• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting new studio speaker design from present day production

DLF

Thanks for that. For all the goofing around that site is a gold mine of information. I found that last video fascinating w.r.t. the effect Dolby Atmos is having on the world of music production. Nobody expects the dynamic range police!

807Recordings

Thanks for that. For all the goofing around that site is a gold mine of information. I found that last video fascinating w.r.t. the effect Dolby Atmos is having on the world of music production. Nobody expects the dynamic range police!
By wealth of information do you mean the constant biased opinions touted as fact that only now get refuted by themselves again?
I stopped watching these guys a long time ago when they slagged so many well known facts because his ears knew better. And yet today the same things he slagged like class D amplifiers and DSP Xovers they are all on.

Kudos for doing a DIY job and not letting your business flop, but we really don't need more misinformation.

DLF

By wealth of information do you mean the constant biased opinions touted as fact that only now get refuted by themselves again?
I stopped watching these guys a long time ago when they slagged so many well known facts because his ears knew better. And yet today the same things he slagged like class D amplifiers and DSP Xovers they are all on.

Kudos for doing a DIY job and not letting your business flop, but we really don't need more misinformation.
If you must know: The differences between mastering for vinyl, digital and online services. The impact of Atmos on the music industry. Acoustic treatments for a studio. The optimal sample rate for recording digital to name but a few. Also led me to 'Acoustics Insider' which I also find interesting.

I'm not 'them' BTW and that's a 'fact'. So stop spreading misinformation.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks to the advice from the forum, I was able to further improve the BEM model for the simulation of the PDP Monitor in post#61. The differences to the second update are not enormous, but of course the simulation should come as close as possible to reality.

Difference compared to the second update:
1666446394129.png 1666446419048.png

If you have downloaded the VCAD project, you should replace it with the new version.
However, it is still true that the silk dome version of the Bliesma tweeter will radiate a bit wider above 3kHz and beam more strongly above 7kHz than shown in the simulation.

Last edited:

807Recordings

If you must know: The differences between mastering for vinyl, digital and online services. The impact of Atmos on the music industry. Acoustic treatments for a studio. The optimal sample rate for recording digital to name but a few. Also led me to 'Acoustics Insider' which I also find interesting.

I'm not 'them' BTW and that's a 'fact'. So stop spreading misinformation.
Not to sound condescending but I never did I say it was you.
I do fully comprehend the difference between analog and digital mastering and have a relatively decent understanding of many things electronic. Consider I was throwing video and IP packets down the wires before most places even talked about VOIP, etc. Lived through many a misinformation on digital/analog and tend to work on the science side first ;-)

Acoustic Insider isn't the one I am talking about here.

DLF

Not to sound condescending but I never did I say it was you.
I made the inference from "Kudos for doing a DIY job and not letting your business flop". Fair enough, no problem.
I do fully comprehend the difference between analog and digital mastering and have a relatively decent understanding of many things electronic. Consider I was throwing video and IP packets down the wires before most places even talked about VOIP, etc. Lived through many a misinformation on digital/analog and tend to work on the science side first ;-)

Acoustic Insider isn't the one I am talking about here.
If you are happy with the acoustic treatment videos and we'll take it as read that Atmos is more than just for movies (I did not know that). As a consumer of music I found these very informative. Have I been mislead?

What SAMPLE RATE Should You Record At? | Why HIGHER Can Be WORSE!

Mastering For Vinyl | Cos Once It's Pressed, It's FINAL!

Ra1zel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The Bliesma M74S datasheet is pretty impressive, I'd say.
Take a look at beryllium version.

Perhaps with M74B and T25B one could make a superpowered Neumann KH420 it would require some great deal of design for that "dual" waveguide. All we are missing is for purifi to make a 10 inch woofer ;)

fluid

Addicted to Fun and Learning

dfuller

Major Contributor
So, some interesting tidbits from their discord:

1. The Bliesma 3" mid is totally comfortable crossing at 400hz, which very few dome mids can do (as it stands, I think that's ATC and Bliesma silk).
2. They've got an option (which costs truckloads more) to use a Purifi woofer and port the cabinet. This allows for a huge increase (they're saying ~25dB in the low end) in SPL.
3. They really didn't love the simulations lol.

mumford

For people interested in this product. I suggest waiting, as Purifi will present its new tweeter and a reference design very soon. There will be detailed technical measurements and white paper, as Purifi always does.

Last edited:

robwpdx

I am curious about their project and hope the final result is tested by ASR. We don't have measurements ATC 3" dome speakers. Those style mids are the unknown and unmeasured X-factor in listening.

What I learned I did not know is their cabinet composite material.

OP
Somafunk

Somafunk

Major Contributor
What I learned I did not know is their cabinet composite material.

They tested a few variants of MDF and HDF and choose the most inert/dense

dfuller

Major Contributor
So, coming back to this thread...

They've told me that they plan on sending some to Erin, when they've got a pair free. People are ordering them as fast as they can build them... which, to be fair, I think it's 2-3 people doing the builds. I'd like to hear them.

The amp is remote mountable, for soffit mounting.

The Be version is proving tricky to source, as Materion apparently discontinued the 40 micron Be sheet stock that Bliesma used for the M74B and T25B without warning, and unfortunately the Be domes, especially the tweeter, are measurably way superior to the silk domes.

Last edited:
OP
Somafunk

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Good video showing entire build process, I’d quite like a pair but way out of my reach financially

OP
Somafunk

Somafunk

Major Contributor
This week it’s building the hypex amps

Submarine Sound

New Sound On Sound review out with some measurements: https://www.soundonsound.com/reviews/presentdayproduction-mum-8

Present Day Production also replied to the review with a video of their own:

It sounds like PDP is going to get some independent measurements done in an anechoic chamber now so they can correct some of the concerns in the curve brought up by Phil Ward. Should be a fairly easy DSP fix I would think. Other than that, a pretty glowing review from Phil.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
He certainly enjoyed the performance of the drivers.
Keith

Top Bottom