• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KEF LS60 Wireless Just Announced

noname

The only ultra thin speaker that I could remember is Totem Arro. It has the same width 13 cm. exactly equal to KEF LS60.
totem_arro.png

SDC

I'm waiting 5 days since Korea National Radio Research Agency took away my ls60 for being illegal broadcasting and communication equipment. Going crazy waiting for certification. LS60 they are so gorgeous. Using Al for enclosure was great choice really. I want them back in my home so bad.

Pearljam5000

Master Contributor
The A700 cost about the same as LS60
Both are active towers etc
So I wonder which one is better

mononoaware

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Uni-Q driver in the LS60 at 3.9 inches is even smaller in diameter than the one in the LSX which uses a 4.5 inch Uni-Q.

I wonder how come they went with a 3.9 inch unit.

Also turns out those side firing woofers are not 4x KEF KC62 subwoofers, because the cone diameter is 5.25 inch instead of the 6.5 inch drivers in the KC62.

harkpabst

I wonder why you wonder.
It's all in the white paper and in this thread. There's no secret about it.

mononoaware

I wonder why you wonder.
It's all in the white paper and in this thread. There's no secret about it.
Sorry I saw the thread was 69 pages long and only made it 2 pages in.

I can now search for “whitepaper” and read into it thanks.

So it is for wider dispersion? Who wants wider dispersion I thought narrower dispersion is better for avoiding reflections.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry I saw the thread was 69 pages long and only made it 2 pages in.

I can now search for “whitepaper” and read into it thanks.

So it is for wider dispersion? Who wants wider dispersion I thought narrower dispersion is better for avoiding reflections.
No they just wanted to make a really thin speaker.

mononoaware

No they just wanted to make a really thin speaker.
That lines up more to what I expected from KEF.

I am not a fan of KEF products or anything Uni-Q. Well I guess it helps that I can’t afford them.

I just learned of this speaker now because of this thread and my first thought after reading specifications was if they are calling it the LS60 how come they just didn’t use the Uni-Q from LS50 Meta/woofers from KC62 and save the R&D costs?
Well KEF is a wealthy company they can do whatever they want I guess. . .

Last edited:

harkpabst

Maybe still a good idea reading the white paper before wondering any further. LS60 Wireless development started ahead of KC62 development (KC62 actually was a by-product of that development) is just one thing to take away from it.

Last edited:

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That lines up more to what I expected from KEF.

I am not a fan of KEF products or anything Uni-Q. Well I guess it helps that I can’t afford them.

I just learned of this speaker now because of this thread and my first thought after reading specifications was if they are calling it the LS60 how come they just didn’t use the Uni-Q from LS50 Meta/woofers from KC62 and save the R&D costs?
Well KEF is a wealthy company they can do whatever they want I guess. . .
Well when most companies design a tower speaker the manufacturer places all the drivers at the front to show off and they make something really big and visually obstructive. The partner goes ‘OOOOoooohhhh Heeeeeeeellllll Noooooooo’ and the speaker stays at the dealer.

But for this speaker the objective was to be impossibly thin but still deliver insane amount of output and response linearity. Ofcourse there is no free lunch in speaker design and you have to pay 8000$ for such performance.

mononoaware

Ofcourse there is no free lunch in speaker design

I agree 100% with this there is always a compromise.

But for me when there is great performing speakers costing much less then I have to have a cynical view of such speakers like the LS60.

I have been a happy owner of the Adam Audio T5V for 4 years now. Very reasonably priced, reliable and well performing speaker in my opinion. I listen at low SPL with DSP applied and I don’t need 20Hz to disturb the neighbors.

Also 0 phantom power draw when you switch them off :):).

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
The Uni-Q driver in the LS60 at 3.9 inches is even smaller in diameter than the one in the LSX which uses a 4.5 inch Uni-Q.

I wonder how come they went with a 3.9 inch unit.
There are technical reasons but an obvious reason is that the Uni-Q in the LS60 is a tweeter/midrange driver but the one in the LSX has to handle bass frequencies as well.

sifi36

I agree 100% with this there is always a compromise.

But for me when there is great performing speakers costing much less then I have to have a cynical view of such speakers like the LS60.

I have been a happy owner of the Adam Audio T5V for 4 years now. Very reasonably priced, reliable and well performing speaker in my opinion. I listen at low SPL with DSP applied and I don’t need 20Hz to disturb the neighbors.

Also 0 phantom power draw when you switch them off :):).

Thanks for the purchasing advice. I should change my mind and buy a pair of Adam T5V so I can be as happy as you are with them. I’ll forget they have no meaningful output below 60Hz for hip hop or jungle, don’t go loud enough to fill my living room and have a much more characterful vertical directivity. Plus it would give me the opportunity to buy a load of boxes instead of the simplicity of just a pair of speakers. Oh and I’m sure the company I keep will be super excited to learn all about what the various boxes do and how to operate them. I’ll bet they’ll wax lyrical about the industrial design too.

Mods, you might as well lock this thread, @mononoaware has spoken.

