• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So... any alternative who in your experience doesn't suffer from this ?
My understanding is that EMI interference with dongles is a region specific/ bandwidth/ frequency issue. I have had plenty of dongles including Meizu and Tempotec Sonata HD and the EMI issues only happen when I move from a strong 4g signal to 3G or less (my local supermarket for eg). Which to me means anyone else's answer isnt much of a predictor for what you will experience. I'm in UK if that helps.

lordhumungous

My understanding is that EMI interference with dongles is a region specific/ bandwidth/ frequency issue. I have had plenty of dongles including Meizu and Tempotec Sonata HD and the EMI issues only happen when I move from a strong 4g signal to 3G or less (my local supermarket for eg). Which to me means anyone else's answer isnt much of a predictor for what you will experience. I'm in UK if that helps.
Im in the states and it happens in some places in my house , the huge , etc. On a plane too.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How quickly does it drain the battery?

After some more usage, I find the volume of the Apple dongle does seem to be somewhat inadequate at times and if I compare it with my old phone's headphone output (Galaxy s10e) that one seems to sound better, but it's hard to say if it's just loudness (although definitely not maxed out like I have to do with the dongle in some cases).
I have never had any EMI problems with my Hidizz. Of course, Apple's dongle has a lower output level compared to Hidisz. This is one of the reasons why Hidisz drains the battery in the phone faster. But if you feel that you can not play as loud as you prefer with Apple's dongle, I think you should seriuosly consider whether the volume you are listening to is safe or if you risk hearing damage in the long run. I have a hard time imagining that the IEM you have is so difficult to drive that volume should be a problem. And that you get to play with the volume close to the max, as you say, is an advantage because the volume is regulated digitally. With my Hidisz, I use what anbit simplified is a resistor between the dongle and the headphones - precisely because the volume will otherwise be too high.

lordhumungous

I have found that using different cables can reduce the emi interference . The lightning cable that Hidisz sells is plain bad . The interference can be so bad that the music will stop . Don’t buy that one.

L5730

I already checked using RME BFProFs inputs 3+4. The difference was 6 dB @ 1 M ohm input impedance, unless I messed up and pressed a volume button in between (unlikely).

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you can wait something like a week, I can check, if nobody does before.

That would be great. I help out a lot on r/headphoneadvice on Reddit. And in recommending the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and Hidisz S8, it's hard to know whether or not someone might need to trick it into high gain with some lower impedance headphones.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That would be great. I help out a lot on r/headphoneadvice on Reddit. And in recommending the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro and Hidisz S8, it's hard to know whether or not someone might need to trick it into high gain with some lower impedance headphones.
See post above yours.

0RF30

I may be a bit of help here : not suited for anything over 150 ohms if you (moderate to heavy) bass shelf EQ it. Planars needing EQ, hard no. I think (emphasis on "think") it distort at the last physical volume step, so I keep it at the penult... (f.ck, is this a thing in English ?) - the step before. I use a TRRS to TRS 3.5 adapter to force high gain. Usefull with tricky 560s (tricky as it does not commute high gain by itself). High gain feel (emphasis on "feel") less precise than low gain. Still one of the best investment I made (S8) despite the drawbacks (volume, gain, etc.). Not the blackest background, not he most detailed, not he better latteral soundstage, not the deepest, but the most consistent on everything. I'm musician, nothing feels wrong on it. And f.cking good transients. None of the dongles I own beats it in that domain. Perfect match with EQed AKG 371. You get a killer combo for a reasonably decent amount of monney. Thanks ASR ;)

[EDIT] If you're not happy with @L5730 answer (why should you ?), let me know.

Last edited:

L5730

I may be a bit of help here : not suited for anything over 150 ohms if you (moderate to heavy) bass shelf EQ it. Planars needing EQ, hard no. I think (emphasis on "think") it distort at the last physical volume step, so I keep it at the penult... (f.ck, is this a thing in english ?) - the step before. I use a TRRS to TRS 3.5 adapter to force high gain. Usefull with tricky 560s (tricky as it does not commute high gain by itself). High gain feel (emphasis on "feel") less precise than low gain. Still one of the best investment I made (S8) despite the drawbacks (volume, gain, etc.). Not the blackest background, not he most detailed, not he better latteral soundstage, not the deepest, but the most consistent on everything. I'm musician, nothing feels wrong on it. And f.cking good transients. None of the dongles I own beats it in that domain. Perfect match with EQed AKG 371. You get a killer combo for a reasonably decent amount of monney. Thanks ASR ;)
"Penultimate" is a word in English: Means next to last. You are quite correct!

