• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop May USB-C Headphones Review

Multicore

Major Contributor
The Waifu culture is a thing… One may or may not like it, but it’s only on the packaging—easy to discard.
What fascinates me is how come it is specific to boutique IEMs? We don't see this style associated with other product categories but we do with this one. How did that happen? It's just interesting.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The Waifu culture is a thing… One may or may not like it, but it’s only on the packaging—easy to discard.
When I first saw the post after logging in, I thought it was weird that I was facing an anime baseball card review, in the ASR homepage.:oops:
At first, I did not even notice the IEMs hanging on it.:facepalm:

CedarX

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What fascinates me is how come it is specific to boutique IEMs? We don't see this style associated with other product categories but we do with this one. How did that happen? It's just interesting.
It is indeed interesting… I’m not sure if it’s due to where these Companies come from*, or because of their typical target audience.
*EDIT: I mean their original products, not their country of origin (I have only respect and admiration…).

Not sure either if I’ll call Moondrop a “Boutique”. They may not be well known on ASR, but with Tanchjim, they were the first ones to introduce these DSP-enabled USB-C IEMs. Moondrop has a respectable line of audio products of, I believe, their own design.

Last edited:
OP
P

Phenoez8

Interesting questions. I did a quick search on Linsoul and Hifigo to get an idea on how many Chinese IEM brands use Waifu to advertise, and the result is surprising. Seems like the vast majority of brands do not use Waifu, yet the few who do leaves a strong impression. If you were the brand, what would you put on your box?
image_480.png

Multicore

Major Contributor
Interesting questions. I did a quick search on Linsoul and Hifigo to get an idea on how many Chinese IEM brands use Waifu to advertise, and the result is surprising. Seems like the vast majority of brands do not use Waifu, yet the few who do leaves a strong impression. If you were the brand, what would you put on your box?
View attachment 351825
Thank you for wrangling the data for us. A very ASR approach to the problem and a service to the community.

I will shut up now.

Jave

Could you zoom-in on the THD, please? From 0 to 0.2.

mc.god

View attachment 351825
You missed SeeAudio in the Waifu group, they even went a bit further with the Rinko, probably due to whom they are made in collab with...

seeaudio-x-z-review-rinko-1dd1planar-dual-driver-hybrid-iems-earphone-hifigo-965634_670x670.jpg
seeaudio-x-z-review-rinko-1dd1planar-dual-driver-hybrid-iems-earphone-hifigo-866286_670x670.jpg

https://hifigo.com/collections/see-audio/products/seeaudio-x-z-review-rinko

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It is indeed interesting… I’m not sure if it’s due to where these Companies come from*, or because of their typical target audience.
*EDIT: I mean their original products, not their country of origin (I have only respect and admiration…).

Not sure either if I’ll call Moondrop a “Boutique”. They may not be well known on ASR, but with Tanchjim, they were the first ones to introduce these DSP-enabled USB-C IEMs. Moondrop has a respectable line of audio products of, I believe, their own design.
I believe the Moondrop Starfield was a smash hit and put them on the map.

Acerun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought them awhile back and I have to say that on standard it's pretty compelling sound. It grabbed my attention right away.

oscar_dziki

@Phenoez8 I am super grateful you measured this set. I bought it myself based on measurements of the Free DSP and the measurements posted by the manufacturer. Your review misses the fact, that this gear is generating electronic noise when there is no sound on an Android device. Do you think you can measure it? Or maybe your set isn't generating it? Mine sure does. Tested with Samsung S23.

oscar_dziki

The fit is fantastic, definitely more comfortable than most other inears I’ve used.
And the earpiece is shallow. You can put your head on a pillow and it will be comfortable. The only problem with the practicality of this set is that because of the remote control, you can't tighten the cord tightly around your neck. Therefore, these headphones are not suitable for running.
may.jpg

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
@Phenoez8 I am super grateful you measured this set. I bought it myself based on measurements of the Free DSP and the measurements posted by the manufacturer. Your review misses the fact, that this gear is generating electronic noise when there is no sound on an Android device. Do you think you can measure it? Or maybe your set isn't generating it? Mine sure does. Tested with Samsung S23.
I observed the same when I got mine. Think mostly when using the Moondrop app. I use uapp for playback and once uapp takes control of the dac it's silent.

capslock

So what is the impact of the nonlinearity at -55 dB? There is no kink at all in the THD+N vs. power graph right above where I would have expected to see an effect.

OP
P

Phenoez8

Hello. Thank you for your comment. I primarily used the Moondrop May with my MacBook, iPad, and windows computer and did not find noise to be an issue. After reading your comment, I tracked down a Samsung galaxy phone to test and I can indeed confirm that it consistently generates noise when no sound is playing or playing silence (play audio file when volume is turned to 0). This noise is not noticeable when music is playing. Based on my experience and how it behaves on other devices, I think this can be an Android/Qualcomm specific problem. I will continue to test devices on more platforms in the future.

dzerig

The half db discontinuity ... can you hear that at all? It would seem to be at the edge of audibility if you playing steady state tones right there, you might hear it.

Top Bottom