• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hidizs MP145 IEM Review

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 3 2.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 7.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 43.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 60 46.9%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review, listening tests, EQ and detailed measurements of the Hidizs MP145. It was sent to me by the company and costs US $150.
HIDIZS MP145 IEM review.jpg

The immediate impression of the shells is one of jewelry with its machined aluminum case. As you see, the included cable has 4.4mm balanced connection even though it doesn't need that (plenty sensitive to work fine with 3.5 mm unbalanced). Included in the case are three tip variants and nozzles (latter not shown):
HIDIZS MP145 IEM tips.jpg

As is typical, medium size tips match my GRAS 45CA measurement artificial ears best. But for listening, I have to go one size larger. I started with balanced tips but then tried to measure with the other tips. I found the process of swapping tips very difficult. The nozzle is large and the tips barely fit it. Good news is that once you get them on there, they going to stay. With some other IEMs I have had the tip get stuck in my ear while the IEM detaches! :) The measured difference with the three tips was very small. Given how hard it was to do this, I did not attempt to change the nozzles so the measurements you see are with the default ones.

The drivers in this IEM are planar magnetic which is a deviation from many others.

Hidizs MP145 IEM Measurement
Fitment on the headphone measurement system was quick and rather painless resulting in this frequency response:
HIDIZS MP145 IEM frequency response measurement.png

As you see, compliance is very good except for some shortfall in treble region. Channel matching was excellent especially given the vagaries of getting IEMs to fit on the test fixture. Relative frequency response gives a chance for minor tweaking:
HIDIZS MP145 IEM relative frequency response measurement.png

Distortion is exceedingly low:
HIDIZS MP145 IEM relative distortion THD response measurement.png

It is basically non-existent at 94 dBSPL and hardly gets worse at higher levels. Here it is in absolute level:
HIDIZS MP145 IEM distortion THD response measurement.png

Group delay is very clean but this is typical of many IEMs:
HIDIZS MP145 IEM Group Delay response measurement.png

Being planar magnetic, impedance is flat and low:
HIDIZS MP145 IEM impedance response measurement.png

Sensitivity is a bit low for an IEM but not the worst we have measured:
most sensitive IEM review.png

You should have no trouble driving it with many sources. Normal listening level on my RME ADI-2 Pro is around -45 dB.

Hidizs MP145 IEM Listening Test and Equalization
Initial impression was one of neutral present for the most part, lacking a bit of emphasis in highs. I could certainly live with this but why not apply some EQ to brighten things up:
HIDIZS MP145 IEM eq parametric equalization.png

I first created the right two filters. That gave the treble region more light but then the overall signature was too bright (even after I turned them down some). So I put in the shelving filter to bring up the deep bass. That nicely balanced things. To get rid of a tiny bit of bass bloat, I added the pink filter (2). Once there, the sound while not super different, was a lot more exciting for the lack of a better word. Sub-bass was impressive in its reproduction and how clean it was. Highs would sparkle and sometimes startle (for an IEM) the way they externalized. I sat there listening to track after track and could not stop. Eventually I did and took the pictures for the review, only to go back wearing them as I type this! The fidelity with this bit of EQ is just stunning.

Conclusions
The MP145 is a nicely made, good looking IME which comes very close to approximating our target (with its other nozzles, it may be closer). That makes it more than usable as is. A bit of EQ though, adds more flavor to the sound making it reference quality as far as I am concerned, putting a smile on my face on track after track. Yes, I have tested cheaper IEMs with similar experience but here you have another option made differently with some tuning at your disposal.

I am going to recommend the Hidizs MP145 IEM especially when used with a bit of EQ.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• HIDIZS MP145 IEM frequency response measurement.zip
    33.1 KB · Views: 147
Last edited:

nerdemoji

Overpriced for an IEM of this performance, but I suppose there are some who prefer a more mid-focus tuning.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Fine, but, the better is the enemy of the good. I can use the famous RED without EQ, for a fraction of the price.

Maiky76

Here are some thoughts about the EQ.

Please report your findings, positive or negative!

Notes about the EQ design:
  • The average L/R is used to calculate the score.
  • The resolution is 12 points per octave interpolated from the raw data (provided by @amirm)
  • A Genetic Algorithm is used to optimize the EQ.
  • The EQ Score is designed to MAXIMIZE the Score WHILE fitting the Harman target curve (and other constrains) with a fixed complexity.
    This will avoid weird results if one only optimizes for the Score.
    It will probably flatten the Error regression doing so, the tonal balance should be therefore more neutral.
  • The EQs are starting point and may require tuning (certainly at LF and maybe at HF).
  • The range around and above 10kHz is usually not EQed unless smooth enough to do so.
  • I am using PEQ (PK) as from my experience the definition is more consistent across different DSP/platform implementations than shelves.
  • With some HP/amp combo, the boosts and preamp gain (loss of Dynamic range) need to be carefully considered to avoid issues with, amongst other things, too low a Max SPL or damaging your device. You have beed warned.
  • Not all units of the same product are made equal. The EQ is based on the measurements of a single unit. YMMV with regards to the very unit you are trying this EQ on.
  • I sometimes use variations of the Harman curve for some reasons. See rational here: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-5#post-989169
  • https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...pro-review-headphone.28244/page-6#post-992119
  • NOTE: the score then calculated is not comparable to the scores derived from the default Harman target curve if not otherwise noted.
  • Occluding IE devices generally must have very good fitting/seal in the user's ear canal for best performance.
    please spend a few minutes to pick up the best ear tip... Be sure to perform this step otherwise the FR/Score/EQ presented here are just worthless.
  • 1. more bass = better seal
    2. More isolation from the outside world = better fit
    3. Comfort

