• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How NOT to set up speakers and room treatment ( Goldensound)

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
N

Nkam

To suit what? He showed ETC measurements and claimed those reflections needed to be eliminated. If that was his preference, then he should have stated it and indicated why.

This is a marketing material created and funded by headphones.com. No way is it just a random dude saying what he likes.
Bingo

this IS marketing cr@p from headphones . Com.
why do you think his own ‘ scientific’ vids are very very few and far between.

why do you think he has a patron for chatting.
yeah you have to pay to get on an audio chat.

chirst

Geert

Major Contributor
No I also posted a video from others who have years of experience in doing room treatments for a living.

the point being that, one room , all of a sudden glory is mine. I’m an expert.

My comment is not about you, it's about Tuga repeadetly stating part of Toole's work is flawed, and to use the search function to figure out why. It's leading to nothing.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
he could come out with a video that says. “ hey fellas I made my first speaker room and this is how I like it”

He actually starts the video by saying "this is my new listening room ... I'm going to show you, with measurements how I turned it into a fantastic listening space". Tomayto, tomahto. But if you are just going to rant, and not really converse, I'll probably leave you to it.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes he's just a kid. We get to say that because we're fifty plus and we earned that right, added to which one of the only benefits to being over fifty is that you get to tell youngsters that they don't know anything, and we like to make the most of that.

He's a good presenter, he doesn't waffle, he doesn't umm and arr. He's watchable, unlike 90 percent of Youtube hi-fi presenters whose videos are impossible to make it all the way through. He needs to lose the village idiot shorts and buy a pair of trousers or trackies, that's my main criticism.

What he should do is make another video showing how you can sort the acoustics of a room for next to no money instead of paying thousands to GK acoustics. Most people can't afford to spend that kind of money and it isn't really necessary, something he doesn't mention since he is young and wealthy so he doesn't know.

Think I will get a camera and get myself into this lark. There's a gap in the market to appeal to deadbeat enthusiasts like me.

OP
N

Nkam

He actually starts the video by saying "this is my new listening room ... I'm going to show you, with measurements how I turned it into a fantastic listening space". Tomayto, tomahto. But if you are just going to rant, and not really converse, I'll probably leave you to it.
“ How to make your room sound amazing “

that’s the title

Axo1989

Major Contributor
“ How to make your room sound amazing “

that’s the title

Haha, so you're what 50 (who knows) and you've never seen a YouTube title before? Should I attach the oldmanyellsatcloud.gif to settle things down? :)

OP
N

Nkam

Yes he's just a kid. We get to say that because we're fifty plus and we earned that right, added to which one of the only benefits to being over fifty is that you get to tell youngsters that they don't know anything, and we like to make the most of that.

He's a good presenter, he doesn't waffle, he doesn't umm and arr. He's watchable, unlike 90 percent of Youtube hi-fi presenters whose videos are impossible to make it all the way through. He needs to lose the village idiot shorts and buy a pair of trousers or trackies, that's my main criticism.

What he should do is make another video showing how you can sort the acoustics of a room for next to no money instead of paying thousands to GK acoustics. Most people can't afford to spend that kind of money and it isn't really necessary, something he doesn't mention since he is young and wealthy so he doesn't know.

Think I will get a camera and get myself into this lark. There's a gap in the market to appeal to deadbeat enthusiasts like me.

not really.

credentials matter. If you noticed I said he did good work on DACs. He knows more than me. Period.
I have no shame in that being I am twice his age. Who cares??

what I do care about is people shunning off others who ‘ happen’ to be older, not just cause they are older, but because they spent decades doing actual work and research.
it’s not the age , thats just a number. What comes with that is decades of work.
well at least with me. But at the same time if someone is 24 and knows more about me than something , why should I get angry at that?

my years haven’t earned me anything. Hard work and experience does.

credentials.

like I said. Would you want a 24 year old to perform surgery on you?
or are we being mean to kids?
no , that’s actually facts and science as well.

I don’t care to tell kids anything. But yeah it irks me when someone at 24 gets on their high horse and preaches about something they haven’t worked hard on

if he made a video on toilet paper maybe I would watch that since that is about the only experience he has had at 24. ( an Eddie Murphy joke ).

