• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

brandall10

I just cannot use the S8 in a gym environment . Too much interference whether I use the apple camera connection kit or the 20 dollar cable Hidiz
sells.
Too many interruptions . It works fine in my office at home.

I even had it at a secluded area of the gym in the locker room and i could hear interference with no music playing near my iphone that i use.

It sounds great but i bought it for the gym. I guess ill just use the 9 dollar Apple dongle at the gym.

Haven't used this w/ my iPhone, but with some DACs in the past I got a fair bit of noise from the cellular modem. Turning that off solved the issue. Of course if you stream music w/ your cell connection that is a non-starter.

lordhumungous

Haven't used this w/ my iPhone, but with some DACs in the past I got a fair bit of noise from the cellular modem. Turning that off solved the issue. Of course if you stream music w/ your cell connection that is a non-starter.
Yeah i stream and i need cellular in case i have an important business issue.

0RF30

I just cannot use the S8 in a gym environment . Too much interference whether I use the apple camera connection kit or the 20 dollar cable Hidiz
sells.
Too many interruptions . It works fine in my office at home.

I even had it at a secluded area of the gym in the locker room and i could hear interference with no music playing near my iphone that i use.

It sounds great but i bought it for the gym. I guess ill just use the 9 dollar Apple dongle at the gym.

I never experienced any cellular data interference using S8 (Samsung and Xiaomi phones), unlike Hidizs S9 (AKM one). On the other hand, OEM cable is pure crap (micro cuts), replaced by DDhifi TC03, no problem since.

lordhumungous

I never experienced any cellular data interference using S8 (Samsung and Xiaomi phones), unlike Hidizs S9 (AKM one). On the other hand, OEM cable is pure crap (micro cuts), replaced by DDhifi TC03, no problem since.
I have found it is the 25 dollar braided cable that Hidisz sells . I swapped it out with a short usb c to a cable with camera connection kit and zero problems. I guess I should not have bought that cable.

dirk.earth

So after having to move to a smartphone that doesn't have a 3,5mm jack but USB-C only, I still want to be able to use both my Grado GR10e and Bose QC20 earbuds with the new phone (Samsung Galaxy S21).

I thought of buying just a USBC-3,5mm cable but then a DAC seems to make more sense. After reading some review the Hidizs S8 seems to be a good option (and locally available).

But to be honest with the Grado's (GR10 and PS500) being so easy to drive, in the past I have never been able to hear any meaningful audible differences between outputs. Either from Macbook pro, Samsung Galaxy phones or a very old desktop DAC. Do you think the Hidizs S8 will sound any better with these, or does it make just as much sense to go with a cheaper alternative?

On the other hand I'm also interested in the new Fiio BTR5 (2021), which also has BT connectivity which might come in handy on the go. Can't find any reviews on it here though. Does anyone have some wisdom on basis of the above?

Jabinho

I think the best way to improve your headphone sound is to use heavy EQ to get rid of that big 2k hump.
Grado sound is limited to the mid frequencies so really the best way is to buy better headphones.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I thought of buying just a USBC-3,5mm cable but then a DAC seems to make more sense.
A Type-C to 3.5mm cable is a DAC. It has similar circuitry to something like the S8 inside, just with fixed wires instead of ports.
After reading some review the Hidizs S8 seems to be a good option (and locally available).
The Hidizs S8 is identical in performance to the often much cheaper Tempotec Sonata HD Pro, just with another shell around the PCB.
IMG_9311.JPG

Do you think the Hidizs S8 will sound any better with these, or does it make just as much sense to go with a cheaper alternative?
I think if you have never heard a difference in sound quality so far, then this DAC won't change that.
Can't find any reviews on it here though.
Fiio BTR5 measurements
BTR3
Qudelix 5K
ES100
Topping BC3
Does anyone have some wisdom on basis of the above?
For Bluetooth adapters, I think this thread is a good starting point for further research.
Just be aware that objective performance isn't really focused on over there, but neither is it a focus in this market segment overall.

dirk.earth

Hehe I actually love the Grado sound and don't need to 'change' it, one of the reasons I have been very happy with the Grado's is they sound just great out of almost any 3,5mm output (i.e. Macbook Pro, high-end smartphones). But now these have been taken off most phones so I just need a solution for that.