To me, I hear no obvious differences between Tempotec SHDPro and RME Babyface ProFS 3.5mm output. That said, not the most resolving headphones (Takstar Pro 82 v1) and a slow switch unplugging. Perfectly adequate to turn some fairly efficient headphones into a USB set to provide a way for EqAPO custom profile(s) via it's own USB DAC/amp. The S8 is too spendy IMHO.

0RF30

"Penultimate" is a word in English: Means next to last. You are quite correct!

To me, I hear no obvious differences between Tempotec SHDPro and RME Babyface ProFS 3.5mm output. That said, not the most resolving headphones (Takstar Pro 82 v1) and a slow switch unplugging. Perfectly adequate to turn some fairly efficient headphones into a USB set to provide a way for EqAPO custom profile(s) via it's own USB DAC/amp. The S8 is too spendy IMHO.
I'm not using it very much anymore, but still... If you have a better deal, please, share (and please, don't come with apple products ;) )

[EDIT] I may have misunderstood you. We may be on the same page.

Last edited:

L5730

Hahaha, yeah, if in the US then Apple dongle has it's merits. If in the EU, it's much less of a viable product, even if it is dirt cheap.
The Tempotec SHDPro 'equivalent' to the HIDIZS S8 was priced attractively and so I bought one of those. Serves it's purpose at that price, for sure, but not much more. There is a point where one should save up their funds a little longer and buy something or two somethings to deliver much more power for a variety of HP. Tempotec/HIDIZS and other dongle DACs are a little too small for a desktop DAC to interface with a Topping, for example, HP amp. I'd rather a neater larger enclosure with full sized USB connectors and unbalanced RCA or balanced 6.35mm/XLR connectors.

Saying all that, now both Topping D10 units aren't being employed here. The family just use their Linux notebook to play radio or fb2k long playlist via the internal 3.5mm TRRS Realtek 'jobbie' (see Scottish term :p ) and I have a balanced connection via BFProFS to active monitors which significantly reduces the ground loop noise I discovered with the unbalanced USB DAC.

0RF30

I very much agree with all of this.

[EDIT] With that being said, I'm not using very much desktop DAC/AMP at home, I like browsing my UPNP library everywhere with my phone in the pocket since we have decent dongles to do the job.

[EDIT 2] I'm not missing much with S8, but I am with S9 and S9 Pro, even if they do some things better. Not speaking about E1DA or LP products.... All of them are much more expensive.

[EDIT 3] I'm very partial with Apple procucts, it's a no go for me.

Last edited:

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I very much agree with all of this.

[EDIT] With that being said, I'm not using very much desktop DAC/AMP at home, I like browsing my UPNP library everywhere with my phone in the pocket since we have decent dongles to do the job.

[EDIT 2] I'm not missing much with S8, but I am with S9 and S9 Pro, even if they do some things better. Not speaking about E1DA or LP products.... All of them are much more expensive.

[EDIT 3] I'm very partial with Apple procucts, it's a no go for me.
The E1DA 9038 is $99. Isn't it?

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I already checked using RME BFProFs inputs 3+4. The difference was 6 dB @ 1 M ohm input impedance, unless I messed up and pressed a volume button in between (unlikely).

Sorry I missed your post earlier. That's very helpful. Thanks!

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I may be a bit of help here : not suited for anything over 150 ohms if you (moderate to heavy) bass shelf EQ it. Planars needing EQ, hard no. I think (emphasis on "think") it distort at the last physical volume step, so I keep it at the penult... (f.ck, is this a thing in English ?) - the step before. I use a TRRS to TRS 3.5 adapter to force high gain. Usefull with tricky 560s (tricky as it does not commute high gain by itself). High gain feel (emphasis on "feel") less precise than low gain. Still one of the best investment I made (S8) despite the drawbacks (volume, gain, etc.). Not the blackest background, not he most detailed, not he better latteral soundstage, not the deepest, but the most consistent on everything. I'm musician, nothing feels wrong on it. And f.cking good transients. None of the dongles I own beats it in that domain. Perfect match with EQed AKG 371. You get a killer combo for a reasonably decent amount of monney. Thanks ASR ;)

[EDIT] If you're not happy with @L5730 answer (why should you ?), let me know.

I have the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro. I've tested it with many different headphones, planar magnetic and dynamic. I'm familiar with its performance. Just was never sure what the gain difference was. Because that's something hard to guess.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
So twice the price of Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, isn't it ? Ya gets what ya pay for.

Top Bottom