Reactions: VQR

Galliardist

Major Contributor
I’ve met 24 year olds with masters and PhDs, who I would absolutely trust in their fields, as well as 25 year olds with on the job experience.

I don’t believe age really comes into this: experience does.

OP
N

Nkam

And in the end. Shoot I could care less

wanna be bamboozeled outta your money? Be my guest.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
yes please.

Haha

tenor.gif

OP
N

Nkam

I’ve met 24 year olds with masters and PhDs, who I would absolutely trust in their fields, as well as a 25 year olds with on the job experience.

you cannot get a PhD at 24 unless you are a prodigy.

OP
N

Nkam

I’ve met 24 year olds with masters and PhDs, who I would absolutely trust in their fields, as well as a 25 year olds with on the job experience.

ok you take the 24 year old to perform surgery on you. I’ll take the one with a bit more experience and doing more surgeries.

or sell that line to your employer at 24 . Please tell me their reaction.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
not really.

credentials matter. If you noticed I said he did good work on DACs. He knows more than me. Period.
I have no shame in that being I am twice his age. Who cares??

what I do care about is people shunning off others who ‘ happen’ to be older, not just cause they are older, but because they spent decades doing actual work and research.
it’s not the age , thats just a number. What comes with that is decades of work.
well at least with me. But at the same time if someone is 24 and knows more about me than something , why should I get angry at that?

my years haven’t earned me anything. Hard work and experience does.

credentials.

like I said. Would you want a 24 year old to perform surgery on you?
or are we being mean to kids?
no , that’s actually facts and science as well.

I don’t care to tell kids anything. But yeah it irks me when someone at 24 gets on their high horse and preaches about something they haven’t worked hard on

if he made a video on toilet paper maybe I would watch that since that is about the only experience he has had at 24. ( an Eddie Murphy joke ).
I don't disagree with you at all, I have worked in business with youngsters who had MBA qualification, they still knew nothing and made silly errors.

Anything complex you need years of learning, training and practical experience to become an expert.

Given this is just room treatment and not invasive surgery, or making business decisions involving millions of pounds and employee livelihoods then I cut him some slack. Nothing bad will happen if someone gets it wrong.

tuga

Major Contributor
Tuga starts this discussion every 4 to 6 weeks, if it's not tiring for the all of us i would expect at some point it also became tiring for him at some point.

I don't 'start' a discussion, I merely raise the issue when the research is used as 'truth'.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I don't 'start' a discussion, I merely raise the issue when the research is used as 'truth'.
I can't believe you wrote that with straight face....

tuga

Major Contributor
Speaking of mixing rooms, formal study was done to see if there is preference for side wall absorption, diffusion or reflection when creating a mix in a controlled environment. Result was that it did not matter but when the testers were asked to express an opinion, most preferred a reflective side (painted drywall). From peer reviewed journal of AES paper, The Practical Effects of Lateral Energy in Critical Listening Environments

"2.1.1 Main Effects
The only statistically significant effect was Music F (2, 123) = 5.71, p = 0.0034. However, the main factor for this experiment, Treatment, was not found to be statistically significant F (2, 7.6) = 0.35, p = 0.7."

"2.3 Subjects’ Preference
After the experiment each subject was asked which acoustic treatment created the best listening condition for mixing. Eight (8) subjects decided it is Diffusion, seven (7) decided Absorption, and eleven (11) decided Reflection. We decided to test subjects’ level preference and variance performance based on that information (Fig. 11)."

View attachment 288953

So once again, we need to operate from the position that sidewalls are beneficial unless proven otherwise (in the case of listener). Instructing people to blindly absorb them is just wrong. What seems intuitive is just wrong here. Two ears and brain don't work in the way people imagine....

index.php

A 26-strong sample, that's almost 4x larger than Toole's 'Quad 63 vs. Kef 105.2 vs. Rega Model 3' effects of directivity sample.
Still, is that statistically significant?

Vuki

Nonsense. His preference came from multiple tests of listener preferences showing side reflections are beneficial. Where does you preference come from? Stuff you have read online?
Well, his preference is his. Since when is individual preference not allowed? General preference is just average of many individual preferences, so perhaps no one's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom