• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
My first generation 305s are still going strong as my garage gym speakers.
Like the lcd/oled TV lotto, some die a crib death, while others last for decades.
Maybe before laying down the cash for that new expensive toy,
a short stop at the church of your choice might be prudent. LOL

dcby

That definitely sucks!

Thinking you may need to contact Harman for repair/replacement, but maybe others can be more helpful.
I'm so unlucky. It's only used for a year, and the frequency of use is very low. And more, there's no warranty by now, I need to pay for repairs.

Thank you!

dcby

I'm pretty sure it announced it's fatal coronary and the amp is the issue..
A driver issue shouldn't have tripped that error code.
As mentioned, contact service for their take on it and a possible amp replacement
Thanks!
I saw a SN "P2036-xxxx" on its back. I heard from friends that the product with similar SN seem to have quality problems.

frankzhang

Thanks!
I saw a SN "P2036-xxxx" on its back. I heard from friends that the product with similar SN seem to have quality problems.
I bought a pair of 705p 2 years ago with similar SN with yours. Resently, one of it suddently have big HF noise, yet the LED still green.
Is this true? the product with P2036-xxxx have QC issue?

Rahan

I seek a centre channel with the 2409h. tp match the 708s in front and the 705s in back.
Except for the C211 (which is overkill for me) i can't find a decent one with a decent price.
Am I the only who is confused in the JBL range?
- Synthesis why so expensive ? (compare the SCL-4 with the C211 prices do not make sens to me).

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had all 3 of my 708Ps fail (amp modules died) and one of them failed again after warranty replacement. Luckily, they were under warranty so I got all the amp modules replaced for no charge (I did have to drive back and forth to the service center multiple times).

Even after all this, if I use the power switch at the back of the speakers to turn the speakers off, they come back on with error and don't work. I leave those switches on and only turn off/on the APC power conditioners they are connected to. These speakers sound great though, when they work.
I seek a centre channel with the 2409h. tp match the 708s in front and the 705s in back.
Except for the C211 (which is overkill for me) i can't find a decent one with a decent price.
Am I the only who is confused in the JBL range?
- Synthesis why so expensive ? (compare the SCL-4 with the C211 prices do not make sens to me).
Why not a 708p or 705p for center channel?

Rahan

Too bad for amp module reliability problems. Are they well ventilated? A shame there is no way to turn the screen off... reliability was one reason that lead my to the passive version. This and the crazy deal I had on a used pair of 708i and 705i. Ideally I look for something cheaper than a 708. I don't expect to find another deal like the one I had. More important, I have to put the Center speaker on top of my 4245c (it is right under the area of projection) so, if I put a 708 there it will be to hight. I love this speaker but not enough to see it instead of my movies. (It would make no sense to pour it on the side In this type of using.) I would like something thinner.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some people have had issues. I got mine as refurbs, so there may have been issues before, but they've worked just peachy for several years now, most of that time being on. I don't use them constantly, though.

LDKTA

Reporting back after 5 years of heavy usage. One of my 708Ps is officially dead and the other is still going strong. Let’s see if JBL will repair it or send me a new one so I can sell them. They’ve served their purpose!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It seems there is a pretty high rate of mortality for these speakers. I haven't used mine much and it seems to be OK -- do we know what fails? Is it thermal? Random?

LDKTA

It seems there is a pretty high rate of mortality for these speakers. I haven't used mine much and it seems to be OK -- do we know what fails? Is it thermal? Random?
In my case, if I had to take an educated guess, it’s the amplifier, which is annoying for sure… but it is what it is at this point. I reckon active powered loudspeakers are simply more prone to failure than passive loudspeakers.

5 years of abuse isn’t too bad though and I’m certain the drivers are in excellent condition.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have some old speakers that sound just as awful today as they did 25 years ago, working "perfectly" as they were.

LDKTA

I have some old speakers that sound just as awful today as they did 25 years ago, working "perfectly" as they were.
You and I both. I’d imagine they are passive?

I do wish JBL opted for a better amplifier in the 705/708Ps. Hypex comes to mind. Raise the price, I don’t care lol.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You and I both. I’d imagine they are passive?

I do wish JBL opted for a better amplifier in the 705/708Ps. Hypex comes to mind. Raise the price, I don’t care lol.

HypeX is high performance but not necessarily more reliable. @restorer-john can tell you.

Meyer Sound has been doing active for a long time but the build quality is on a whole new level (and unfortunately like Accuphase, so is the price).

Looking at various images, I am struck by how spaced out everything is on the PCB, the use of big resistors instead of surface mounted ones, and the seemingly disproportionately large heatsinks.

I don’t know what their Class D designs look like.

1705632591352.jpeg

https://www.reddit.com/r/livesound/comments/cszvu2

These photos from a Japanese auction for one of the UPA line of speakers.
1705632684919.png
1705632744787.png

1705632941677.jpeg

Rahan

I'm thinking of building a centre channel based en 705/708 compression driver and two boomers from 705 with active crossover. I made a really quick photoshop of the idea. Off course I would put the horn horizontally. What do you think?
705 centre.png

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm thinking of building a centre channel based en 705/708 compression driver and two boomers from 705 with active crossover. I made a really quick photoshop of the idea. Off course I would put the horn horizontally. What do you think?
Just buy a 705p or 708p and place it normally. Perfect center channel speaker as it.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Just buy a 705p or 708p and place it normally. Perfect center channel speaker as it.
Agreed. Your better off with a stock 70x placed vertically than the side placed MTM design and it's comb filtering
off axis. JMHO

Tom C

Major Contributor
A 705P is small enough to fit under a screen or monitor in most living room type situations.

Top Bottom