• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

JBL 705P / 708P

Bugal1998

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
1 used and 1 b-stock 708p still functioning fine... Need to have the port alignment tightened to close a gap causing chuffing on the b-stock unit under warranty (or figure out how to do it myself) but no electrical issues.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now it’s 3 out of 3 for me going into repair. This third 708P was purchased from a different source than the other two. I am starting to wonder if the electrical system in the house is causing the failures but I’ve had the 3 series with no issues, so it might be specific to the 7 series? I do have them hooked up to an APC power conditioner + voltage stabilizer.

Nice job JBL Pro! :( Another 2 hours wasted taking this to the repair shop on a working day.

Correction, the 2nd speaker I got repaired back in August is the one that died again! So the 3rd speaker is still fine (so far).

In case anyone wants to know, for the 1st faulty speaker, JBL replaced the entire unit. For the 2nd faulty speaker, I was told by the repair center that JBL has changed its policy and no longer replaces the entire unit, so only the amp module was replaced. I was also told that the amp module is one monolithic unit that contains all the DSP boards etc.

I am not sure if I should give JBL one more chance or if should abandon this entire line and switch to passive Revels. If they send me a new unit, I would be more inclined to keep them. Too bad I have 3 of these for LCR!

EDIT: Just found out this unit is out of warranty :( I figured at least the replaced amp module would still be under warranty but apparently JBL only has 3 months warranty on that.

I have a wide variety of expletives running through my brain right now that I will keep to myself.

Last edited:

localhost128

this pair of 708p's here probably have only been power-cycled a handful over times over the past couple of years. no issues as of yet. same for 705p that is cycled daily.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I’m hoping they go on 50% off for b-stock again this winter. If so, I’ll pick up a pair of 708’s, and maybe another 705. The three 705’s I got last year (thanks to the many good folks on this site) have been trouble-free so far. Maybe if I have a failure, I’ll be able to fix it by converting the bad unit to a passive, and getting the Crown amp that goes with a 705i/708i. Should be able to make that work.

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m hoping they go on 50% off for b-stock again this winter. If so, I’ll pick up a pair of 708’s, and maybe another 705. The three 705’s I got last year (thanks to the many good folks on this site) have been trouble-free so far. Maybe if I have a failure, I’ll be able to fix it by converting the bad unit to a passive, and getting the Crown amp that goes with a 705i/708i. Should be able to make that work.
Sounds like you really like the 7 series a lot. I wish Amir would get the 708p for measurements. Mine are in daily use when not being repaired and I was hoping traveling would be a thing again so I can send mine in while on vacay, but that hasn’t happened :(

Tom C

Major Contributor
I do like them quite a bit. They are a nice, compact size, and are plenty load for me. I use them for a 5.1 home theater system. With a good soundtrack they can be very convincing.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is just so incredibly frustrating. I am so disappointed. After all this talk about 705p JBL being unreliable, I plug in my 705p that have sat on a shelf for the past six months. They're running from a Windows PC into a D10 then out SPIDIF into AES.

And the damn things work perfectly.

Peace oot!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
This is just so incredibly frustrating. I am so disappointed. After all this talk about 705p JBL being unreliable, I plug in my 705p that have sat on a shelf for the past six months. They're running from a Windows PC into a D10 then out SPIDIF into AES.

And the damn things work perfectly.

Peace oot!

I know what you mean.

My six 705P's and three 708P's apparently aren't with the failure program.

Nothing but great sound from mine (all B-Stock)

xyvyx

Forum Donor
well, I was able to purchase a couple amp replacement modules & swap them both out last night... they're back in business!
One of them, however, didn't immediately turn on... the menu froze at "708P". I tried the factory reset procedure, but that didn't seem to help.
After a bit of cursing at the prospect of having to return the amp & starting over... I tried to power it up holding only the menu key down. That worked! Maybe a fluke / coincidence, but it's been running for 24 hrs w/o any other problems.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Any recommendation for a matching powered sub for the 705p? I want something to go under the desk, a footrest more or less. Smallish, so sealed. Maybe 10" or 12". Preferably with its own DSP or cutoff since I can control the cutoff with the 705p themselves. Preferably with a pass through to run to the speakers.

