• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

FdF

It will then be a plussize in sound.

What lyngdorf do you have?

I now have a TDAI 2170 with Kef R5 in the living room and I'm eyeballing at the LS60 after the recent price drop.
Lyngdorf mp50 processor.

Your current set up is excellent.

As always until you get them in your room, you will never know if they are better.

juliangst

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How does the Kef LS60

Single Apparent Source Technology​

(https://international.kef.com/pages/single-apparent-source) compare to systems that are cardioid?

If the Kii Seven is cardioid, can the LS60 also be made cardioid? Through software settings, driver timing, etc.?
Should be possible. The Kii Seven also have woofers only on their side and are cardiod. It just won’t work down as deep as speakers with back woofers in addition to side woofers

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty loud.
The white paper shows them compressing from 80db @ 1m, pretty loud sounds much above that to me. On the other hand every B&W owner I've met thinks 70db ar the listening position is loud.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The white paper shows them compressing from 80db @ 1m, pretty loud sounds much above that to me. On the other hand every B&W owner I've met thinks 70db ar the listening position is loud.
That's at 20hz and I think that graph is anechoic or equivalent? So there will be some additional boundary reinforcement in most cases. Of course you pretty much always need subs for good bass under 40hz anyway regardless of your speakers.

Bass compression is also very hard to notice if you don't measure and primarily just use test tracks with unknown bass frequencies and no real A/B setup.

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's at 20hz and I think that graph is anechoic or equivalent?
It is, and there will be room gain, and 2 speakers, but it's also at 1m, and people usually listen to speakers like this at 3m or more. The reports of how much bass these have are all over the place, would like to understand that a bit more.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They have excellent bass, just lacking that very last bit of extension but if you add a sub…or two.
Keith

Muddywaters

Forum Donor
We’ll Amazon really dropped the ball on my promised “Delivery Window” after spending about 2 hours on the phone with them in 3 separate calls. And placing a second order because the first one, (placed 11/3) was “stuck”. :facepalm:

I ordered a pair from Crutchfield after verifying inventory and should have them next week sometime. Then cancelled both orders on Amazon.

* edited for duplicate wording

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My pair of LS60’s arrive today. They won’t be sitting in the boxes long.:)

Any owners running two subs with them utilizing KEF’s crossover? How’s it working out? I’m thinking of ordering a pair of Rythmik F12SE or HSU ULS -15 Mk2
I'm using the internal crossover, it's pretty normal, but I don't know how it would be with 3rd party subs since I'm also using the KC62 with the wireless adaptors. You get highpass and lowpass controls, sub gain, and a phase switch, so it's pretty middle-of-the-road except that the highpass is built into the mains.

Hi all - I am a total neophyte audiophile who needs help with my LS60s and two SVS SB-3000s. I have no idea where I should set the filters on the subwoofers. And do I do everything on the KEF app, or do I also need so something on the SVS app? I listen to classical music in a 21'x17' room. Thank you for the help!

GA16SE

@ClassicalSpeakers, I think you might be inspired by the review made by Kalman Rubinson:

For more information you might write him (@Kal Rubinson) a personal message.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Hi all - I am a total neophyte audiophile who needs help with my LS60s and two SVS SB-3000s. I have no idea where I should set the filters on the subwoofers. And do I do everything on the KEF app, or do I also need so something on the SVS app? I listen to classical music in a 21'x17' room. Thank you for the help!
Download REW ( room eq wizard) you will need a usb microphone and then acoustically measure from your listening position, being able to see what you are hearing is a huge help.
Keith

Thanks, GA16SE, for the link to the review. Rubinson's review helped convince me to buy them, but over time, I had forgotten he had talked about the filters. Novice question, though, do I just do this on the KEF app or do I also need do something on the SVS app?

Keith, I have the microphone and have measured before. What am I looking for? Smooth and even FR in the bass? And then I play with the filters to see whether it further smooths it?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Yes a nice downward sloping Fr with more bass than treble and as flat s you can manage , I would measure the speakers on their own first and see where they start to roll off in your room and go from there.
Keith

Vacceo

Major Contributor
Thanks, GA16SE, for the link to the review. Rubinson's review helped convince me to buy them, but over time, I had forgotten he had talked about the filters. Novice question, though, do I just do this on the KEF app or do I also need do something on the SVS app?

Keith, I have the microphone and have measured before. What am I looking for? Smooth and even FR in the bass? And then I play with the filters to see whether it further smooths it?
I don´t know if you can equalize with the SVS APP, but on the KEF one, you can set the high and low passes, so that should be your starting point.

KEF actives reach a bit lower than a similar passive of their type. For example, the LS50 WII reaches 60 hz quite well, (passive LS50 metas stay at 80), but below that, it should get to the subwoofer. The LS60´s reach 40 hz quite well, so below that, that´s for the subwoofer.

Last edited:

FdF

Just under a week of listening- streaming low quality spotify only.

Wow, these speakers are very special- sound brilliant imo.

Next , will be trying cd via cable connection.

Then will room correct- lyngdorf roomperfect.

Then will add subs- jl audio.

GameAudioPen

Given both the LS50 Meta and LS60 are both under steep discount this blackfriday. I really can't decide.

To make LS50 meta match LS60, sub and minimum, an amplifier is expected.

Room correction can be done without much issue, since I use mainly Roon for my listening sessions.

One issue is the longevity of the support Kef is willing to give to their wireless models.

Personally, in a 15'X16' room with vaulted 18' tall ceiling, I wonder which route will sound better. 50 Meta with subs and AVR/Amps or LS60

Last edited:

Puddingbuks

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I wonder which route will sound better. 50 Meta with subs and AVR/Amps or LS60
from what I’ve read, most people think the LS60 sounds better

Danaxus

Given both the LS50 Meta and LS60 are both under steep discount this blackfriday. I really can't decide.

To make LS50 meta match LS60, sub and minimum, an amplifier is expected.
I don't think you could ever get the LS50 Metas to match the LS60's. They won't have the same DSP, they don't have the same heavy case, and the speakers aren't tuned to work with each other. Plus the LS60's come with 3 separate amplifiers, for the subs, the woofer, and the tweeter.

I mean, you could try - buy 2 KC62's, a nice amp for the metas, and a mindsp, but at that point you're spending LS60 money or more, and instead of two sleek towers, you have a chaotic mess of boxes and cables.

If you're looking to buy something and build over time, then going Metas isn't a bad idea (though I'd personally go with the non-Meta R3s instead for close-ish price). If you're looking to jerry-build an LS60 on the cheap however - don't.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Having both here and comparing the 50’s with subs to the 60’s if price isn’t a consideration I would go with the 60’s just a more controlled sound particularly through the lower frequencies, hear both side by side if you can.
Keith

Top Bottom