• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Got it to work! I'm using Foobar 2000. I have another noob question, is it possible to use ASIO output for the whole of windows and not individual players? If yes, is there any benefit to it?
Unfortunately no... Windows is locked into the same rate you choose under the audio device settings. ASIO just bypasses this.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

olavrb

Bought Hidizs S8 used today, tested it on both my Windows system and my Android phone. Amazing little device!
I have no idea what firmware it runs, and I manually installed latest drivers from Tempotec. No issues so far.

I gathered the drivers and firmwares I could find for Hidizs S8 & Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, uploaded it to MEGA and Google Drive for others convenience. If I'm missing anything here, please tell and I'll have it added. :)

https://mega.nz/folder/e840mRDB#F9E5_FD9op5owWiHToRKxg

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1glR-jFMZGB8JSvY5rRuvI9rGtmGGuBIa?usp=sharing

petrabeat

My S8 works perfectly on Windows and Android.
I have not upgraded the firmware or installed the driver (it still shows as iAP Interface in W10).

I don't want to upgrade and install in case it breaks something.
Is there any benefit to installing the driver and upgrading the firmware?

Does it increase volume, sound quality or anything like that, or are they more stability upgrades?

Thanks

Last edited:

im6cninoit

Anyone ever find a fix for the tempotec sonata hd pro pop/ crackle? Mine continues to do it whenever I play/ pause music and it's especially annoying in discord voice channels when people talk.

Edit: I've tried all the fixes I've seen listed in this thread ie: Firmware 1.0/3.0, USB Drivers, USB Suspend, 2V Bypass, Bios Updates

Edit: Figured out that it is the Sample Rate of the Dongle that is causing the clicking. Setting it to anything with a 16bit depth has no clicks, but anything above at 24/32 will cause clicking when pausing/resuming audio. Unsure of any fix for the sample rate so far.

Last edited:

Zerohour

Anyone ever find a fix for the tempotec sonata hd pro pop/ crackle? Mine continues to do it whenever I play/ pause music and it's especially annoying in discord voice channels when people talk.

Edit: I've tried all the fixes I've seen listed in this thread ie: Firmware 1.0/3.0, USB Drivers, USB Suspend, 2V Bypass, Bios Updates

Edit: Figured out that it is the Sample Rate of the Dongle that is causing the clicking. Setting it to anything with a 16bit depth has no clicks, but anything above at 24/32 will cause clicking when pausing/resuming audio. Unsure of any fix for the sample rate so far.

I had some popping issue with certain sample rates (forgot which) but the pop-in whenever an audio starts/stop never went away (since its apparently a power-saving feature). My crude way of fixing it was having a constant audio file playing on the PC while using it (so its constantly on).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had some popping issue with certain sample rates (forgot which) but the pop-in whenever an audio starts/stop never went away (since its apparently a power-saving feature). My crude way of fixing it was having a constant audio file playing on the PC while using it (so its constantly on).

That's weird. I use my Sonata HD Pro as a DAC connected to a THX 789 amp, with passthrough to my speaker amp. Never had any popping issues when audio starts. Wonder if that's related to the USB hardware/drivers on your computer?

Malis

That's weird. I use my Sonata HD Pro as a DAC connected to a THX 789 amp, with passthrough to my speaker amp. Never had any popping issues when audio starts. Wonder if that's related to the USB hardware/drivers on your computer?

Same here, I use it on a daily basis connected to my phone and laptop, no popping sounds in 8 months. I have varied the bit depth and still no issues. I have not installed any additional/specific drivers on my PC, just plug and play.

If it helps, my laptop is ASUS UX434F, and I am connecting the S8 to USB-C connector.

Last edited:

Zerohour

No idea, I've tried so many "fix" (some suggested in this thread and some general driver/power-saving settings changes for Win10) and while they improved some things, the "popping in" when any audio starts never went away and since it is also present while using it with my Samsung phone, probably not just a driver issue. Also tried so many firmwares, so no, that also did not fix the issue.

zvukofor

Re: pops and clicks.
It seems like s8 goes in some kind of “sleep” state if signal drops to low level, and it does that with a ramp with steps, like turning down digital volume control rapidly.

I can hear it on a lot of songs that has bass drum/drums or bass playing staccato notes in solo.

And that clicks when starts playing, stops, pauses, seeking the song - seems like the same “feature”, like it goes in low consumption mode when there is a big drop in level...

