest speaker. I even believe that Elsa's song from Frozen doesn't sound distorted as on Q150.
But there's a strange feeling still...

As Erin wrote:

The speaker can be configured with (2) port configurations: “long” and “short”. I have provided the SPINORAMA and Estimated In-Room response for both (please note each graphic’s title). Harmonic distortion and compression/linearity testing were done using the “long” port.

ezgif-3-58b78de148.gif

So the comparison you posted is looking at the 'short port' version of the Reference 1 Meta, which fills in the bass depression (you're observing), when compared to Kef R3 Meta.

Back
Top Bottom