• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interesting new studio speaker design from present day production

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have been thinking for a long time whether I should try to analyze the speaker project or not.
After the first video with the superlatives and the "we have built this only for ourselves" - rather not. But since the second and third video, now clear commercial intentions are pursued with the speaker project, different standards apply than with a DIY speaker project.
Since there is still little information (that I know of) about the speaker itself, the following statements are based on external sources, and simulations.

1. driver selection

A. woofer
The Dayton RS225 (4 and 8 Ohm) has been in production for ages and is a very good woofer. Flat frequency response, fast decay, good impedance control and very low harmonic distortion - the last two characteristics also because of the two demodulation rings.

B. tweeter
When selecting drivers, many designers make sure that the driver shows a piston like behavior for as long as possible in the range of use, i.e. does not break down into modes and breakup resonances - because these make the behavior of the driver less predictable. One can certainly be divided about the possible tonal effects.
Modes and breakup resonances require settling and decay time and can influence the radiation behavior of the driver.

Sources: HiFiCompass and my own simulations and graphical evaluations

The choice fell on a 25mm Bliesma silk dome - T25S-6. The Blisma tweeters don't have any directivity control setups like a small waveguide and literally consist only of the dome with surround on a flat face plate. This provides a very wide dispersion, leaves many options open to the designer, but means a very intense interaction with the baffle when installed flat.
Due to the "simple" external construction of the Bliesma tweeters, they can be simulated very well. This allows us to easily identify the frequencies up to which the tweeters show ideal pistonic behavior.

Here is the comparison of the Bliesma Be-tweeter with an ideal tweeter (normalized to on-axis FR):
1666169156856.png
Up to 8kHz the T25B-6 shows ideal piston-like behavior and above 8kHz there are only minor deviations.

Now let's look at the behavior of the T25S-6 used in the speaker (again compared to an ideal tweeter):
1666170237713.png
As not unusual for silk domes, a deviation from the ideal behavior can already be observed at frequencies >3kHz. Silk domes often show a "controlled breakup" over a wide frequency range. Above 7kHz and off-axis, the T25S-6 shows significantly more deviations from ideal behavior than the T25B-6 tweeter.

The orange rectangle marks an interesting part. Here the T25S-6 shows a particularly wide radiation (for an already wide radiating tweeter). Even at 6kHz, the SPL of the 45° frequency response measurement is identical to the on-axis level. Harmonic distortion and decay >2kHz are excellent (except for a tiny disturbance around 3kHz).
The T26S-6 would not have been my choice from a technical point of view.

For the simulation shown below, this means that the range 3-6kHz will radiate wider in reality than in the simulation.

C. midrange
The same considerations apply to the midrange driver as to the tweeter - a pistonic behavior over as wide a frequency range as possible and breakup resonances not before above the operating range.
The post is way too long and 50% of the readers already won't make it to this point ;)
Therefore, only very briefly the comparison of the Be dome M74B-6 with the silk dome M74S-6 which was selected for the speaker:
1666175161491.png
Sources: HiFiCompass and my own simulations and graphical evaluations
Up to about 5kHz the radiation pattern of Be- and silk dome is almost identical and should be very close to the radiation pattern of an ideal mid-dome (with the same design).
For a silk mid-dome, this is unusually good behavior. If you are not looking for a crossover frequency >4kHz, the M74S-6 is the right choice.

2. radiation and crossover simulation

A. simulation model and limitations
Much of the information had to be awkwardly derived from the video and pictures shown (so there might be deviations from the real speaker here and there) :

speaker cabinet
Depth 150mm
Width 250mm
Height 550mm / 1050mm

Drive positions "half cabinet" (550mm) / normal cabinet (1050mm)
Dayton RS-225-4 210mm / 710mm
Bliesma M74S-6 387mm / 887mm
Bliesma T26S-6 490mm / 990mm
(Mic reference axis) 439mm / 940mm

Volume for woofer about 23L

Anyone who knows the exact dates is welcome to share them.

