• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help deciding on active floorstanders

teapea

I didn't really think through the design with my new extension when it came to audio but did have the foresight to put a projector in. As it now stands, all my AV is at the back of the room in a nice cupboard tucked away, and the projector in the ceiling and everything is very "wife friendly". However of course, the sound is terrible as it comes out the tiny tinny speaker in the projector. To rectify this, I've bought a Bluetooth Low Latency soundbar which is ok ish, but honestly, as we don't have a TV unit, it just sits on the floor, or on end, or the dog uses it as a toy, so we essentially don't use it much. Music in the room is courtesy of a Google Home which needless to say is OK for the radio while reading a paper with breakfast but weak for anything else - and was always my plan to put something half decent in this room stereo wise.

Anyway, enough of the life story! We have 2 sockets either side of the wall we project on - and perfect location for some active speakers. I like floorstanders not bookshelves, 1 because we don't have a shelf and 2 because I actually like both the look as well as (generally) getting a little lower and don't require a sub. (In the other room I run a 5.1 system most of the time, and while occasionally for films a sub might be useful, I don't actually turn the sub on much at all when listening to music). A Sub is also 1 more box to find floor space for, and if a speaker is on a stand, might as well use that real estate for more speaker!?

So, inputs at the back. I want a nice clean minimal "wife friendly" setup and so WiSA based hub systems like Buchardt A700 are perfect. And I nearly pulled the "buy" button but they have not passed the aesthetics test. So I've been on the hunt for something similar and have a shortlist. I really like the idea of WiSA as a standard way more than Kleernet. To me it seem like a much better solution somehow. I stream Qoboz/Deezer/DLNA via Chromecast everywhere else in the house which is easy and works so this would also need to be used here for music.

makespeakertransportcostthoughts
buchardta700wisa5600my initial go-to; wife not keen on size and look
dynaudiofocus 30wisa6500perfect, small, with dirac too being a bonus, but expensive
q accousticsq active 400kleernet2300don't like the plasticy look but kinda does it all
dalicallisto 6ckleernet3000can't get excited by them, kleernet and blueos neither of which interest me
dalioberon 7ckleernet1600cheap as chips for a quick fix even if they're dull?
harmon kardonradiance 2400wisa3000separate sub, but kinda cool?
bang & oulfsonbeolab 28wisa14000love the look not the price
piegaace 50wisa2300like the slim alu look need wisa hub never heard the brand so buying very blind

All the above options fit the scope - but a wide range of prices! While the wife would go for the B&O solution on looks alone, I'm sure I could find a better use of about 8k extra if I went with something else!

So - anyone have any opinions on any of the above? Definite nos or yeses for any specific reason?

dkinric

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Have you looked at the KEF LS60? Great reviews and look - about $5k.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Joffy1780

I didn't really think through the design with my new extension when it came to audio but did have the foresight to put a projector in. As it now stands, all my AV is at the back of the room in a nice cupboard tucked away, and the projector in the ceiling and everything is very "wife friendly". However of course, the sound is terrible as it comes out the tiny tinny speaker in the projector. To rectify this, I've bought a Bluetooth Low Latency soundbar which is ok ish, but honestly, as we don't have a TV unit, it just sits on the floor, or on end, or the dog uses it as a toy, so we essentially don't use it much. Music in the room is courtesy of a Google Home which needless to say is OK for the radio while reading a paper with breakfast but weak for anything else - and was always my plan to put something half decent in this room stereo wise.

Anyway, enough of the life story! We have 2 sockets either side of the wall we project on - and perfect location for some active speakers. I like floorstanders not bookshelves, 1 because we don't have a shelf and 2 because I actually like both the look as well as (generally) getting a little lower and don't require a sub. (In the other room I run a 5.1 system most of the time, and while occasionally for films a sub might be useful, I don't actually turn the sub on much at all when listening to music). A Sub is also 1 more box to find floor space for, and if a speaker is on a stand, might as well use that real estate for more speaker!?

So, inputs at the back. I want a nice clean minimal "wife friendly" setup and so WiSA based hub systems like Buchardt A700 are perfect. And I nearly pulled the "buy" button but they have not passed the aesthetics test. So I've been on the hunt for something similar and have a shortlist. I really like the idea of WiSA as a standard way more than Kleernet. To me it seem like a much better solution somehow. I stream Qoboz/Deezer/DLNA via Chromecast everywhere else in the house which is easy and works so this would also need to be used here for music.

makespeakertransportcostthoughts
buchardta700wisa5600my initial go-to; wife not keen on size and look
dynaudiofocus 30wisa6500perfect, small, with dirac too being a bonus, but expensive
q accousticsq active 400kleernet2300don't like the plasticy look but kinda does it all
dalicallisto 6ckleernet3000can't get excited by them, kleernet and blueos neither of which interest me
dalioberon 7ckleernet1600cheap as chips for a quick fix even if they're dull?
harmon kardonradiance 2400wisa3000separate sub, but kinda cool?
bang & oulfsonbeolab 28wisa14000love the look not the price
piegaace 50wisa2300like the slim alu look need wisa hub never heard the brand so buying very blind

All the above options fit the scope - but a wide range of prices! While the wife would go for the B&O solution on looks alone, I'm sure I could find a better use of about 8k extra if I went with something else!