ScofieldKid

I have an S9 driving some HD600's, which I believe are 300ohm. No complaints.

Rottmannash

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hehe I actually love the Grado sound and don't need to 'change' it, one of the reasons I have been very happy with the Grado's is they sound just great out of almost any 3,5mm output (i.e. Macbook Pro, high-end smartphones). But now these have been taken off most phones so I just need a solution for that.
Try the E1DA 9038D or the Qudelux 5K - both sound great and the Q has LDAC BT and PEQ.

EchoChamber

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
So after having to move to a smartphone that doesn't have a 3,5mm jack but USB-C only, I still want to be able to use both my Grado GR10e and Bose QC20 earbuds with the new phone (Samsung Galaxy S21).

I thought of buying just a USBC-3,5mm cable but then a DAC seems to make more sense. After reading some review the Hidizs S8 seems to be a good option (and locally available).

But to be honest with the Grado's (GR10 and PS500) being so easy to drive, in the past I have never been able to hear any meaningful audible differences between outputs. Either from Macbook pro, Samsung Galaxy phones or a very old desktop DAC. Do you think the Hidizs S8 will sound any better with these, or does it make just as much sense to go with a cheaper alternative?

On the other hand I'm also interested in the new Fiio BTR5 (2021), which also has BT connectivity which might come in handy on the go. Can't find any reviews on it here though. Does anyone have some wisdom on basis of the above?
I have the S8 and it works great driving my Beyer Dynamic DT-177X. But the bulk of wires and adapters is very impractical. I find myself using my AirPod Pros much more often. I’m willing to loose some resolution (not much really) in favor of ergonomics and seamless integration with Apple’s echo system.

Last edited:

Palex

I have the S8 and they work great driving my Beyer Dynamic DT-177X. But the bulk of wires and adapters is very impractical. I find myself using my AirPod Pros much more often. I’m willing to loose some resolution (not much really) in favor of ergonomics and seamless integration with Apple’s echo system.
waiting for beats fit pro

dirk.earth

Just buy an Apple headphone USB-C dongle
That was the advice I was looking for :). Did just that, works out of the box with my Samsung Galaxy, volume is loud enough and sounds like Grado :).

I doubt I would be able to hear a difference with another DAC like the S8 (but am very curious to try now).

brandall10

That was the advice I was looking for :). Did just that, works out of the box with my Samsung Galaxy, volume is loud enough and sounds like Grado :).

I doubt I would be able to hear a difference with another DAC like the S8 (but am very curious to try now).

I hear what I perceive to be a nice improvement w/ my KSE1200s (vs. the apple dongle), but those are basically the most resolving earphones you can buy.

Mulder

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I had the Hidiz S8 and have the Hidiz S9, but I don´t use it with my phone. It drains the battery. On paper Hidiz is better, but in practise the Apple dongle is the solution I prefer.

Palex

"Everything new is well-forgotten old." I bought an old iPhone SE (1st generation) and that's it! All problems with external DACs have been solved). If you do not use streaming services - iPod nano 6 (24/48).

dirk.earth

I had the Hidiz S8 and have the Hidiz S9, but I don´t use it with my phone. It drains the battery. On paper Hidiz is better, but in practise the Apple dongle is the solution I prefer.
How quickly does it drain the battery?

After some more usage, I find the volume of the Apple dongle does seem to be somewhat inadequate at times and if I compare it with my old phone's headphone output (Galaxy s10e) that one seems to sound better, but it's hard to say if it's just loudness (although definitely not maxed out like I have to do with the dongle in some cases).

lordhumungous

The biggest problem ive had with the S8 and S9 from Hidisz is terrible emi interference . Both of them have it so while they sound great when they don't have interference , I can't recommend to buy them.

Top Bottom