The crossover frequencies are assumed to be 400Hz/3500Hz (but can be easily changed in the attached VCAD file).

Since no free field measurements were made during the design, no exact statements can be made about the acoustic filter slopes used. For the simulation I chose LR4 (this can also be changed in the attached VCAD file).

To save computing time, I simulated only the upper half of the speaker. For tweeter and midrange this has hardly any effect, for the woofer the changes are also within limits, as a comparison of the baffle diffraction for both versions (545mm versus 1100mm height) shows.
orange=diffraction for small baffle, blue=diffraction for normal baffle
1666188033121.png

The side edges and the upper edge of the cabinet were rounded with a radius of 10mm.
The simulation is only intended to give a rough overview of the radiation behavior of the speaker.

The BEM model ended up looking like this (note: don't get confused, only the dome/cone and surround are drawn in, not the outer edges of the drivers):
1666444928163.png
The simulation was created for the range 50Hz-14kHz, everything else should be ignored.

B. simulation and crossover
The simulation results were imported into VCAD, where a crossover was set up with 400/3000Hz LR4 and tuned for smoothly sloping PIR and SP.
1666445042027.png 1666445063534.png
Due to the extremely wide dispersion of mid dome and tweeter above 1.5kHz, strong hor edge diffraction occurs. Therefore, the best way to tune might be to completely ignore the on-axis FR and the LW and concentrate on a smoothly downward sloping PIR and SP.
Since the speakers are not used as nearfield monitors, the wavy on-axis FR and LW should not be too much of a problem.

I have attached the VCAD file, then everyone who is interested can make tests with it (Update: In the example XO crossover frequencies are now 400/3500Hz instead of 400/3000Hz).

C. simulation evaluation
The evaluation is based on an example crossover with crossover frequencies of 400Hz/3500Hz and LR4 filter slopes - with other XO the radiation will of course change somewhat.
From about 400Hz the slightly wavy DI behaves at a constant level until about 8kHz. Together with the wide dispersion, this means that in normal listening rooms the on-axis FR should probably show a slight downward tilt.
The hor radiation is extremely wide and if you include the information from section 1.B, the radiation around 3-6kHz should be even wider in reality.
hor normalized sonogram, black line is -6dB limit
1666445956169.png

Why a flat tuning to the on-axis FR or to the LW makes no sense becomes apparent when you look at the hor normalized FR:
1666445979109.png
Far too much "high frequency energy" would then be radiated into the room from 1.5kHz and above.

The normalized vertical radiation looks good (with the XO explained above). The wide radiation in the range of 2-8kHz is also apparent here (except in the range around the crossover frequency - obviously).
1666446013880.png

The wide radiation in the range 1.5-8kHz will definitely provide a lot of detail, but must also be kept in check somehow.

The only measurement we know of the speaker is room measurement at the listening position shown in the video - once before and after equalization.
1666190606690.png

If we look at the equalized frequency response with a common scaling, we can easily see that the frequency range of roughly 2-6kHz was lowered by up to 3dB - in an acoustically treated studio.
1666190972120.png

Update 2: It was brought to my attention that the M74S-6 has a small waveguide. I changed this in the simulation and also added a 10mm rounding to three edges.
The changes are not dramatic but present, so I have replaced all diagrams and the VCAD project file with the current version.

Update 3: The simulation has been improved thanks to further hints. I hope that the simulation is even closer to reality than it was before. I have replaced all diagrams and the VCAD project file with the new version. The dimensions of the cabinet and the driver positions have also been adjusted and changed in text.

Attachments

• sp_3.zip
    465.6 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

tktran303

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Analyse it yourself. But keep it up yourself.

What the point of it deconstructing this?
What are you goals?

If you can do better, then do better.

But I don’t think it constructive to critique someone else’s design publicly, particularly based on simulations.

Buy it, play with it, deconstruct it, offer mods for improvement.