Snark aside, it never fails to amuse me how little empathy some people on this forum have for other people’s use cases, preferences and budgets. Why would one feel the need to validate their own purchasing decisions by shitting on something that isn’t aimed at them?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There are technical reasons but an obvious reason is that the Uni-Q in the LS60 is a tweeter/midrange driver but the one in the LSX has to handle bass frequencies as well.
Since they increased the linear excursion to match the displacement of their larger midranges it’s honestly just for reduced width and maybe better linearity in the upper midrange.

SDC

Still waiting for KC pass. Will post some measurements using Umik when it arrives. IF IT ARRIVES :facepalm:

mononoaware

Oh and I’m sure the company I keep will be super excited to learn all about what the various boxes do and how to operate them. I’ll bet they’ll wax lyrical about the industrial design too.
I am not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying I am simple minded?
Well yes I am, and that is really no secret given my lack of in-depth knowledge and my responses here in this forum.

I was actually on a hiatus and had not logged in for many months since I felt like there was less and less I could contribute, but then while browsing the website while logged out I came across the "remote volume knob" post where I thought I could share an interesting video.
Naturally I started posting again elsewhere and here I am now again feeling "outsmarted".

I don't judge other users here as a whole, and in my experience most have been patient with me in their responses which I appreciate.
But if you are going to call me dumb please do so by communicating rather than in a dismissive manner.
You describe me as a imbecile that plays with "boxes (audio products)" and surrounds myself with others similar. You would be wrong on both I do not surround myself with anyone, and the equipment I have is actually very minimal. I do not play the consumerist buy, praise and repeat game. I will spread my use of products to the maximum between purchases.
I am being dismissive about a product yes, but being dismissive of other's I think is a much bigger problem and not something to be taken lightly.

You are right though I don't have much empathy.

Last edited:

sifi36

I am not sure what you are trying to say. Are you saying I am simple minded?
Well yes I am, and that is really no secret given my lack of in-depth knowledge and my responses here in this forum.

I was actually on a hiatus and had not logged in for many months since I felt like there was less and less I could contribute, but then while browsing the website while logged out I came across the "remote volume knob" post where I thought I could share an interesting video.
Naturally I started posting again elsewhere and here I am now again feeling "outsmarted".

I don't judge other users here as a whole, and in my experience most have been patient with me in their responses which I appreciate.
But if you are going to call me dumb please do so by communicating rather than in a dismissive manner.
You describe me as a imbecile that plays with "boxes (audio products)" and surrounds myself with others similar. You would be wrong on both I do not surround myself with anyone, and the equipment I have is actually very minimal. I do not play the consumerist buy, praise and repeat game. I will spread my use of products to the maximum between purchases.
I am being dismissive about a product yes, but being dismissive of other's I think is a much bigger problem and not something to be taken lightly.

You are right though I don't have much empathy.

You have completely misunderstood my post; let me make it clear.

Other people have different requirements to you.
Those requirements are no more or no less valid than yours.
Posting in this thread to say how you can’t see the point in a product that fits those alternative needs demonstrates a lack of empathy.

At no stage did I suggest that you were an “imbecile”. What I was suggesting is that a system that is simpler to set up and operate for the user and guests, that is smaller and more physically attractive and has a better objective response (louder, deeper and probably flatter) may not be for you and that’s absolutely fine. That you can’t understand that it could possibly have merit to others is what I’m highlighting.

They’re not perfect, other speakers can go louder and deeper and others are less costly. Repairability and servicing may be questionable. There is no option for proper room correction.

Posting what you have in a thread about said product is pointless. Do you say the same in every thread about every speaker that’s more expensive than the Adam T5V?

Last edited:

mononoaware

You have completely misunderstood my post; let me make it clear.

Other people have different requirements to you.
Those requirements are no more or no less valid than yours.
Posting in this thread to say how you can’t see the point in a product that fits those alternative needs demonstrates a lack of empathy.

At no stage did I suggest that you were an “imbecile”. What I was suggesting is that a system that is simpler to set up and operate for the user and guests, that is smaller and more physically attractive and has a better objective response (louder, deeper and probably flatter) may not be for you and that’s absolutely fine. That you can’t understand that it could possibly have merit to others is what I’m highlighting.

Posting what you have in a thread about said product is pointless. Do you say the same in every thread about every speaker that’s more expensive than the Adam T5V?
Well I appreciate you clearing things up.
I am not saying there is no point in the LS60, I was just sharing my opinion about it not meeting my expectations to what a LS60 would be.
And yes maybe not being as wealthy as some others here, when I did see the local pricing I could not see the value in it and it was quite a surprise further skewing my opinion about it to being "expensive consumerist jewellery".
I admit I edited my comment above and added the portion about the T5V in poor judgement and it looks like it has come to bite me back.

I was upset because your initial post came off as if it was directed at the rest of the audience, and you were speaking as if I was not even here.
I have dealt with a lot of this dismissive attitude in person throughout the years and it drives me up the wall when people simply walk away as you are speaking and then speak of you as if you are not in the same room. Most times this is caused by my lack of understanding and most individuals will simply conclude it is not worth their time explaining and dismiss you as incompetent.

It's ok though no hard feelings. Something else is bothering me now, I accidentally deleted the wrong PEQ preset which I put a lot of time into and I am never mad at someone else more than I am mad at myself.

Top Bottom