• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SB Acoustics Satori WO24TX-4 Driver review published on audioxpress, Anyone using it yet or plans to use?

cavedriver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The relatively new SB/Satori WO24TX-4 driver was just reviewed by Vance Dickason and published on the audioxpress site. To my inexperienced eyes the numbers look unsurprisingly good as with the rest of the textreme drivers from Satori. Anyone see any issues here? I have not seen any DIY builds with it yet (nor use in any manufactured speakers) - is anyone working on or planning a build with it?

(I'm toying with the idea of pairing it with a Bliesma T34B tweeter in a wide baffle 2-way, kind of a "modern tech meets vintage proportions" build.)

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not sure how much better this will be vs the normal W024P-4, which by all accounts is already excellent. This new one is 1.5 to 2x the price.

As for pairing this with the Bliesma tweeter: good luck with the directivity mismatch! You'll need a waveguide tweeter to match the 10" woofer directivity, which will be hard to do with that grating on the Bliesmas. Performance-wise, the Satori should have no issues..

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anyone see any issues here?
Naturally the WO24TX-4 starts beaming quite early so your tweeter best be able to play down to 1-1.5kHz if you want smooth off-axis response.
Screenshot_20240125-160608_Chrome.png

OP
C

cavedriver

Naturally the WO24TX-4 starts beaming quite early so your tweeter best be able to play down to 1-1.5kHz if you want smooth off-axis response.
View attachment 344949
yeah, T34B is good down to 1500 Hz, part of the draw of using that tweeter. Below that it distorts though despite the very low Fs. But my "any problems" question was directed at the driver by itself. For example, the smaller earlier Satori textreme midwoofers have been criticized for their asymmetry but this one seems to be significantly better than those.

staticV3

Master Contributor
But my "any problems" question was directed at the driver by itself.
As was my criticism.

The WO24TX-4's sheer size makes integration into a 2-way design tricky, requiring a capable tweeter and waveguide combo for good results.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Expensive 10" drivers are always a bit weird. If you don't need the extended treble, you can probably spend less and get two 8" woofers and be better off. The only reason you'd want this driver is for a small 3 way or a 2 way.

For the former, this driver is overkill, since you don't need the extended treble. For the latter - it would work great, but you'd need a very special HF driver to match the performance. A dome tweeter in a huge waveguide? None on the market as far as I know, but it could be done, and a compression driver would work.

If you really wanted a big, high end speaker, this would be a good place to start. The cone material is very marketable.

I have a pair of WO24Ps per side on my speaker. It is a configurable bass-mid module that plays different roles. DSP crossed over around 300Hz in a 3way configuration and crossed over around 1.2kHz in a 2way speaker configuration. In that setup, the top end is handled by a BMS 4550 CD on an ST260 KVAR horn. I have found the combo very likeable to my ears. I can assume that it will only sound even better with a bit more fine-tuned horn-based setup and a driver with less pronounced break up resonance (I mean using a horn which slightly matches the directivity in the crossover region). The relatively subdued breakup of the TX drivers compared to the paper drivers might help with this aspect..
More details are here:

Anyway, the 2-way speaker looks like this:
1666845220271-png.1103273

And polar measurements based spin data like this as given in the above-mentioned thread:
index.php

index.php

System can sound like this (with all the limitations involved in recording a system like this using a mobile phone playing music in an untreated room)

If you intend to pursue something like this, you can look at ATH-generated horns on diyaudio or one of the horns on this site (for the 8/9.5inch waveguide):

NiToNi

Expensive 10" drivers are always a bit weird. If you don't need the extended treble, you can probably spend less and get two 8" woofers and be better off. The only reason you'd want this driver is for a small 3 way or a 2 way.

For the former, this driver is overkill, since you don't need the extended treble. For the latter - it would work great, but you'd need a very special HF driver to match the performance. A dome tweeter in a huge waveguide? None on the market as far as I know, but it could be done, and a compression driver would work.

If you really wanted a big, high end speaker, this would be a good place to start. The cone material is very marketable.

Sensitivity mismatch aside, which isn't a big issue if active, this woofer could be a good match with the Beyma TPL-150H tweeter.

Everett T

Forum Donor

The Beryllium waveguide from Satori has been done with the paper cone version of the WO with good success.

Everett T

Forum Donor
That’s intriguing…. where have you heard this @Everett T ?
The Helios, from Bagby and Javid.

Last edited:

Savi

The Helios, from Bagby and Javid.

Javad Shadzi is currently updating with the mentionned TX driver:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1709964684640.jpg
    FB_IMG_1709964684640.jpg
    198.4 KB · Views: 41
Top Bottom