• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

IndigoCiel

I cant answer your question directly, but maybe I can in a round about way... You know you can upgrade to Windows 8, and/or Windows 10, for free?
Just click "I don't have a key" when you are upgrading.
Windows 7 would scare me as its no longer supported by Microsoft (unless youre running an enterprise license, in which case I think you've got another couple months before end-of-life).
If you stick with Win 7, maybe try to install the drivers in compatibility mode?
I will stick with Win 7 for now. Will try your suggestion and more trial error with the driver. thanks

IndigoCiel

some posts said that windows 7 need to install 1st and 2nd driver from the official website to works. But there is only setup for aiso inside. Is that it or the win 7 driver is deleted because win 7 already discountinued?

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tomorrow or Sunday, I'll fire up the old Win7Pro Atom netbook and see if I can get the drivers installed.
I'd use a VirtualMachine but USB pass-through might be a bit sketchy with audio devices. Worked fine with a scanner though.

IndigoCiel

Tomorrow or Sunday, I'll fire up the old Win7Pro Atom netbook and see if I can get the drivers installed.
I'd use a VirtualMachine but USB pass-through might be a bit sketchy with audio devices. Worked fine with a scanner though.
thanks. Really appreciate it

Mulder

Forum Donor
That USB-C able looks like I am going to break it if I stare at it too long! Easy to find more robust feeling replacements though, for pennies.
Mine lightning cable fell apart after two days. It may be easy to find a replacement for a USB cable, but it's harder when it comes to Lightning cables. I would advise iPhone users against buying this DAC without a replacement cable at hand. The cables that come with it are rubbish.

L5730

Mine lightning cable fell apart after two days. It may be easy to find a replacement for a USB cable, but it's harder when it comes to Lightning cables. I would advise iPhone users against buying this without a replacement cable. The cables that come with it are rubbish.
Interesting. I'd contact the seller. If you bought it on AE from Tempotec store, I've read that they are pretty decent and will probably send you a replacement cable.

The included uUSB - USB-C cable worked, but I have put it back in the box, and am using an angled uUSB cable I got from Kenable in UK, seems much sturdier. The device is held in placed with blue tac on the corner of the PC case, so isn't moving around much. I doubt I'll have cable issues.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine lightning cable fell apart after two days. It may be easy to find a replacement for a USB cable, but it's harder when it comes to Lightning cables. I would advise iPhone users against buying this DAC without a replacement cable at hand. The cables that come with it are rubbish.

Yeah, in fairness , for mobile use I far prefer the all in one dongle designs like the Meizu- far more like an extension to the HP cable than this thumbdrive and cable style which just dont get on well with pocketses.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Interesting. I'd contact the seller. If you bought it on AE from Tempotec store, I've read that they are pretty decent and will probably send you a replacement cable .
I will get an replacement cable. I have nothing to complain about in that regard. The seller i s OK. But if possible i would like to have a sturdier cable. The sound of the DAC is after all stellar. But I don´t know where to fins a replacement wchich will work with an iPhone.

Mulder

Forum Donor
Yeah, in fairness , for mobile use I far prefer the all in one dongle designs like the Meizu- far more like an extension to the HP cable than this thumbdrive and cable style which just dont get on well with pocketses.
It seems to me the Maizu dongle is USB only. There is no iPhone lightning dongle? Acctually. When I move around I prefer noise canceling bluetooth headphones. I think noise canceling is more important to sound than absolute stellar sound. I use the external DAC indoors only - or in quiet environments - and with better headphones.

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor
By the way. I find it interesting that I can not access the pages of Meizus or other Chinese manufacturers when I use tracking protection, ad blockers and the like.

Aldo

[QUOTE = "Mulder, post: 529059, member: 19515"] Le câble de la foudre de la mine est tombé en morceaux après deux jours. Il peut être facile de trouver un câble de remplacement pour un câble USB, mais c'est plus difficile lorsqu'il s'agit de câbles Lightning. Je déconseillerais aux utilisateurs d'iPhone acheter ce DAC sans câble de remplacement à portée de main. Les câbles qui l'accompagnent sont des déchets. [/ CITATION]

Le mien s'est cassé le premier jour d'utilisation en extérieur !!!
Quelqu'un sait-il où je pourrais en acheter un de bonne qualité? !!
Sinon ce DaC est inutilisable ...

