• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

TANCHJIM Space Portable Headphone Adapter Review

Rate this DAC & HP Amp

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 3 1.1%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 34 12.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 243 86.5%

• Total voters

Noamtasini

I'm really enjoying the quality of my Tanchjim Space, but it keeps shutting down when connected to my Samsung A71 while walking outdoors. I've checked that both port connections are tight and secure both on the phone /Tanchjim ends.
Extremely frustrating to have it happen several times on a walk.

Sak

I'm really enjoying the quality of my Tanchjim Space, but it keeps shutting down when connected to my Samsung A71 while walking outdoors. I've checked that both port connections are tight and secure both on the phone /Tanchjim ends.
Most likely, the issue is software-related. I had a similar problem with the Hiby player on Android. I switched to another one (Eddict Player), and the problem was resolved.
Device is excellent. I'm thrilled with it – small, powerful, with superb sound quality. If used for a prolonged period, it may get slightly warm, but it's not critical. In this regard, I like how the MOONDROP DAWN PRO is designed; it has ventilation holes in its casing. Unfortunately, there were no measurements for it.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish Tanchjim would release a "Space DSP", with the same great D/A hardware goodness, but preceded by a few bands of PEQ and decent app to set them. Now this would be a Qudelix 5k killer.

Noamtasini

Most likely, the issue is software-related. I had a similar problem with the Hiby player on Android. I switched to another one (Eddict Player), and the problem was resolved.
Device is excellent. I'm thrilled with it – small, powerful, with superb sound quality. If used for a prolonged period, it may get slightly warm, but it's not critical. In this regard, I like how the MOONDROP DAWN PRO is designed; it has ventilation holes in its casing. Unfortunately, there were no measurements for it.
I highly doubt it, as it happened on several players and Qobuz.

Last edited:

chuckt62

Editor
I wish Tanchjim would release a "Space DSP", with the same great D/A hardware goodness, but preceded by a few bands of PEQ and decent app to set them. Now this would be a Qudelix 5k killer.
If you’re on Android, you should try Wavelet.

mute-tiny

Hey everyone,
So I got myself a Tanchjim Space as my first foray into external dac/headphone amp. It's brilliant, incredible performance to value ratio. It's working perfectly on my macbook and Ipad, but I'm having trouble setting it up on my iPhone. I bought a FiiO LT-LT2 Lightning to Type C USB Cable, when I connect it all up, the iPhone recognizes the Space, but no audio is outputted through the 3.5mm output. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this or fix this?

Attachments

• IMG_3781.png
    IMG_3781.png
    687.4 KB · Views: 40

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hey everyone,
So I got myself a Tanchjim Space as my first foray into external dac/headphone amp. It's brilliant, incredible performance to value ratio. It's working perfectly on my macbook and Ipad, but I'm having trouble setting it up on my iPhone. I bought a FiiO LT-LT2 Lightning to Type C USB Cable, when I connect it all up, the iPhone recognizes the Space, but no audio is outputted through the 3.5mm output. Does anyone know how to troubleshoot this or fix this?
I’m afraid the Fiio LT-LT2 is the wrong cable… If I’m not mistaken, it is data-only, no power.

staticV3

Master Contributor
I’m afraid the Fiio LT-LT2 is the wrong cable… If I’m not mistaken, it is data-only, no power.
It's a data + power cable:
S772f899a98ef421086d0d57f26437968G.jpg

However, incompatibility with DACs on iOS is still somewhat expected, because DACs on iOS via Lightning is an utter mess.

Stach

I really love the sound quality of mine as well and am putting up with how touchy it is, as if I jiggle or bump it ever so slightly, my iphone stops playing and I have to press the play button again (the iPhone is fine for anything and everything else that I've plugged into it). Is this a known and/or fixable issue or do all of them do this?

danadam

Is the USB receiver chip asynchronous or isochronous?
Yes.
:)

It's not an "or" question. "Isochronous" is one of possible "transfer types" and all DACs use this transfer type. This transfer type can use one of three "synchronization types":
  • synchronous
  • adaptive
  • asynchronous
And yes, this DAC is using "asynchronous" synchronization type.

danadam

Pressing both buttons on my unit cycles through filters. At each change the LED blinks. When it wraps around, it blinks twice. There are 5 filters in total. Below are their frequency and impulse responses. I named the filters f1, f2, ..., starting from the one with double blink.

Disclosure: the procedure (described below) may have some flaws I'm not aware of. The results look reasonable though, so there's that.

fft.full.png

fft.zoom.png

ir.png

For frequency response I used SoX to generate one minute of white noise at 44.1 kHz sampling rate, -10 dBFS sample peak (-5.3 dBTP, -14.9 RMS).
I played it at full volume and recorded with ADI-2 Pro RS R BE at 384 kHz sampling rate. Ref Level was set to +13 dBu.

For impulse response I used SoX to generate two seconds of silence with a one-sample impulse in the middle at 44.1 kHz sampling rate, -2 dBFS sample peak.
I recorded it like above and then added 4.4 dB gain (that's the difference between DAC's max output and +13 dBu Ref Level).

chuckt62

Editor
I thought the little manual that came with mine said that pressing both buttons will toggle between hi/lo output levels.
I need to dig it out to see if there was more…

danadam

I thought the little manual that came with mine said that pressing both buttons will toggle between hi/lo output levels.
My manual says the same but it's not how it behaves.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My manual says the same but it's not how it behaves.
Think the original firmware had 2 button press selecting gain. Definitely did when I first got mine pretty near launch. The companion app was useless. But later firmware and app allows proper device control including gain selection so guessing they changed the function of the 2 button press.

EDIT- actually I just checked (I disabled my LED in the app )- a quick press of both toggles between gain settings - as is obvious by the output level. A longer press of both causes a gap in playback then resumes at the same level so I assume a change in filter is happening @danadam @chuckt62

Last edited:

danadam

a quick press of both toggles between gain settings - as is obvious by the output level. A longer press of both causes a gap in playback then resumes at the same level so I assume a change in filter is happening
Oh, I missed your message. Yes, I can confirm that.

Dunring

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just got one of these and update the firmware and the ASIO driver went in just fine. On a Hifiman HE5xx this thing has a lot more power than I expected. The Apple 3.5mm adapter will get these safely loud enough at max volume, but this really has much more on the 4.4mm connector. It sounds great too, measures better than the first few audio products I had years ago. I just had a 3ft USB cable for desktop use, and volume control is right there in the same spot.
Just need to get a an 8849 Tank phone with the 22,000ma battery and take headphones when I travel without worrying about draining the battery.

ShiZo

Forum Donor
Does anyone know how to change gain without the app?

Top Bottom