• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop May USB-C Headphones Review

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Seeing as many images/figurines are in bikini's, other sexualised items of wear or posed in such a coquettish way then.....yeah, I'd say so.

markanini

Major Contributor
S’weird how their society accepts sexualised prepubescent looking anime figure/figurines as normal, why don’t they use male icons as anime on their boxes if the gender is not an issue?, personally I find it really fucking creepy borderline pedeophilic in nature
I don't understand the desire to question other cultures art and media, or of making pedophilic assumptions. By the number western men traveling to Asia to do unmentionable things to people of young age who's place it is to question really?

Somafunk

Major Contributor
With such an argument I'm out of thread.\

OP
P

Phenoez8

Since you have both, can you give a more in-depth comparison for the Zero Red? I like how they sound but the fit is a bit annoying.
Sure! Which one are you having troubles with the fit?

OP
P

Phenoez8

The half db discontinuity ... can you hear that at all? It would seem to be at the edge of audibility if you playing steady state tones right there, you might hear it.
Hello! Realistically, I don't think I can hear it at all.

OP
P

Phenoez8

Moondrop CEO Herbert Zheng is just really into anime, this I think is where this all started
Tanchjim I believe are good friends with Moondrop
Truthear was started by a Moondrop engineer

Some of the other brands possibly are on it because it has been so successful with Moondrop, but I think that's where it really started with IEMs specifically, Moondrop, and their CEO, and two of the other brands that are best known for doing it are also close to Moondrop.

This is the Moondrop CEO's office:

View attachment 360624

He goes over this here, he says he is trying to appeal to otakus. It's an interesting video, they give a view of the whole office/factory, testing, building, their development process does seem very measurement driven. It's all actually very small scale, or at least was then, I think Moondrop has expanded quite significantly in the last few years. Leiyin Audio (the channel this is on) is Moondrop's distributor and the parent company of Shenzhen Audio. But it is worth noting, this was I think originally filmed for the Chinese market and they do explicitly ask him in this, why all the anime stuff, so it's an indication that this is something Moondrop is particularly known for in China, it's not like everyone else does it.

The use of anime in marketing stuff, or as mascots, is certainly higher in general in Asia and Japan specifically. But going all-in as a company identity for global sales, that's Moondrop.

s-l1600.jpg
View attachment 360635View attachment 360625
Very well researched. I appreciate your post!

OP
P

Phenoez8

I don't understand the desire to question other cultures art and media, or of making pedophilic assumptions. By the number western men traveling to Asia to do unmentionable things to people of young age who's place it is to question really?
As an Asian man who have spent decades in both eastern and western cultures, I am not at all offended by the discussion and such assumptions. In fact, I think it is important that @Somafunk and many other members in the thread are bringing the issue into view, because, unfortunately, many assumptions mentioned in the discussions are true.

Anime girls are used as loopholes to legitimize discussions on many gray area and illegal topics. There is no doubt, I repeat, no doubt that some anime work is related to pedophilic topics. I will not provide any examples here to support my argument here but they are plentiful on the internet with a simple search. Mysteriously, somehow, they are viewed as ok in anime form and treated as equal to other adult contents.

In addition, anime girls are used to legitimize Japanese militarism. For example, Kantai Collection is a series of manga, novel and games that directly portrait Imperial Japanese warships as lovable anime girls. How can such things pass public inspection and be viewed as "culture"? Imagine Germany doing the same thing to the Nazi armed forces, what type of type of public reaction would they get? I'm sure it wouldn't be the same. Regulations around Japanese anime topics need immediate attention and rework.

I am not against Anime in general. In fact, I watched many anime growing up, and I am big a fan of the Gundam series. Anime, as an artistic style, can be used to create beautiful products. This Moondorp box, for example, I think it's modest and appropriate for the headphone product.

Don't let the culture barrier also be a barrier to correct what feels wrong. And definitely don't glorify any culture more than others.

markanini

Major Contributor
As an Asian man who have spent decades in both eastern and western cultures, I am not at all offended by the discussion and such assumptions. In fact, I think it is important that @Somafunk and many other members in the thread are bringing the issue into view, because, unfortunately, many assumptions mentioned in the discussions are true.