But simulating it and critiquing it? Really?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My takeaway? Another cute cat :)

neRok

Simulating someone else's design is a good idea. I see DIY subwoofers for sale the have the box size and tuning listed, so I quickly mock it up in WinISD to see if it's a good design. Perhaps it has a good frequency response, but they haven't considered port chuffing? Or the box is certain dimensions that might make for bad resonances. I won't know without simulating (the smart way) or buying-and-testing (the inefficient way).

Specifically regarding this speakers design, I was a bit perplexed when the older bloke said a few times that "I did a simulation and built the design, but the results weren't good", and hence he iterated many box designs. If you're simulating a box, how can you get it wrong so many times? It sounds like they were not using correct or enough data for a good simulation, or they weren't paying attention to some aspect of the design (xmax, group delay, phase response, port velocity, etc). Maybe @ctrl's simulations will answer this question.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What the point of it deconstructing this? But I don’t think it constructive to critique someone else’s design publicly, particularly based on simulations.
On the one hand, such analyses are fun for me and I always learn something myself. On the other hand, this may help to bring the controversial discussion closer to reality until real free-field measurements are available.

I don't do this for DIY projects either. But the speaker is now offered commercially. There is hardly any data on the speaker - except that it is the best studio monitor they have EVER used.
A commercial Youtube channel promotes its own product with superlatives which is their right ... as well as discuss this product in a forum.

But simulating it and critiquing it? Really?
For the woofer and mid dome, the simulation will match reality pretty well. For the tweeter, there will be deviations in reality at frequencies above 3-4kHz to a wider dispersion pattern.

The point is to give an impression of how the speaker radiates and how the interaction with the baffle turns out.

What are you goals?
World domination!
1666179697329.png

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Specifically regarding this speakers design, I was a bit perplexed when the older bloke said a few times that "I did a simulation and built the design, but the results weren't good", and hence he iterated many box designs.

That's just the thing: anybody can make claims about anything. While I'm not convinced that they're making things up, though, esp. when it comes to their own subjective experiences. And I respect the fact that this was more of an informal live stream discussion. But, still, documentation for much of what's covered is still sorely lacking... For example, it was mentioned that the KH310 sounds "plastic". Okay, that's fine... but what exactly could be the cause? I'm sure somebody like @napilopez (who used to regularly review speakers) could do a better job of correlating what is heard from personal subjective experience with the objective measurements in a far more illuminating manner.

DJNX

New video about this speaker.
Talk between Jesco from Acoustics Insider and PresentDayProduction.

mumford

Watched the video. Information is lacking. They did talk about the crossover at 1:04:40. We guessed correctly on this thread. Pretty basic crossover. They did not seem to use simulation software to design the speakers. A lot of building boxes and listening. The old guy even talked about how he screwed up calculating internal volume of his sealed boxes near the end of the video.

Last edited:

neRok

crossover was set up with 400Hz/3000Hz
Just to document it: they said 400 and 3500 in the Acoustics Insider "interview" at ~1:02:45.
Why a flat tuning to the on-axis FR or to the LW makes no sense becomes apparent when you look at the hor normalized FR:
1666189480670.png
Far too much "high frequency energy" would then be radiated into the room from 1.5kHz and above.

The normalized vertical radiation looks good (with the XO explained above). But the extremely wide radiation in the range of 3-8kHz is also apparent here.
1666190013999.png

The wide radiation in the range 1.5-8kHz will definitely provide a lot of detail, but must also be kept in check somehow.

The only measurement we know of the speaker is room measurement at the listening position shown in the video - once before and after equalization.
1666190606690.png
I notice that their in-room before-eq measurement has dips at ~1.3k and ~2.4k, and then your simulation has directivity "features" in those areas too. Is that coincidence, or confirmation of the simulation?
If you're simulating a box, how can you get it wrong so many times?
Quoting myself, but after watching the Acoustics Insider video, I get the impression they only simulated the woofer, and only looked at the frequency response.

Early in the video the older bloke talks about selecting the tweeter and mid, and effectively says that they were selected upon specs (he wanted dome for "360" sound), that they don't need simulating and can just be chucked into a box. Whereas ctrl shows what is possible with simulating these drivers, and how the baffle affects the end result. So that was a missed step on their behalf.

