• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

thebratts

Realised that I screwed up the db:s (need glasses)... after.. even though the 93.7 db test tone was louder than I probably ever listen.
Everything of course disconnected and room occupied now, but will try again. This is what I got, and it's one measurement each about 2,7 m away from speakers (sofa listening position) and speakers 2,30m apart and about 10/15cm from wall. Ohh and I also had wall mode -3db set in the KEF app to tame the bass in the room overall....

86,90,94.png

Last edited:

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These speakers would be so compelling for a lot of situations if KEF would just finish them.

I don’t get this thing about shipping out incomplete, naked speakers.
Same issue with Genelec. I would not let kids or pets near them. At least they have the excuse that they are meant for professional studios.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Realised that I screwed up the db:s (need glasses)... after.. even though the 93.7 db test tone was louder than I probably ever listen.
Everything of course disconnected and room occupied now, but will try again. This is what I got, and it's one measurement each about 2,7 m away from speakers (sofa listening position) and speakers 2,30m apart and about 10/15cm from wall. Ohh and I also had wall mode -3db set in the KEF app to tame the bass in the room overall....

View attachment 296972
If you can, keep going until 96dB and 100dB, please :)

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Same issue with Genelec. I would not let kids or pets near them. At least they have the excuse that they are meant for professional studios.

Ditto for me. Genelec 8351 would be a compelling speaker for me…with a Neumann KH 80/120/750 grille over the coax.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ditto for me. Genelec 8351 would be a compelling speaker for me…with a Neumann KH 80/120/750 grille over the coax.
I had to move them recently so I went to Lowe’s and had plywood cut to stick over the drivers. Basically taped a piece of plywood to the front. It left a sort mark on 4 spots of the power coat. I guess it will clean off. Next time I would apply some cloth over the face first. Like a large microfiber.

harkpabst

If you can, keep going until 96dB and 100dB, please :)
Did you notice that this measurement was taken 2,7 m away from the speakers? That means, 93.7 dB is roughly equivalent to 98 dB at 1 m, already.

Admittedly, it looks like both speakers have been running simultaneously. But still, these in-room plots look pretty amazing to me. No sign of (the designed into the product on purpose) compression, so far.

thebratts

Yes. Measured both this time.
I found one old saved with left and right, but at lower volume (still 2,7 away) done early when I experimented with placement.
The left speaker have more space to the left compared to the right that have a side wall about 1,2m away and is more in a corner.I
t's generally a "busy" room furniture wise with a large sofa in front of the speakers... and a tv-furniture between them.. (45cm high), and of course an untreated concrete wall behind the speakers:)
I'm correcting each channel separately using Roon, up to about 1khz or so..

The one thing that is most frustrating with the KEF app is that you cannot correct wall mode PER channel, e.g. If I couldn't use Roon I would like to correct the left less than right in the bass.. for example.

leftright.png

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Did you notice that this measurement was taken 2,7 m away from the speakers? That means, 93.7 dB is roughly equivalent to 98 dB at 1 m, already.

Admittedly, it looks like both speakers have been running simultaneously. But still, these in-room plots look pretty amazing to me. No sign of (the designed into the product on purpose) compression, so far.
it really does very good! i don't see the dsp lowering the bass, thats why its interesting to me

NYfan2

Forum Donor
A bit subjective but I still want to share my experience. Lately I attended a demonstration where the new KEF R series Meta were announced, I was not that much impressed with the demo of the R-series but after the official part there was a very interesting "unofficial part". First the LS60 were connected and a few tracks were played, already was obvious for me that the LF60 is a far better speaker the the R-series. After that a pair of Blade 1 were setup and demoed, everytime I hear the Blade I'm impressed by the clarity and lack of room modes in the low end. Because it was just for fun a lot of different music was played and at one moment a house track with a lot of bass was played. One person asked if it was possible to play the same track on the LS60, because the music was streamed through Roon it was a question of selecting the LS60 and almost instantly the same song was played on the LS60. That was very impressive, the lows are a lot better on the Blades but the mid and highs come very close. It's also incredible how loud these LS60 can play. Conclusion it's almost impossible to find a better speaker then the Blades but for 1/6 of the price the LS60 are very impressive.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
They are hugely impressive add a sub to the LS60’s ( or two) and they are as good as anything I have heard.
Keith

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are hugely impressive add a sub to the LS60’s ( or two) and they are as good as anything I have heard.
Keith
But then why not just get LS50? I hate paying for stuff I don't use, and I assume the cost of the LS60 is to a large-ish degree dictated by their built-in bass capabilities. If you mean the sub is just used for sub-40Hz or so (forgot what the range of the LS60 is), I could agree that the LS60 could use a little help if you're obsessed about getting FX in full extension. :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have compared the LS50 with sub to the 60’s and the 50’s are excellent with perhaps just a slight preference for the 60’s, I was really thinking of comparing the yes to really full range loudspeakers Kii/8C where they might just need a bit of bass extension , depending upon your musical tastes.
Keith

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
But then why not just get LS50? I hate paying for stuff I don't use, and I assume the cost of the LS60 is to a large-ish degree dictated by their built-in bass capabilities. If you mean the sub is just used for sub-40Hz or so (forgot what the range of the LS60 is), I could agree that the LS60 could use a little help if you're obsessed about getting FX in full extension. :)
Because the ls50 needs a crossover really high, up to 200hz... and the ls60 requeries much lower crossover. to me.

stren

Forum Donor
That makes sense, even though IMHO it depends on the SPL levels you want to drive in a room of a certain size.
For sure - LS50 for small spaces/volumes, LS60 for mid size/volume and Blade for bigger spaces/louder :) The smaller the space the less you can spend

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
My problem is, which subwoofers are very good up to 200hz? for integrate them with dual ls50m?

I had the R300 and it makes a weird sound at 125hz ~ and moderate SPL, far for enough to me.. sometimes is fun cranck the volume up.

Of course two of them, 2 subs :D.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
For sure - LS50 for small spaces/volumes, LS60 for mid size/volume and Blade for bigger spaces/louder :) The smaller the space the less you can spend
I had the R300 in a very small room, far for enough.. now i have the R7s..
Im not very sure if the ls50 can sound even at the same spl than the R300, haven't try the R3.

Top Bottom