• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIDIZS S8 USB-C Headphone Adapter Review

rainboweyes

Good Morning.

It is my first post, I send a greeting to all the members of this forum.

I wanted to know if TempoTec Sonata Hd Pro for Android works well with Poweramp music player.

Has anyone compared the Sabaj Da2 to this Tempotec Sonata Hd Pro?

A greeting.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I was toying with getting a Sabaj Da3 before, but never did. The Da2 wasn't something I wanted to try, for some reason, I can't remember. So I can't make a comparison, sorry.

Sabaj Da2 (SMSL Idea, same thing):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dea-and-audioquest-dragonfly-black-dacs.2397/
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html

It's 2x the price of Tempotec SHDPro (comparing Amazon UK vs. AliExpress).
Sabaj does DSD512/PCM 768kHz (or at least is advertised to do that), Tempotec is limited to DSD256/PCM 384kHz, but I doubt anyone truly cares.
~60mW into 32 ohm with Tempotec SHDPro, ~30mW into 32 ohm with Sabaj Da2 (0.1% THD). More power and less distortion = Tempotec is louder with lower impedance headphones.

2v RMS output for each.
Less than 1 ohm output impedance for both, so shouldn't affect the tonality of low impedance headphones.

From Archimago:
"With an output impedance of ~0.5-ohms and good output voltage of ~2Vrms into a high impedance load, volumes achieved with the headphones I tried were certainly good enough for my use ranging from "loud" to "very loud" (remember, don't go deaf!). However, the ESS 9018Q2C's integrated amplifier section is rated at 49mW into a 32-ohm load, THD 0.1%. This means that if you have low impedance and low sensitivity headphones, there might not be enough current to drive these demanding loads. Within reason, this should not be a problem since this DAC is meant for mobile applications."

I wouldn't bother with the SMSL Idea/Sabaj Da2 when the Tempotec is cheaper and better. Maybe I miss something.

Last edited:

rainboweyes

I was toying with getting a Sabaj Da3 before, but never did. The Da2 wasn't something I wanted to try, for some reason, I can't remember. So I can't make a comparison, sorry.

Sabaj Da2 (SMSL Idea, same thing):
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dea-and-audioquest-dragonfly-black-dacs.2397/
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/05/measurements-smsl-idea-usb-dac.html

It's 2x the price of Tempotec SHDPro (comparing Amazon UK vs. AliExpress).
Sabaj does DSD512/PCM 768kHz (or at least is advertised to do that), Tempotec is limited to DSD256/PCM 384kHz, but I doubt anyone truly cares.
~60mW into 32 ohm with Tempotec SHDPro, ~30mW into 32 ohm with Sabaj Da2 (0.1% THD). More power and less distortion = Tempotec is louder with lower impedance headphones.

2v RMS output for each.
Less than 1 ohm output impedance for both, so shouldn't affect

From Archimago:
"With an output impedance of ~0.5-ohms and good output voltage of ~2Vrms into a high impedance load, volumes achieved with the headphones I tried were certainly good enough for my use ranging from "loud" to "very loud" (remember, don't go deaf!). However, the ESS 9018Q2C's integrated amplifier section is rated at 49mW into a 32-ohm load, THD 0.1%. This means that if you have low impedance and low sensitivity headphones, there might not be enough current to drive these demanding loads. Within reason, this should not be a problem since this DAC is meant for mobile applications."

I wouldn't bother with the SMSL Idea/Sabaj Da2 when the Tempotec is cheaper and better. Maybe I miss something.
Thank you very much for your answer.

I forgot to say that I have the Sabaj Da2, with which I am very happy, and my question was if someone has compared them to see if this Tempotec Sonata HdPro is worth buying, if it substantially improves the sound of the Sabaj Da2.

A greeting.