I have generated one EQ, the APO config file is attached.

Score no EQ: 77.0
Score with EQ: 96.7
HIDIZS MP145 Harman EQ.png

Knowles target, the scores are NOT comparable!

Score no EQ: 73.1
Score with EQ: 96.7
HIDIZS MP145 Knowles EQ.png

Attachments

• HIDIZS MP145 Knowles EQ.txt
    602 bytes · Views: 105
  • HIDIZS MP145 Harman EQ.txt
    413 bytes · Views: 147
Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Oops. Just added.

Additionally here are the Manufacturer Specifications:

- 14.5mm Ultra-large Planar Magnetic Driver
- Whale Tail & Rorqual Pleats Design Inspiration
- Hidizs Pneumatic Sound Tuning Filter
- Target H-2019 Curve & Hidizs Style Professional Tuning
- Fully Symmetrical Magnetic Circuit
- Hidden Bionic Breathing Holes
- 6N Silver-Plated Single-Crystal Copper Wire
- Ergonomics Design with Comfortable Extended Wear
- Ergonomics Liquid Silicone Ear Tips
- Customized Pouch for MP145
- 3.5mm or 4.4mm cable optional
- 0.78mm 2-Pin Cable
- Hi-Res Certification

Last edited by a moderator:

renaudrenaud

Major Contributor
Fine, but, the better is the enemy of the good. I can use the famous RED without EQ, for a fraction of the price.
At least we can recognize it is not broken!

Reactions: CMB

respice finem

Major Contributor
In the iem world, now the absolute fidelity can be had for 50 bucks. I see no point in spending anything more. I would rather spend the rest on a SOTA DAC/Amp and have a SOTA system all together under 150.
Even if finding a "SOTA" DAC/amp for 100 $ may be hard, that's essentially correct, because more or less everyone already has at least one of the many digital signal sources.
So, at least the informed headphone listener can get top quality on the cheap.
Maybe the "good old days" of hi-fi are right now?

Last edited:

F1308

Major Contributor
In the iem world, now the absolute fidelity can be had for 50 bucks. I see no point in spending anything more. I would rather spend the rest on a SOTA DAC/Amp and have a SOTA system all together under 150.
We have to hear the new technology...

:):):):)

Last edited:

respice finem

Major Contributor
My inner skeptic tends to expect "diminishing returns", considering this is @1.500$.

@thread topic: IDK if metal is the best choice for IEM, because it adds weight and chills the ears, which can be pleasant or not, depending on the outside temperature.

museguy

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
My inner skeptic tends to expect "diminishing returns", considering this is @1.500$.
??? It is one hundred fifty dollars. Not fifteen hundred.

respice finem

Major Contributor
??? It is one hundred fifty dollars. Not fifteen hundred.
I was referring to a link in the post above mine

Zrzut ekranu z 2023-12-02 10-05-00.png

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I sat there listening to track after track and could not stop.
So, you've been testing both the new Dan Clark and this one on a short period ?
What do you think is the main differentiator between those ?
What could help justifying one is 13 times more expensive ?

Last edited:

TK750

So, you've been testing both the new Dan Clark and this one on a short period ?
What do you think us the main differentiator between those ?
What could help justifying one is 13 times more expensive ?
One is an iem and one is a closed back over ear headphone? Sorry I don't wish to come across as rude but they are obviously very different? In terms of justifying it being 13 times more expensive that may be a stretch, but I would imagine the DCA costs a fair bit more to produce and manufacture, both in terms of R&D and material cost/construction etc. I would also expect the warranty and reliability to be a different and hopefully superior experience.

Rja4000

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One is an iem and one is a closed back over ear headphone? Sorry I don't wish to come across as rude but they are obviously very different? In terms of justifying it being 13 times more expensive that may be a stretch, but I would imagine the DCA costs a fair bit more to produce and manufacture, both in terms of R&D and material cost/construction etc. I would also expect the warranty and reliability to be a different and hopefully superior experience.
:) Yes, I am kind of aware of that, thanks.
I'm speaking about listening pleasure and fidelity.

TK750

:) Yes, I am kind of aware of that, thanks.
I'm speaking about listening pleasure and fidelity.
I see, no worries =]. I think that's probably quite a difficult and subjective thing to quantify but we will see what Amir says!

Top Bottom