Last edited:

Mulder

Forum Donor
[QUOTE = "Mulder, post: 529059, member: 19515"]
Quelqu'un sait-il où je pourrais en acheter un de bonne qualité? !!
Sinon ce DaC est inutilisable ...
It depends. If you need a USB-C to USB micro for example, then it isn´t hard to find a peplacement. But in you need a Apple Lightning it may be harder. Anyone who knows where to find a Lightning replacement?

Ça dépend. Si vous avez besoin d'un micro USB-C vers USB par exemple, il n'est pas difficile de trouver un remplacement. Mais si vous avez besoin d'un Apple Lightning, cela peut être plus difficile. Quelqu'un qui sait où trouver un remplaçant Lightning?

L5730

Yes I need a lightning ...
the problème is here !!
I’m looking for one but it’s impossible

From Tempotec themselves:
https://www.tempotec.net/products/t...-cant-work-with-sonata-hd-pro-android-version
Although at that price, you'd be better off just buying another Sonata HD Pro on AliExpress and get the cable bundled with it.

Exactly the same product, but from "Tempotec Official Store" on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/400...68#1000022185#1000066058#0_668#3468#15615#633

What makes me wonder is that consistent wording "for Sonata HD PRO (iOS version), can't work with Sonata HD PRO (Android version)". Either they just want people to buy two of the same product, or there really is a little difference between the for Android and for iOS 'versions'. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it's a simple firmware change, such as changing 0 to a 1, something in the Savitech USB controller chip.

Sorry if posting direct links to products is a no no. I've no affiliation with the seller, just pointing out where to find a replacement cable.

Aldo

Thanks a lot !
I’m afraid by the quality for its price...
I'm going to think about it and keep looking (a little bit more...) for an equivalent product, I hope of better quality ...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
From Tempotec themselves:
https://www.tempotec.net/products/t...-cant-work-with-sonata-hd-pro-android-version
Although at that price, you'd be better off just buying another Sonata HD Pro on AliExpress and get the cable bundled with it.

Exactly the same product, but from "Tempotec Official Store" on AliExpress:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4001337658490.html?spm=a2g0o.detail.1000013.10.4e871e3cKJkd8c&gps-id=pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller&scm=1007.13339.169870.0&scm_id=1007.13339.169870.0&scm-url=1007.13339.169870.0&pvid=2f62b9c3-ec9d-46ec-aa5e-d35f09101127&_t=gps-id:pcDetailBottomMoreThisSeller,scm-url:1007.13339.169870.0,pvid:2f62b9c3-ec9d-46ec-aa5e-d35f09101127,tpp_buckets:668#0#131923#7_668#808#3772#995_668#888#3325#6_668#2846#8107#3_668#2717#7559#81_668#1000022185#1000066058#0_668#3468#15615#633

What makes me wonder is that consistent wording "for Sonata HD PRO (iOS version), can't work with Sonata HD PRO (Android version)". Either they just want people to buy two of the same product, or there really is a little difference between the for Android and for iOS 'versions'. I wouldn't be at all surprised to find that it's a simple firmware change, such as changing 0 to a 1, something in the Savitech USB controller chip.

Sorry if posting direct links to products is a no no. I've no affiliation with the seller, just pointing out where to find a replacement cable.

For anyone that wants to do some "science"- I have a spare lightning to micro USB cable from the HD Pro ( i bought that version by mistake, it also came with the USB C cable so I'm good)- if you have the android version of the DAC and a spare iOS device you are welcome to see if it works.

holicst

Hi, is there anybody using this with a Hifiman Ananda? Does it drive it well?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi, is there anybody using this with a Hifiman Ananda? Does it drive it well?
Since it has 2Vrms output it can drive it "decently". With material that has less volume like classical, you might run into trouble but otherwise it should be fine.

jameswilson

I might have said it in here before... Woo Audio has the best portable (80cm, 90* connectors) "USB C to C" and "USB C to lightning" cables on the market. I would say "in my opinion", but I kinda believe it to be fact.

A little pricey @ $25 for the USB C to C. And the Apple lightning is $50... Ouch. Another instance where I'm glad to be a 100% Android user!

DosThou

I might have said it in here before... Woo Audio has the best portable (80cm, 90* connectors) "USB C to C" and "USB C to lightning" cables on the market. I would say "in my opinion", but I kinda believe it to be fact.

A little pricey @ $25 for the USB C to C. And the Apple lightning is $50... Ouch. Another instance where I'm glad to be a 100% Android user!
This thing has a Micro USB jack though, you won't be able to use that $25 cable for it.

Top Bottom