Anime girls are used as loopholes to legitimize discussions on many gray area and illegal topics. There is no doubt, I repeat, no doubt that some anime work is related to pedophilic topics. I will not provide any examples here to support my argument here but they are plentiful on the internet with a simple search. Mysteriously, somehow, they are viewed as ok in anime form and treated as equal to other adult contents.

In addition, anime girls are used to legitimize Japanese militarism. For example, Kantai Collection is a series of manga, novel and games that directly portrait Imperial Japanese warships as lovable anime girls. How can such things pass public inspection and be viewed as "culture"? Imagine Germany doing the same thing to the Nazi armed forces, what type of type of public reaction would they get? I'm sure it wouldn't be the same. Regulations around Japanese anime topics need immediate attention and rework.

I am not against Anime in general. In fact, I watched many anime growing up, and I am big a fan of the Gundam series. Anime, as an artistic style, can be used to create beautiful products. This Moondorp box, for example, I think it's modest and appropriate for the headphone product.

Don't let the culture barrier also be a barrier to correct what feels wrong. And definitely don't glorify any culture more than others.
There's no way that's the intention of the box art for these IEMs, that would be akin to asking people to dislike your product.

I simply wouldn't be proud of making generalizations of others culture before giving equal scrutiny to my own culture. This is nothing like the fear of causing offence. I can likewise give examples of overt sexualization of minors in Western media.

Cleary nobody here wants to deny anything bad that does happen, but displacement and false positives turning into generalizations won't help anyone, it just cheapens a serious subject which is beyond the scope of these audio products.

Last edited:

mc.god

At least they disguise well...

IMG20240402010724.jpg

IMG20240402011002.jpg

Last edited:

mc.god

InfiniteJester

Although I'm all in for the critique of culture, I defy the assumptions from where most of that critique seem to emerge.

First, it is hard to ignore the lack of semantical resolution when terms like pedophilia are thrown around, without distinguishing it from hebephilia and ephebophilia.

While the first one is aberrant in a biological sense and has rarely been accepted by Western cultures, with only Talmud, as far as I remember, openly condoning and promoting it in the West.

Kethubot 11b

An adult man who engaged in intercourse with a minor girl less than three years old has done nothing, as intercourse with a girl less than three years old is tantamount to poking a finger into the eye.

(It is somewhat shocking that Talmud, which deals with moral imperatives that impact the lives of humans beings, is never under such scrutiny as anime, which deals with fictional characters. I suspect that anti-Asian racism is what primarily motivates the attacks towards the aesthetic principles of anime).

There is no biological or historical support for the condemnation of hebephilia or ephebophilia. They are regarded as normal biological impulses from healthy human beings, and the only limitations are of moral and legal origin, as many things are: part of the social contract.

1000062884.jpg

As the latent impulses for hebephiliac stimulus seem to be biologically coded, I argue that if we, in fact, condemn acting on said impulses, giving them a scape valve (id est, in the form of drawings) that hurts no human being is less disruptive and more civilized than trying to completely suppress them.

You can't reverse million of years of evolution, where menstruation determined the begining of the reproductive practices, not only in humans, but in mammals, as anybody with pets knows, in mere decades. Baldwin effect (coding culture into genes) takes fifty generations to work. Less than 50 generations ago, hebephilia and ephebophilia were still common. Less so inside the Hajnal line, habitants from inside of it, I concede, may indeed have a jumpstart.

Learning some history would show you how young people used to marry and to give birth to children in places like Greece, Rome, Spain and even the USA (have you ever taken a look at the biography of the acclaimed Usanian writer Edgar Allan Poe?).

Thus. I find some positions uninformed in terminology, biology and history; while also horribly hypocritical in two regards: the focus of their critique on the least worrisome manifestations of what they perceive as an issue, and their reluctance to accept solutions that, in fact, help their cause by providing a surrogated activity that causes no harm to the people they say they want to protect.

From my point of view, the arbitrary selection of an age is not a good way to measure the emotional and intellectual maturity of someone. Everyone grows at its own pace, some people would be unprepared for sex at 21 and others would be ready at 16 (which is the legal age of consent in Spain [it was, in fact, 13 when I was young], which is where I live, so I'm not advocating for anything illegal).

The issue is very complex. But virtue signaling and passing judgement is easy for everyone to do.

Last edited:
Top Bottom