L5730

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Oh if you have the Sabaj Da2, then I don't see any reason to 'upgrade' to the Tempotec, other than if you still wanted a small portable device and found that the Sabaj simply wasn't loud enough. However I'd try and get an idea of just how much louder in real terms the Tempotec is from the Sabaj.

In terms of sonic difference, I doubt that there is much if any perceived difference when comparing level matched.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Good Morning.

It is my first post, I send a greeting to all the members of this forum.

I wanted to know if TempoTec Sonata Hd Pro for Android works well with Poweramp music player.

Has anyone compared the Sabaj Da2 to this Tempotec Sonata Hd Pro?

A greeting.

I use my Sonata HD Pro with Poweramp on Samsung S9 plus. Works great.

blse59

It looks like someone said the Sonata HD Pro/Hidizs S8 has a SINAD of ~100 with low impedence phones and a higher SINAD with a higher load. Is this true? Or maybe I misunderstood.

argotti

Hello all, I am considering buying one of these, looking to use them with a Chromebook, has anyone tried this?

charleski

Major Contributor
It looks like someone said the Sonata HD Pro/Hidizs S8 has a SINAD of ~100 with low impedence phones and a higher SINAD with a higher load. Is this true? Or maybe I misunderstood.
You can look at the output graphs in the first post.
Distortion + noise at max power into 300ohms = -100.4dB.
Distortion + noise at max power into 33ohms = -87.6dB.
So yes, it does better with a higher load. Personally I use a separate headphone amp which has a much higher input impedance so the output buffer doesn’t have to deliver much current, but that’s in my home system.

BaRanchik

Can it be used as a DAC only / decent preamp if I connect it to the RCA in of my Schiit Heresy?

extenso

Forum Donor
I still struggle with clicks and pops after using the device for a few weeks. It affects any sound starting or stopping, from e-mail alerts to videos on YouTube. The PC belongs to my employer, so there are restrictions on what I can tweak or install. The driver is from Microsoft, version 10.0.19041.1. Any suggestions?

Veri

Master Contributor
I still struggle with clicks and pops after using the device for a few weeks. It affects any sound starting or stopping, from e-mail alerts to videos on YouTube. The PC belongs to my employer, so there are restrictions on what I can tweak or install. The driver is from Microsoft, version 10.0.19041.1. Any suggestions?
That's weird :( having only very rare pops on OSX myself, also employer's laptop.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Now here is an odd one, it's probably been covered somewhere. I've used this flawlessly with android using UAPP.

I just used without UAPP (Spotify) and had lots of in music clicks and stutters. Is this normal? (or, should I say, common. It clearly isn't normal)

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

If you can, install the Sonata HD (not Sonata HD Pro) driver listed on this page http://www.tempotec.com.cn/en/3-Support/index.htm .

That seems to have helped some people.

arcturus

For people having BSOD problems with the driver on Windows, I contacted Hidizs about this, as I was getting a BSOD as soon as I plugged in the device. They sent me a new firmware, which fixed the issue. It also fixed the issue with the device volume not working on Windows Vista (may have been a problem on other Windows versions also, did not test those).

I do not see it on the Tempotec website yet, but I imagine it will be there soon. In the meantime I will attach it here.

So this firmware fixes:
1) BSOD
2) Volume Control (on some Windows versions)

Attachments

• S8_firmware_bsod_volume_fix.zip
    176.8 KB · Views: 165

leafygreen

Wondering if anyone could could help me understand if the Tempotec Sonata HD Pro/Hidizs S8 would be compatible with Drop Senheiser HD6XX headphones, which I'm thinking of buying?? I.e. without an amp . i think the OP suggests that listening on the Hifiman 400s was his preference. But from what I can see the Hifimans don't seem generally as good as the HD6XX, i.e. less frequency range. Some posts here suggest the HD6XX are ok for this DAC, if I'm understanding correctly, but just not as loud?? I don't need or usually like very loud volumes, but I wouldn't want to miss out on sound quality. Would be great to hear any views..

Top Bottom