Bugal1998

Forum Donor
Any recommendation for a matching powered sub for the 705p? I want something to go under the desk, a footrest more or less. Smallish, so sealed. Maybe 10" or 12". Preferably with its own DSP or cutoff since I can control the cutoff with the 705p themselves. Preferably with a pass through to run to the speakers.

Perhaps a Rythmik L12? L12 has a built-in variable cross-over for the sub itself, and you can control the 705p crossover with its own built-in DSP.

xyvyx

Forum Donor
I love my Rythmik F12, but it's a tad big for a footrest :)
I posted some pix back on page 9 of how it blends with my 708s.

At the time I was searching, I'd looked at some small models from Martin Logan & Monitor Audio. Cambridge has a couple tiny "Minx" subs out now... they're just 8", but seem well reviewed. The only other tiny sub I have actual experience with is from Sunfire. Powerful, but I wouldn't recommend it to compliment the JBLs. ;)

stunta

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Correction, the 2nd speaker I got repaired back in August is the one that died again! So the 3rd speaker is still fine (so far).
EDIT: Just found out this unit is out of warranty :( I figured at least the replaced amp module would still be under warranty but apparently JBL only has 3 months warranty on that.

Update on this: JBL was nice enough to cover the cost outside of warranty given this is a "repeat offender" unit. Its all good now, for now.

Regarding the need for subwoofers, I have a 22' x 12' x 7' room, (12' listening distance) and had a pair of Rythmik FM8s doubling as speaker stands for 708Ps. Dirac live with DLBC, (Harman curve with +6db at 20Hz). I tried different crossovers from 70 - 120 - 150 - 200 Hz. I recently added an F12 to the mix and there is a dramatic difference. I am listening to music at much lower volumes now (-10 db or so). Apparently the lack of bass was making me turn up the volume quite a bit before I added the F12.

I've settled on 100 Hz crossover with Dirac DLBC . So yes, for me, for my room, even a total of three 8" drivers on each channel didn't quite cut it. YMMV.

changer

Edit 04/24/2019:
I just had a look at the filter configuration captured from the Harman Audio Architect software for biamped operation. In the low-pass section, it does show an active LR 24 dB/oct active filter, but there is no corresponding active high-pass section. This strongly suggests that in biamped configuration, the internal passive low-pass section is bypassed, but the internal passive high-pass section is not.
End edit

Did anyone ever learn more about the passive HP filter? From the measured slopes I would assume it is a steeper filter than 2nd order LR.

dcby

hey guys, could you please help me with my 705p? I bought a pair of 705p last year, but one of them failed today. They has been working fine before, then suddenly today, without changing any settings, the red light flashed at first, the operation screen showed AMP FAULT. I turned off it for a while and then turned on again, the indicator light no longer shows a red light, but it becomes almost silent, with a little shriveled sound like a cheapest earphone, no matter how you adjust it. Does this mean that the amplifier built in is broken? Or is there some other problem? Thank you!

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
hey guys, could you please help me with my 705p? I bought a pair of 705p last year, but one of them failed today. They has been working fine before, then suddenly today, without changing any settings, the red light flashed at first, the operation screen showed AMP FAULT. I turned off it for a while and then turned on again, the indicator light no longer shows a red light, but it becomes almost silent, with a little shriveled sound like a cheapest earphone, no matter how you adjust it. Does this mean that the amplifier built in is broken? Or is there some other problem? Thank you!

That definitely sucks!

Thinking you may need to contact Harman for repair/replacement, but maybe others can be more helpful.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
the red light flashed at first, the operation screen showed AMP FAULT.
I'm pretty sure it announced it's fatal coronary and the amp is the issue..
A driver issue shouldn't have tripped that error code.
As mentioned, contact service for their take on it and a possible amp replacement

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

he ded

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know what you mean.

My six 705P's and three 708P's apparently aren't with the failure program.

Nothing but great sound from mine (all B-Stock)
Thats a lot of P's!

Top Bottom