Can’t say what it is really, but i think it is only possible to disable with firmware, as i got these “clicking” problems with iOS devices, with Macbook, and with Win10.

Damn pity, as it sounds just fantastic.

Jabinho

I really like this S8 version. I think my S9 Pro is too dynamic to my taste. S8 is more analytical and true to the original recording.

zvukofor

Re: pops and clicks.
It seems like s8 goes in some kind of “sleep” state if signal drops to low level, and it does that with a ramp with steps, like turning down digital volume control rapidly.

I can hear it on a lot of songs that has bass drum/drums or bass playing staccato notes in solo.

And that clicks when starts playing, stops, pauses, seeking the song - seems like the same “feature”, like it goes in low consumption mode when there is a big drop in level...

Can’t say what it is really, but i think it is only possible to disable with firmware, as i got these “clicking” problems with iOS devices, with Macbook, and with Win10.

Damn pity, as it sounds just fantastic.

OK, got some news.

I send email to Hidizs to tell 'em about this "clicks" and "rings" problems, and 1 day later i got an answer!
They asked me if i can record the sound where they can hear this noises. Of course, i can, being a recording engineer )
So i did, and sent audio to Hidizs, now waiting for their answer on a problem.

Kevbaz

I bought the Hidizs S8 a few days ago and so far working with no issues, no clicking and sounds great on my HD660s although I don’t listen very loud.
Using MacBook and Qobuz as a source. I was planning to buy a Schiit desktop DAC/amp but at the moment don’t see any point in upgrading and just keep using the S8 as my desktop DAC :)
I would be interested to see if the S9pro measures well, as I plan to get my son a decent DAC for his phone so could give him the S8 and get myself an S9pro if it measures at least as well as the S8
Kevin

lordhumungous

I pick up a lot of noise , interference on my S8 and sometimes the music will stop because of it. Any solution?

brandall10

I purchased one of these a week ago... worked great on my 16" MBP up until this morning. Now no volume whatsoever, just on MacOS, works fine from my iPhone.

Roon and the os Sound pref panel recognize and connect to the device just fine. It just doesn't produce any volume. On a lark, I fished out a Sonata HD Pro and it also has the same issue.

Tried a Chord Mojo and it works fine, so it's not just a generic connecting to a DAC issue. So it appears to be an issue w/ how the Hidizs units interact w/ MacOS, and specifically the state my MacOS is in.

Any ideas or things to check? I've rebooted my machine a few times to no avail, mashed the +/- buttons, and to reiterate, my machine connects to the Hidizs just fine, just nothing plays despite Roon connecting to and appearing to play music. Eliminated any cable issues as well.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I purchased one of these a week ago... worked great on my 16" MBP up until this morning. Now no volume whatsoever, just on MacOS, works fine from my iPhone.

Roon and the os Sound pref panel recognize and connect to the device just fine. It just doesn't produce any volume. On a lark, I fished out a Sonata HD Pro and it also has the same issue.

Tried a Chord Mojo and it works fine, so it's not just a generic connecting to a DAC issue. So it appears to be an issue w/ how the Hidizs units interact w/ MacOS, and specifically the state my MacOS is in.

Any ideas or things to check? I've rebooted my machine a few times to no avail, mashed the +/- buttons, and to reiterate, my machine connects to the Hidizs just fine, just nothing plays despite Roon connecting to and appearing to play music. Eliminated any cable issues as well.
two suggestions:

First I would have a look at the macOS advanced audio settings and check if perhaps one of the volume controls there is muted.
image0 (2).jpg

If nothing looks out of place there, then I'd try reflashing your DAC's firmware using Tempotec's update tool.

brandall10

two suggestions:

First I would have a look at the macOS advanced audio settings and check if perhaps one of the volume controls there is muted.

If nothing looks out of place there, then I'd try reflashing your DAC's firmware using Tempotec's update tool.

Thank you! That was it, the Master bar in the Audio Midi Setup above had mute checked for Sonata USB Audio. Have no idea how that could have happened, haven't opened this util in years.

lordhumungous

I just cannot use the S8 in a gym environment . Too much interference whether I use the apple camera connection kit or the 20 dollar cable Hidiz
sells.
Too many interruptions . It works fine in my office at home.

I even had it at a secluded area of the gym in the locker room and i could hear interference with no music playing near my iphone that i use.

It sounds great but i bought it for the gym. I guess ill just use the 9 dollar Apple dongle at the gym.

Top Bottom