Later in the video at ~50min mark he is talking about the box design for the woofer and eludes to the problem being port noise. He also says he didn't use a tube port when he tested a ported config, so therefore he must have used a rectangle slot. Perhaps he didn't pay attention to port air velocity at all (all those other graphs in WinISD are there for a reason), or perhaps he didn't pay attention to the small details like chamfers, internal port "mouth" clearance, etc.

Anyway, it's been interesting hearing about DIY 3-way Atmos systems, and the other trials and tribulations they have faced with regards to the signal side of things. They mention at the start of the video that they have been in discussion with interface manufactures about new components that can fit in the signal chain, so it will be interesting to see what comes out in that space in the near future.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just to document it: they said 400 and 3500 in the Acoustics Insider "interview" at ~1:02:45.
Thanks! Fixed it in post#61 and replaced the VCAD example file with a new one which has an 400/3500Hz example XO.

I notice that their in-room before-eq measurement has dips at ~1.3k and ~2.4k, and then your simulation has directivity "features" in those areas too. Is that coincidence, or confirmation of the simulation?
No, rather not. That could simply be a coincidence. It simply lacks important information that is nowadays taken for granted in the field of studio monitors, the crossover frequencies and the associated acoustic filter slopes.

For example, in the new video somewhere it is said that the speakers would show hardly any phase shift (<<90°?) before using FIR. That in turn would mean that first order filters were used at the crossover frequencies, which would open a new can of worms.***

*** Of course, it could also be that due to lack of experience "Minimum phase" was activated somewhere during the measurement and he just thought that there was hardly any phase shift.

fluid

Today I have seen measurements from another member I am in contact with who has his own DIY design using the Bliesma Be Mid Dome in basically the same baffle layout as used in the PDP monitor. The main difference is he uses a waveguide on the tweeter.

These measurements show that there is about 2dB of diffractive ripple that is consistent with off axis angles and is easily EQ able, the directivity is really pretty good. Between 800Hz and 3K the normalized polar is excellent, it is wide at 170 degrees up until 1900Hz where it begins to narrow.

There is a slight issue at around 3.5 to 5K where the response rises directly on axis. This coincides exactly to where PDP have introduced an EQ dip to compensate. At 15 degrees off axis this disappears so if the speakers were pointed almost straight out it is quite likely the listening axis would be flat without the EQ.

I am pretty sure from seeing these measurements that the PDP monitor is unlikely to have any deal breaking directivity issues and that it would sound really good as they claim.

The measurements are not mine and so I cannot show them here without first getting permission.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today I have seen measurements from another member I am in contact with who has his own DIY design using the Bliesma Be Mid Dome in basically the same baffle layout as used in the PDP monitor. The main difference is he uses a waveguide on the tweeter.

These measurements show that there is about 2dB of diffractive ripple that is consistent with off axis angles and is easily EQ able, the directivity is really pretty good. Between 800Hz and 3K the normalized polar is excellent, it is wide at 170 degrees up until 1900Hz where it begins to narrow.
Could it be that in this other DIY project the crossover frequency of mid dome and tweeter is well below 3.5kHz?

The simulation shows that the mid dome radiates relatively evenly up to 1.5 kHz.
Here are the frequency responses of the simulated mid-dome normalized to the axial frequency response.
1666251596342.png
If the cabinet depth of the other DYI project is different from that of PDP, then the radiation of the mid-dome below 1.5kHz will look slightly different.

fluid

Could it be that in this other DIY project the crossover frequency of mid dome and tweeter is well below 3.5kHz?

The simulation shows that the mid dome radiates relatively evenly up to 1.5 kHz.
Here are the frequency responses of the simulated mid-dome normalized to the axial frequency response.

