• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hypex NCx500 Class D Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 1.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 55 12.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 394 86.0%

• Total voters

goryu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audiophonics now has a NCx500 amplifier for roughly the same price as the Purifi.

web site says "dual mono" which I always took to mean a dedicated power supply to each channel. This has one 1200W smps serving 2 modules, meaning they won't reach rated power.

juliangst

web site says "dual mono" which I always took to mean a dedicated power supply to each channel. This has one 1200W smps serving 2 modules, meaning they won't reach rated power.
How much power will they reach with one power supply?

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
NCx500 is a nice combination of performance competitive with the Purifi 1ET400, while having more power and costing the same as the 1ET400.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

juliangst

That's a lot more power than the Purifi while having less distortion and costing the same price. I think we have a new ampflifier king :)

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
New Hypex website is online. The NCx500 is finally shown and the site looks like an improvement overall.:)

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
New Hypex website is online. The NCx500 is finally shown and the site looks like an improvement overall.:)
And my review/measurements are out as well in the latest issue of AudioXpress.

No surprise: I want to keep these modules. I don't need them, but I want them. :cool:

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for pointing out. Finally the NCx500 datasheet.
Also interesting new module for active speakers. What is the difference to their Fusion line?

Edit: after comparing the datasheets between the 1ET7040SA and the NCx500, the latter has more distortion in the THD x frequency, higher IMD and higher output impedance. The Purifi still edges out in the comparison as the more refined module, though how audible that is I leave it for you all to debate. In that sense Nilai500 has better THD x frequency than NCx500, but lower power and higher price...

Last edited:

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And my review/measurements are out as well in the latest issue of AudioXpress. them. :cool:

Darn, just after I finally gave up on AudioXpress and didn't renew my subscription. :(

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for pointing out. Finally the NCx500 datasheet.
Also interesting new module for active speakers. What is the difference to their Fusion line?

NCAS is not really new and seems pretty much packaging of MP series. It does not plate mount or have DSP like Fusion. You may have noticed it more due to the website giving it more exposure.

Edit: after comparing the datasheets between the 1ET7040SA and the NCx500, the latter has more distortion in the THD x frequency, higher IMD and higher output impedance. The Purifi still edges out in the comparison as the more refined module, though how audible that is I leave it for you all to debate. In that sense Nilai500 has better THD x frequency than NCx500, but lower power and higher price...

NCx500 is better price/performance overall. Would not expect it to compare to the Purifi 7040.

deercreekaudio

Dealer
How much power will they reach with one power supply?
Here is a power comparison vs load impedance:

1681319559579.png

Deer Creek Audio is an authorized Hypex dealer

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Illustrated.
(0,001% = -100 dB, IMD as close in power as possible.)

NCx500
ncx freq.jpg

ncx imd.jpg

1ET7040SA
7040 freq.jpg

7040 imd.jpg

Nilai500
nilai freq.jpg

nilai imd.jpg

goryu

No surprise: I want to keep these modules. I don't need them, but I want them. :cool:

Have you listened to the Purifi and Nilai modules? Any personal preference among the three, if you have heard them?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Have you listened to the Purifi and Nilai modules? Any personal preference among the three, if you have heard them?
I have Purifis as an amp in my system. The Nilais are still under review, so I can't talk about them yet. The NCx has an advantage for me because I want to package this myself.

Sokel

Master Contributor
There are not new,coincidently I was asking if new modules will follow 8 days ago in this thread.
(but got no answer)

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

The figure 4 was specially interesting, where it shows power x THD+N in 100 Hz, 1 kHz and 10 kHz. The knee of 100 Hz is some 100W earlier in 100 Hz than in 1 kHz. This is interesting as the average music power is concentrated on the bass more than mids and even less highs (link). So the power delivered is more relevant to check in 100 Hz (or lower). Goes to show that it is better to buy a more powerful amp for large speakers.

Last edited:

pma

Major Contributor
Illustrated.
Yes, illustrated. That’s how it would look in our old days of measurements when the measuring bandwidth was NOT limited to 20 kHz. The THD plots with 20kHz BW are completely pointless. In fact it has -80dB (0.01%) at 20kHz.

C8C16B2D-D1BD-4404-A26E-216DF3803897.jpeg

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, illustrated. That’s how it would look in our old days of measurements when the measuring bandwidth was NOT limited to 20 kHz. The THD plots with 20kHz BW are completely pointless. In fact it has -80dB (0.01%) at 20kHz.

View attachment 278858
Here we go again... FAQ no. 7.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It is as if NCx500 has extra focus on reducing distortions on bass and mids (see IMD distortion at 1 kHz) a letting go earlier in treble (below 20 kHz), where musical signal is lower and the ear less sensitive. I wonder if that was a design goal.

Last edited:
Top Bottom