• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

vanwalsum

Just unpacked my LS60’s and the first listen was good! They are very entertaining speakers. Upper midrange is very good, make a big stage.

But… it is in many other places not an upgrade for my dali epicon 6 with Marantz sacd30n and model 30.

Although i think that the Epicon 6 would perform better with a more lively and entertaining amp.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

subframe

Could someone measure the distance from floor to center of the lower subwoofer? Thanks

AOR

Audio Company
Could someone measure the distance from floor to center of the lower subwoofer? Thanks
I make it 71cm.
I have the speakers on the rubber feet, height is marginally different with spikes.

PXL_20230329_221425518.jpg

Lbstyling

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Did I read the spinorama right that this has -6db off axis (horizontal) of 60degrees?

vanwalsum

Does anyone already paired their LS60’s with a KC62 sub? How does it open up the sound in the midrange?

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I have my LS60s with first one then two KC62s bass is better, but I couldn’t say it affects the midrange, usually extending the bass response perceptually reduces the mids prominence,
Keith

Unit

Has anyone else been having issues with the LS60 where the network speed (using the KEF app’s speaker connection test) drops over time? When it drops below a certain point, it results in higher bitrate FLAC files (usually higher than 16bit 44.1khz) streamed using Roon stuttering and going silent midway. Roon will initially show the track is still playing normally but will eventually skip to the next track or stop.

Power cycling the KEF LS60 alone solves the issue temporarily until a few days or more later. Power cycling = turning off at the socket outlet, not putting it on standby. No need to restart any network device for this temporary fix. I’ve also changed my network equipment and the problems remain.

I have been speaking to KEF support and am now waiting for them to review my logs. The local dealer has also checked that the problems I face are not because of bad/weak wifi or misconfiguration.

The WiFi for my KEF LS60 is 5ghz only, dedicated/unique SSID not transmitted by any other AP, channels used have minimal or no neighbors using it (I’ve tried a few)

Unplug the AP, plug a laptop in its place, iperf3 to the Roon Core = ~940 mbits/s (full gigabit since its fully wired cat6)

Old wifi5 Android (Samsung Note 8) phone in the same spot as the KEF LS60 on WiFi from the AP, iperf3 to the Roon Core = ~300-400 mbits/s (same test with newer WiFi6 capable S23 Ultra = ~400-600 mbits/s). these speeds are more than sufficient for lossless music.

Roon Core (server/database) is on a NAS, installed on an NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus), 20gb ram. Music files are stored on the same NAS, spinning disks. NAS is connected via cat6.

vanwalsum

Has anyone else been having issues with the LS60 where the network speed (using the KEF app’s speaker connection test) drops over time? When it drops below a certain point, it results in higher bitrate FLAC files (usually higher than 16bit 44.1khz) streamed using Roon stuttering and going silent midway. Roon will initially show the track is still playing normally but will eventually skip to the next track or stop.

Power cycling the KEF LS60 alone solves the issue temporarily until a few days or more later. Power cycling = turning off at the socket outlet, not putting it on standby. No need to restart any network device for this temporary fix. I’ve also changed my network equipment and the problems remain.

I have been speaking to KEF support and am now waiting for them to review my logs. The local dealer has also checked that the problems I face are not because of bad/weak wifi or misconfiguration.

The WiFi for my KEF LS60 is 5ghz only, dedicated/unique SSID not transmitted by any other AP, channels used have minimal or no neighbors using it (I’ve tried a few)

Unplug the AP, plug a laptop in its place, iperf3 to the Roon Core = ~940 mbits/s (full gigabit since its fully wired cat6)

Old wifi5 Android (Samsung Note 8) phone in the same spot as the KEF LS60 on WiFi from the AP, iperf3 to the Roon Core = ~300-400 mbits/s (same test with newer WiFi6 capable S23 Ultra = ~400-600 mbits/s). these speeds are more than sufficient for lossless music.

Roon Core (server/database) is on a NAS, installed on an NVMe SSD (Samsung 970 Evo Plus), 20gb ram. Music files are stored on the same NAS, spinning disks. NAS is connected via cat6.
Here the same problem over times. Don't know if it's caused by my tp-link deco setup or the speakers thenselves. Sometimes the LS60 is connected to the 2,4ghz, sometimes to the 5ghz. Yesterday connected the second LS60 by ethernet. Maybe it relaxes the internal wifi a bit and make it better.

