• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is it normal to have multiple amps in this hobby?

dman777

I am new to this hobby. I find myself beginning to collect amps (2 channel music). I own the Yamaha r-n2000a, as-3200, and now I am thinking about buying a Luxman. Is it normal for someone in this hobby to have multiple amps? I guess I eventually will sell 1, but I feel like I need months to compare to come to my conclusions.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not much point to it unless you're just adding systems to different rooms....

ps Otoh for power amps, a multitude can come in handy for a variety of purposes but no need to repeat the pre-amp sections..,

Last edited:

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I always have several and it's the best way to compare vs trusting your memory. Most amps these days have gotten so transparent I can only hear any difference doing a volume matched side by side or blind test when someone is over.
From one brand to the next it's maybe 5-10 percent difference at the same price range or SINAD.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
A lot of audiophiles (or audio enthusiasts) may tend to "collect" equipment but most people only have one set up at a time. (I use an AVR with a separate amp for my passive subwoofers.) I do have an old amplifier in the closet.

but I feel like I need months to compare to come to my conclusions.
Most amps do a good job of amplifying without adding or subtracting anything. Sometimes there is audible noise (hum, hiss, or whine in the background).

Frequency response and distortion are usually better than human hearing unless the amp is over-driven into clipping (distortion). And that's it for amplifiers "sound quality"... Noise, distortion and frequency response. (See Audiophoolery)

If there is a difference, our audio memory is pretty short and you are more likely to hear a (real, repeatable, reliable) difference with quick switching. You are less likely to hear a (real) difference from one day to the next, or from one month to the next.

Last edited:

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am new to this hobby. I find myself beginning to collect amps (2 channel music). I own the Yamaha r-n2000a, as-3200, and now I am thinking about buying a Luxman. Is it normal for someone in this hobby to have multiple amps? I guess I eventually will sell 1, but I feel like I need months to compare to come to my conclusions.

Whether or not it should be, it is absolutely normal for someone in this hobby to have multiples of almost every component, yes.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Instead of three, why not try something like one C/M5000?

I have collected a number of high end amps, but in retrospect, patience and going all-in on ONE very high end setup makes more sense.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes.

D

Deleted member 48726

Ehm. Yes. Yes it's completely normal. At least that's what I tell myself and my wife..

1690172096999.png

Haflermichi

Perfectly normal. But I would hardly call 2 amps (on hand) a collection, especially since you are only "thinking" of getting a Luxman.
You might ask yourself what your goal is. Find the "one amp to rule them all"?, Or have fun simply acquiring, testing, listening to interesting components and learning about electronics in general and audio specifically.

In my case there were some grail amps I always lusted after that I am now able to acquire.
Hafer 9505
Bryston 3B ST
Nakamichi PA-7

Do I need all of them? No. I don't need them.
I want them. In each case I studied, read and learned about their designs and performance.
The same way I want several Italian motorcycles which I will never acquire. For me there is no one best motorcycle...

Bleib

Major Contributor
Amps are not so difficult to get right these days. Speakers on the other hand..I went too far during the covid years

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hobby: creating a safe space for yourself you think you control (other than the real world). For some people collecting something does that.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you should stop

also it depends on space... and how many 'setups' you have

to me there are amps that are 'keepers' and stuff that... isnt

if you want to stick to Yamaha the AS701 and AS1200 series is 'keepers'.. stuff like the digital, HT, streamers arent

i think some guys have a real nice set of speakers and they just change amps (like underwear)

just how much you want to indulge that is up to you and your back, or maybe you have one of those douk switcher boxes

OP already has something like $10k worth of amps... let's not get too hasty!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have three. Each one drives a different speaker module. So it's perfectly normal to me.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Hmm I rather spend my money on music these days instead of hardware Side-Grades.

Sure it's fun if you are into the technical side of this hobby. Same like some people have multiple loudspeakers , multiple headphones, DACs or multiple versions of the same album.

My wife has at least 30 jeans that look kinda the same.. different people have different interests.

But I would rather think about a second loudspeaker setup or a headphone rig instead of using 3 "TOTL" amplifiers to archive the same thing.

In your case I would just sell the Yamaha Receiver.. get a mini DSP Flex for the Yamaha A-S 3200 .

SSS

Sure, absolutely normal. Since I restore/repair audio amps I have more than I need for listening. So it is the big main set and a second at my PC, third is in the sleeping room. Further a monobloc amp on my repair workplace. Stored I have some more amps as replacement.

jeffbook

I think it all depends on how your total system is configured. My 3 way active Linkwitz stereo speaker setup require 8 channels of amplification that include 4 channels for the dipole bass sections. An Adcom GFA-555 drive two passive subwoofers for my HT setup that also use the Linkwitz stereo speakers. My Denon AVR drives 4 channels of surround sound in the HT setup. There are 3 channels of unused amplification in the Denon. So, I do have multiple amplifiers in my system, but a lot of my available amplifier channels are in use one way or the other,

However, I do have 10 channels of 60 watt amplification sitting around in the form of 2 Adcom GFA-2535 amps and 1 GFA 535 amp. Sigh, I would sell them, but one never knows what use I may dream up for them, and they realistically would not bring much if resold. Barring a exorbitant offer, I would rather just keep them as they don't take up that much spce.

delta76

Major Contributor
if you have the finance, space, and if your partner approves (or at least, not disapprove), then why not?
don't expect to actually hear the difference though (maybe if you have some tube amps).

Top Bottom