• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I may have been a little hasty.

phile2

Thanks for feedback Count Arthur.

And what's your feeling vs the Core 7 ? Good ? Some weak points anywhere ?

Do you plan to use the digital input ?
Any plan to add a word clock to sync DAC + Cores ?
Rgds

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
I'm very happy with them, but it should be noted that I haven't really compared them to anything other than my previous amp and speakers.

Amir measured their bigger brothers, the Core 47s and, I think it's fair to say, was somewhat underwhelmed: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...io-core-47-review-professional-monitor.25113/, so there may well be better options for the money.

I've no plans to use the digital input, I like my current DAC, an RME ADI-2 FS, which doesn't have digital out. The RME is likely a more capable DAC than whatever is in the speakers anyway, so I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to that set-up.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The RME is likely a more capable DAC than whatever is in the speakers anyway, so I'm not sure there'd be any benefit to that set-up.
The speakers will digitize your output from the RME and then use its own DAC. This is required because it uses DSP.

I should clarify that it shouldn't matter because the AD conversion is extremely transparent. I did the same thing with my active, digital monitors. I just wanted you to understand how it was working.

OP
Count Arthur

Count Arthur

Major Contributor
The speakers will digitize your output from the RME and then use its own DAC. This is required because it uses DSP.
Makes sense, and sort of obvious when I think that the sub has a built in 3 band parametric equalizer. :)

YSC

Major Contributor
I'm sure you would be happy with the 9S - I'm not trying to convince you to spend more money! :D

Yet, subwoofers are not only for movie explosions. They give the "weight" to the music. Depending on your listening habits and on your demands, you might benefit from the lower frequency response [18S: 16 Hz vs. 9S: 22 Hz / both ±3 dB] and from more available headroom. Yes, 'room gain' adds up to the equation but in, e.g., [sub-genres of] classical music the dynamic range sometimes is enormous; see Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture.

The 9S also might tend to move a bit on the ground; under high(er) driver excursions, as its weight is only 10.5 kg. Sure, the 300W Class-D amplifier is less powerful and will prevent excursions as high as one can expect from the (different) long-throw drivers in the 18S or (updated) Core Sub. However, cabinet resonances should be significantly lower on a dual opposed drivers design; like on the 18S.

Would you wish to add multiple 9S(s), instead of a single 18S: This would be an entirely different story.
Sometimes I wonders as the 9s is really slim on the width, if I put it under desk and firing sideways would I notice it not firing towards me

Top Bottom