Unit

Here the same problem over times. Don't know if it's caused by my tp-link deco setup or the speakers thenselves. Sometimes the LS60 is connected to the 2,4ghz, sometimes to the 5ghz. Yesterday connected the second LS60 by ethernet. Maybe it relaxes the internal wifi a bit and make it better.
Your issue may not be the same as mine. (1) Tp-link Deco is a wifi mesh system, most likely you are not using wired backhaul? WiFi mesh (WiFi backhaul) is generally poor for speeds and stability. Network speeds gets worse very quickly with each additional mesh device you add. That may be the source of any issues. (2) Dropouts when your LS60 roams between 2.4ghz and 5ghz is expected. You should have entirely separate SSIDs (wifi names) for 2.4ghz and 5ghz with the LS60 connected to the 5ghz SSID. That way your speakers will never roam between bands and stick to the 5ghz one. (3) If your LS60 is within range of multiple mesh devices broadcasting the same SSID, there's a possibility it connects to a weaker signal from a farther mesh device / mesh AP or roams between the mesh devices, there will be a momentary network dropout as it roams between mesh devices.

I have eliminated these possible issues with my network set up. Also my primary and secondary LS60s (left and right speakers) are connected via wire. The only job the onboard network cards have is to connect to the WiFi network not the secondary speaker.

TSB

Your issue may not be the same as mine. (1) Tp-link Deco is a wifi mesh system, most likely you are not using wired backhaul? WiFi mesh (WiFi backhaul) is generally poor for speeds and stability. Network speeds gets worse very quickly with each additional mesh device you add. That may be the source of any issues. (2) Dropouts when your LS60 roams between 2.4ghz and 5ghz is expected. You should have entirely separate SSIDs (wifi names) for 2.4ghz and 5ghz with the LS60 connected to the 5ghz SSID. That way your speakers will never roam between bands and stick to the 5ghz one. (3) If your LS60 is within range of multiple mesh devices broadcasting the same SSID, there's a possibility it connects to a weaker signal from a farther mesh device / mesh AP or roams between the mesh devices, there will be a momentary network dropout as it roams between mesh devices.

I have eliminated these possible issues with my network set up. Also my primary and secondary LS60s (left and right speakers) are connected via wire. The only job the onboard network cards have is to connect to the WiFi network not the secondary speaker.
The connection between speakers is not handled by the network module, so that should not impact performance.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

thebratts

Hey. Long time reader but first post..
I have the ls60 since 3 weeks, and one obvious thing that was clear after just a few days, was the need to protect the elements/speakers a bit..
Mostly during the day with birds...., kids etc spending time in the same room :)
At the moment a "temporary" solution has been made with a fabric that is quite pass through, see-through with regards to air/sound..
I'm wondering if someone has any good ideas or info on better solutions that could be covers to take of or permanent protection?
I have also experimented with pillow cases during the day and then removing them when listening but well it's not the nicest looking thing :)
I completley understand they where designed without covers in mind so temporary easily removable covers might be the best option..

and..
Love the speakers, have spent some time on REW and added adjustment curves to roon which i use. First time my wife actually comments on things sounding better, mentioning things she has not heard before, and she can just spend time browsing music and listen.. as good confirmation on the sound as i can get :)
Used a pair of elac WS1665 wall speakers with relt9 sub before this...

One thing that impresses me is the bass response in my room (50m2), i have no need for a sub.

Last edited:

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the ls60 since 3 weeks, and one obvious thing that was clear after just a few days, was the need to protect the elements/speakers a bit..

These speakers would be so compelling for a lot of situations if KEF would just finish them.

I don’t get this thing about shipping out incomplete, naked speakers.

BrokenEnglishGuy

Major Contributor
Mostly during the day with birds...., kids etc spending time in the same room :)
At the moment a "temporary" solution has been made with a fabric that is quite pass through, see-through with regards to air/sound..
I'm wondering if someone has any good ideas or info on better solutions that could be covers to take of or permanent protection?
I have also experimented with pillow cases during the day and then removing them when listening but well it's not the nicest looking thing :)
I completley understand they where designed without covers in mind so temporary easily removable covers might be the best option..

View attachment 296487

and..
Love the speakers, have spent some time on REW and added adjustment curves to roon which i use. First time my wife actually comments on things sounding better, mentioning things she has not heard before, and she can just spend time browsing music and listen.. as good confirmation on the sound as i can get :)
Used a pair of elac WS1665 wall speakers with relt9 sub before this...

One thing that impresses me is the bass response in my room (50m2), i have no need for a sub.

View attachment 296486
Can you run a rew at 96dB and 100dB? it will be very interesting how the LFE behavior. Ty

Top Bottom