• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 243 86.5%

• Total voters

megapro17

I miss something or moondrop dawn pro for similar price (it's 10$ cheaper for me) is better? Because it can drive 4V in balanced when TANCHJIM Space is clipping?

Attachments

• 64d9d2f1ec479ec11ee47dd0_DAWNPRO_08.jpg
    64d9d2f1ec479ec11ee47dd0_DAWNPRO_08.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 45

mc.god

I miss something or moondrop dawn pro for similar price (it's 10$ cheaper for me) is better? Because it can drive 4V in balanced when TANCHJIM Space is clipping?
Dawn pro is surely a great device and generally even more that 10$ cheaper than Space, anyway consider 2 points:
  • measurements of the Dawn Pro are taken from manufacturer site, I personally have not seen independent measurements;
  • Space clipping experienced by Amir should be further investigated since measurements by L7audiolab didn't show that behavior: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/tanchjim-space/
That being said, I consider them on par, Space can go up to 768KHz while Dawn "only" to 384 KHz for what it matters (different usb bridge I suppose), Dawn Pro is cheaper so surely a better bang for bucks.

megapro17

Dawn pro is surely a great device and generally even more that 10$ cheaper than Space, anyway consider 2 points:
  • measurements of the Dawn Pro are taken from manufacturer site, I personally have not seen independent measurements;
  • Space clipping experienced by Amir should be further investigated since measurements by L7audiolab didn't show that behavior: https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/tanchjim-space/
That being said, I consider them on par, Space can go up to 768KHz while Dawn "only" to 384 KHz for what it matters (different usb bridge I suppose), Dawn Pro is cheaper so surely a better bang for bucks.
Oh, I didn't except to find the same device on both sites, it's usually one specific one on both
Thanks for answer, I'll get moondrop then

Ashimaru

Pressing both buttons on my unit cycles through filters. At each change the LED blinks. When it wraps around, it blinks twice. There are 5 filters in total. Below are their frequency and impulse responses. I named the filters f1, f2, ..., starting from the one with double blink.

Disclosure: the procedure (described below) may have some flaws I'm not aware of. The results look reasonable though, so there's that.

View attachment 355119
View attachment 355120
View attachment 355121

For frequency response I used SoX to generate one minute of white noise at 44.1 kHz sampling rate, -10 dBFS sample peak (-5.3 dBTP, -14.9 RMS).
I played it at full volume and recorded with ADI-2 Pro RS R BE at 384 kHz sampling rate. Ref Level was set to +13 dBu.

For impulse response I used SoX to generate two seconds of silence with a one-sample impulse in the middle at 44.1 kHz sampling rate, -2 dBFS sample peak.
I recorded it like above and then added 4.4 dB gain (that's the difference between DAC's max output and +13 dBu Ref Level).
i only have four filters?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_130328_TANCHJIM.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_130328_TANCHJIM.jpg
    41.7 KB · Views: 35

Ashimaru

i only have four filters?
Ah, the app is suck.
I equated the display in the app with @danadam measurements, and this is the order. With F1 not appearing in the app, so have to press both two buttons until they double blink to go to F1.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240408_132128_TANCHJIM.jpg
    Screenshot_20240408_132128_TANCHJIM.jpg
    46.1 KB · Views: 38
Last edited:

SNRenjoyer

So Im no filter expert. But in order to get sound most closely to the original would I choose:
1. A linear phase filter, so F3 or F5?
2. A filter with a quick fall off, so F2 or F3?
Leading to the conclusion to choose filter F3.
Im confused tho, what the F5 phase compensation means and if it is desirable to reduce artifacts in some way?
What is the objectively best filter? Or are there meaningful tradeoffs?

Ashimaru

So Im no filter expert. But in order to get sound most closely to the original would I choose:
1. A linear phase filter, so F3 or F5?
2. A filter with a quick fall off, so F2 or F3?
Leading to the conclusion to choose filter F3.
Im confused tho, what the F5 phase compensation means and if it is desirable to reduce artifacts in some way?
What is the objectively best filter? Or are there meaningful tradeoffs?
The linear phase is usually considered to be the one closest to the source.
and fast roll off has a good frequency response up to 20kHz (no slightly decrease at least until 20kHz) and down fast around 22kHz, so not allows some energy to escape into ultrasonic frequencies.
so in this case, fast roll off linear phase = F3 for me.
Some people also think the minimum phase is better. as long as you choose fast roll off, either minimum or linear phase, both will be fine. Besides, the difference isn't that noticeable. so select F2 (default) or F3. but if you ask me, I choose F3.

Last edited:

MusicMan77

Just got one of these. Been doing A/B tests w/ my Topping EX5 via the Truthear Zero w/ the Kinera Leyding cable upgrade via 4.4mm connector. Wow, does this little thing hold it's own. I hear no loss of dynamics, punch, or soundstage. It's a touch, TOUCH, less sweet in the midrange than the Topping, but it's more than satisfactory. I'm amazed that this level of quality can be had at this price point.

Emlin

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just got one of these. Been doing A/B tests w/ my Topping EX5 via the Truthear Zero w/ the Kinera Leyding cable upgrade via 4.4mm connector. Wow, does this little thing hold it's own. I hear no loss of dynamics, punch, or soundstage. It's a touch, TOUCH, less sweet in the midrange than the Topping, but it's more than satisfactory. I'm amazed that this level of quality can be had at this price point.
And your post is backed up by measurements or blind testing, I presume?

MusicMan77

And your post is backed up by measurements or blind testing, I presume?
Nope, no measurements. Just a subjective review from a guy that really likes what he's hearing from his gear.

Bow_Wazoo

The DAC sounds exactly as I imagined it would. Extremely transparent.
But the cable is very flimsy.
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap alternative?

20240423_163843.jpg

Yanec

The DAC sounds exactly as I imagined it would. Extremely transparent.
But the cable is very flimsy.
Does anyone know where I can get a cheap alternative?

View attachment 365446
These are usually cheap anyway, so better look for one that fits your requirements but has higher quality not lower price.

A poor cable can cause issues that affect the sound. It's a pity to introduce issues to such great dongle due to few bucks difference.

I personally use the Space with cables from other dongles, although its cable is technically very well made, just too stiff (from the dozen I have the Sonata BHD Pro and Shanling UA3 have the best cables, the E1DA 9038 has perhaps the most basic cable)

Last edited:

Yanec

The cable from AliExpress shown above is actually a very good option. No sound or other issues, robust but flexible. It is the cable that Tempotec provides with the Sonata BHD Pro. As seen in the photo below.

Here are some typical cables in the sub $100 dongle tier. The E1DA is not shown with it's original cable which is attached to the SaoMai HAA FEE on this photo.

1000081905.jpg
Kept the more expensive ones out of the group photo but my $299 FC6 has a cable that is just as basic.

For me personally the cables are all fine.

PS sorry for the inappropriate excitement of the Space cable... it seems it likes being photographed... :D

Last edited:

Bow_Wazoo

I don't think you need an specific OTG cable these days? An Amazon basics USB-C to USB-C works for me in connecting both an Android phone and a Macbook Air to a Fiio Q11.

Lightening to USB-C, however, is a pain in the arse.
Unfortunately, my cheap Amazon USB-C cable doesn't work.

Top Bottom