• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Introducing the Phono Cartridge Measurement Library

JP

Major Contributor
Looks about a dB off from what mine measured.

TEST.png

OP
USER

USER

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At what capacitance? I find it strange that Sutherland doesn't give any real info. mackat had to ask. (It wouldn't shock me if it was loaded at something like150pF in the end.) RIAA may be off too. Your final measurements would help.

The Shibata VM750SH is coming up next. Like other AT shibata cartridges I've seen, it is a little less bright than the microline counterpart.

JP

Major Contributor
55pF.

Thanks @mackat and @USER for the 740 measurement! I always thought that Low Beats plot seemed weird. Should the metal body result in a midband drop vs the 540? Seems unlikely... (On that note though, it would be interesting to measure what, if anything, an updated cart body [such as the RigB or the various Denon 103 transformations] does to the sound...)

JP

Major Contributor
I picked up a used 540 cheap to measured stock vs. RigB. I can't say that I'll bother to follow through, though.

narud

Audio Technica 150mlx vs 150mlx stylus on 150ea body
150mlx.png

150mlxea.png

-150 mlx stylus at 1.5 grams on a 150mlx body that isnt low inductance. every 150mlx body ive had has been in the 400mh range rather than the spec'd 360mh. the 150ea body is low inductance.
-artdjpre modded to 0/100pf. switch is at 0pf. cables measure 120pf.
-technics sl-q2
-no idea why i have the brightest mlx ever. this is the same setup i measured the at95ml cart on which had expected results.

Last edited:

narud

Shure V15VX with Jico SAS/B stylus (pmount 110he version)
v15vxsas.png

-Shure V15Vx body with sas stylus meant for a pmount 110he at 1.2 grams
-technics sl-q2

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shure V15VX with Jico SAS/B stylus (pmount 110he version)
View attachment 330432

-Shure V15Vx body with sas stylus meant for a pmount 110he at 1.2 grams
-technics sl-q2
Seems that right channel (red) drop a bit more 1-20 kHz in all your plots. STR100 issue?

narud

Seems that right channel (red) drop a bit more 1-20 kHz in all your plots. STR100 issue?
im shocked im getting anything to work, so if im doing something wrong, im open to any suggestions on how to fix it.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
im shocked im getting anything to work, so if im doing something wrong, im open to any suggestions on how to fix it.
I'm not sure it is fixable other than use another test record and compare. There is nothing wrong with your method, just a note I made looking at your plots.

JP

Major Contributor
I'm not sure it is fixable other than use another test record and compare. There is nothing wrong with your method, just a note I made looking at your plots.

These seem fine? 566 d
Difficult to tell when both channels aren’t normalized.

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
These seem fine? 566 d
I looked at #521, #525, #526, #566, #567. It looks as if right channel dips more than left at HF.

narud

These seem fine? 566 d
should i set the file0norm setting to 0? user mentioned setting it to 1 to show channel balance. im comfortable saying i dont know what im doing!

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
should i set the file0norm setting to 0? user mentioned setting it to 1 to show channel balance. im comfortable saying i dont know what im doing!
No, you are fine with those settings. But you could investigate by setting to 0 and look at them. Is there a pattern?

JP

Major Contributor

That’s just a matter of how they’re plotted. For me, being able to see how the two channels track is more important than seeing channel imbalance, as they mostly all have some kind of imbalance. Others will value different things.

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
To me a lot of those look like azimuth misadjustment, almost as if the tonearm is skewed a little bit to one side. The last one seems to have something else going on. Perhaps inductance mismatch as the resonances don't match up.

Here are examples of azimuth adjustment. The only change is me either turning the headshell one direction a tiny bit or adding a thin plastic ring one one side of the cartridge between it and the headshell. Everything else is the same. The result is parallel or more parallel left and right FR and better matched left and right channel distortion. It's very easy to test this.

Azimuth 1.gif
Azimuth 3.gif

Azimuth Adjustment Effect.gif
Azimuth Adjustment.gif

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
Audio Technica 150mlx vs 150mlx stylus on 150ea body
View attachment 330430
View attachment 330431
-150 mlx stylus at 1.5 grams on a 150mlx body that isnt low inductance. every 150mlx body ive had has been in the 400mh range rather than the spec'd 360mh. the 150ea body is low inductance.
-technics sl-q2
-no idea why i have the brightest mlx ever. this is the same setup i measured the at95ml cart on which had expected results.

This doesn't look right. Distortion is very high above 6kHz. Is this completely worn out?

OP
USER

USER

Forum Donor
That’s just a matter of how they’re plotted. For me, being able to see how the two channels track is more important than seeing channel imbalance, as they mostly all have some kind of imbalance. Others will value different things.
Wait, what? I redid all my measurements after starting this thread because you preferred file0norm on! lol.

JP

Major Contributor
Wait, what? I redid all my measurements after starting this thread because you preferred file0norm on! lol.
I don’t recall that, but if I did, I changed my mind. **shrug**

narud

This doesn't look right. Distortion is very high above 6kHz. Is this completely worn out?
mlx2.jpg

i always have issues getting a decent pic with my super old iphone so theres some more flare here than what you see through the eye piece.

Top Bottom