If the cabinet depth of the other DYI project is different from that of PDP, then the radiation of the mid-dome below 1.5kHz will look slightly different.
No the crossover frequency is at 3K, I have run my own BEM sims of the Bliesma drivers based on the actual profile shapes and they are closer to the measured ones. The Bliesma drivers are really well behaved and the mid is very consistent in radiation up to 1.9K where it then begins to narrow. The dome shape, the inverted surround and the slight waveguided lip all produce something different in reality to the simulation you ran, which is reasonably close as many of the main features are easy to guess and their effect is still there. There is a slight off axis swell at 2k but not the same as the simulation predicts.

There is some difference between the Silk and Be domes, so it is not a one for one comparison.

Certainly the cabinet depth is a little different between the two but the shorter cabinet depth probably works in favour of the PDP.

Last edited:

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The dome shape, the inverted surround and the slight waveguided lip all produce something different in reality to the simulation you ran, which is reasonably close as many of the main features are easy to guess and their effect is still there.
Interesting, when I saw a picture of the mid dome I wasn't sure if a small WG was incorporated there. With the Bliesma tweeters, the radiation is not controlled, so I assumed the same for the mid dome.

Can you provide details on the small WG of the mid dome, then I can adjust the simulation accordingly.
1666253388540.png

goat76

Major Contributor
Seems like they want to have their cake and eat it. On one hand it's just their own project for their own studio, but here's a new studio monitor we might release-we've actually branded it but we don't want to be speaker manufacturers. Lol.

I'm sure it didn't go from a project for their own studio to actually think about selling them in a minute or a day. The turnaround has probably grown with time with more and more people showing interest in building their own, both by the persons visiting them and by the viewers watching the channel.

From the get-go, they have been completely clear that these speakers are built to suit their specific room. And the reason they are making them is to afford to install a complete Atmos system to be able to work with such productions.

And so what if they got an overwhelming response and now thinking of actually selling them as a kit, and maybe making some potato money out of the project? They seem to be honest guys and I think most others would think about doing the same if a lot of people were showing interest. :)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm sure it didn't go from a project for their own studio to actually think about selling them in a minute or a day. The turnaround has probably grown with time with more and more people showing interest in building their own, both by the persons visiting them and by the viewers watching the channel.

From the get-go, they have been completely clear that these speakers are built to suit their specific room. And the reason they are making them is to afford to install a complete Atmos system to be able to work with such productions.

And so what if they got an overwhelming response and now thinking of actually selling them as a kit, and maybe making some potato money out of the project? They seem to be honest guys and I think most others would think about doing the same if a lot of people were showing interest. :)
Fair enough, not saying they are bad people. I guess that I just don’t like the special pleading ie. ‘Here’s our product with some perceived added value derived of our being studio professionals but please don’t hold us to the same standard as other professional designers as we just did it for ourselves’. A more honest pitch would be ‘we did this to suit ourselves but we haven’t generalised the design to other applications using approved methods so it may be ok for your application but equally could be a load of shit, the choice is yours’.

goat76

Major Contributor
Fair enough, not saying they are bad people. I guess that I just don’t like the special pleading ie. ‘Here’s our product with some perceived added value derived of our being studio professionals but please don’t hold us to the same standard as other professional designers as we just did it for ourselves’. A more honest pitch would be ‘we did this to suit ourselves but we haven’t generalised the design to other applications using approved methods so it may be ok for your application but equally could be a load of shit, the choice is yours’.

I don't get that vibe watching the videos, I have seen a few videos from them before and they goofing around like they use to, their channel is obviously meant to be entertaining and will because of that probably never go in-depth with boring measuring.

We haven't seen the end of this. If this project truly turns into selling kits, I think it's possible they will provide more in-depth measurements (but maybe not in one of their regular videos).

Anyway, the video series of their project is at least fun to watch, and they seem to have succeeded with their project and the goals they had. :)

Last edited:

fluid

The sim seems to suggest that a waveguide for the tweeter is preferred.
In reality although the waveguide works very nicely, it is not a perfect match for the mid dome's directivity at 3K or higher. At 3K the silk is only slightly more directive than the Be. The waveguide was designed to match a similar sized cone driver and the Bliesma mid domes are less directive.

Top Bottom