• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some data on dongle compatibility with iPhone 15

chi2

Forum Donor
I thought this might be of interest for the small group of iPhone users considering the purchase of an iPhone 15. So here's the result of a basic functionality test of some dongle DACs attached to an iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 17.0.3:

Ok are:
Apple USB-C dongle ;)
Creative SXFi
E1DA 9038D
E1DA 9038S3
E1DA 9038S3 susumu
HIBY FC4
Hidizs S8
Hidizs S9
Hidizs S9 Pro
Hilidac Beam 2
Meizu
Meizu Pro
Musiland MU2
Shanling UA2
Tempotec Sonata BHD Pro

Not ok is:
Tempotec Sonata HD Pro

Two things are remarkable: First, the E1DA DACs run flawlessly despite some reports of incompatibility due to the USB bridge. Maybe the update to 17.0.3 has solved the issue on the side of the iPhone? Second, the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro does not seem to be fully identical with the Hidizs S8. I don't know if it's a hardware oder a software difference but both of my Sonata HD Pro don't work with the iPhone 15 giving an error message ("Accessory not supported") while both S8 run just fine.

staticV3

Master Contributor
First, the E1DA DACs run flawlessly despite some reports of incompatibility due to the USB bridge. Maybe the update to 17.0.3 has solved the issue on the side of the iPhone?
With the current firmware, E1DA DACs will not work on Lightning iPhones running iOS 17.0.3

@IVX already wrote a new firmware that restores audio playback with those iPhones, but it's not ready for customers yet.

OP
C

chi2

Forum Donor
So, it's an older firmware that I'm running which has no issues?

staticV3

Master Contributor
So, it's an older firmware that I'm running which has no issues?
Your firmware is probably up to date.
Your iPhone doesn't have a Lightning jack, and that's why you have no issues.

OP
C

chi2

Forum Donor
Ah, so it's not a v15 issue with the E1DA DACs but an iOS 17 one. Thanks for the clarification.

Still puzzles me why the Sonata HD Pro doesn't work when the S8 does.

OP
C

chi2

Forum Donor
I installed the Tempotec Sonata BHD 2.0 firmware onto my two Sonata HD Pro dongles. No issue with installation at all. Now they finally work attached to the USB-C port of the iPhone 15 Pro Max running iOS 17.

Moreover, the installed 'wrong' firmware introduced more volume steps allowing finer regulation - but gladly not too many as with the Sonata BHD Pro. Additionally, the Sonata HD now runs all the time in high gain mode.

I'm not sure if the highest volume setting may be flawed by a slightly increased level of distortion. Therefore, I'm running it two steps below max. This way, even with high-sensitivity in-ears, there is no audible distortion or noise.

Top Bottom