So - anyone have any opinions on any of the above? Definite nos or yeses for any specific reason?
Dutch and Dutch 8c? Not floorstanders, but you wouldn't need a separate subwoofer and they would trump the B&O by orders of magnitude I reckon.

OP
T

teapea

Have you looked at the KEF LS60? Great reviews and look - about $5k.
Doesn't support wireless hub - all inputs are from the front which won't work when my AV kit is at the rear of the room.

OP
T

teapea

Dutch and Dutch 8c? Not floorstanders, but you wouldn't need a separate subwoofer and they would trump the B&O by orders of magnitude I reckon.
No wireless hub option so can't connect HDMI to them

OP
T

teapea

What sources are you using? Are you just going for a 2.0 setup?

Streaming from my own server via DLNA (which I just use phone for and chromecast) or via Qoboz/Deezer again via chromecast.
Then HDMI for the AV kit, which is all going through an HDMI box at the back of the room which includes TV/games consoles/chromecast etc.
So I could probably just pipe everything via HDMI but that's the absolute critical input which needs to be sent wirelessly.

And yes - for the time being 2.0 - but would be nice to know that if I wanted in the future I could use them as part of a surround system - which if they're WiSA baked in.

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
and don't require a sub. (In the other room I run a 5.1 system most of the time, and while occasionally for films a sub might be useful,
FYI - You do lose the "point one" LFE channel without a sub. Bass management in an AVR can optionally send the bass from all the other channels to the sub but it doesn't work the other way around and the LFE isn't included in the downmix.

DSJR

Major Contributor
LS60's may be a perfect solution and should be widely available?

I don't know the Dynaudio Focus 30 as it was only on static demonstration but the 50 knocked me for six (and here I am a dyed in the wool ATC fanboy who should be promoting the 40A's which although not as advanced, communicate the music extremely well, to me at least!!!). The Focus 30 is a dinky floorstander I admit and very discrete, which may be a perfect thing for you. I did find the stand mounted one a bit 'pushy' in the bass which fed into my old suspicions of tiny bass units being all but 'forced' to go too low - they may go low but they don't 'breathe' the way a larger driver does, at least on the music I like to play.

OP
T

teapea

FYI - You do lose the "point one" LFE channel without a sub. Bass management in an AVR can optionally send the bass from all the other channels to the sub but it doesn't work the other way around and the LFE isn't included in the downmix.
sure - for music they run as full frequency stereo - for films - I don't always bother to turn the sub on. I don't miss it. Regardless of technically how it's referred to.

OP
T

teapea

LS60's may be a perfect solution and should be widely available?

I don't know the Dynaudio Focus 30 as it was only on static demonstration but the 50 knocked me for six (and here I am a dyed in the wool ATC fanboy who should be promoting the 40A's which although not as advanced, communicate the music extremely well, to me at least!!!). The Focus 30 is a dinky floorstander I admit and very discrete, which may be a perfect thing for you. I did find the stand mounted one a bit 'pushy' in the bass which fed into my old suspicions of tiny bass units being all but 'forced' to go too low - they may go low but they don't 'breathe' the way a larger driver does, at least on the music I like to play.
LS60 don't support any type of wireless hub

Yes no-one seems to talk about the 30s much, it's all the stand mounts or the bigger 50s - they do seem on paper to be an ideal solution - I just baulk at spending 1k more than the Buchardts... (but as I'm not allowed them probably need to get over that!) although still way cheaper than b&o!!!

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Streaming from my own server via DLNA (which I just use phone for and chromecast) or via Qoboz/Deezer again via chromecast.
Then HDMI for the AV kit, which is all going through an HDMI box at the back of the room which includes TV/games consoles/chromecast etc.
So I could probably just pipe everything via HDMI but that's the absolute critical input which needs to be sent wirelessly.

And yes - for the time being 2.0 - but would be nice to know that if I wanted in the future I could use them as part of a surround system - which if they're WiSA baked in.

The wildcard would be to use a Sonos amp taking HDMI eARC in via cable and then using your favorite passive floorstanders of choice. You lose room correction although people will use the Sonance speakers as “dongles”. (Sonos will only enable room correction when it detects that you are running a pre approved speaker. However it works to connect the pre approved speaker, allow it to detect, and then switch the cables when you do the measurements).

It will support Sonos Era100 or Five as wireless rear speakers.

eddantes

Don't you just want a WiSA hub and then any WiSA certified speaker will do so long as they meet WAF/PRICE/PERF?

DSJR

Major Contributor
LS60 don't support any type of wireless hub

Yes no-one seems to talk about the 30s much, it's all the stand mounts or the bigger 50s - they do seem on paper to be an ideal solution - I just baulk at spending 1k more than the Buchardts... (but as I'm not allowed them probably need to get over that!) although still way cheaper than b&o!!!
B&O always were expensive, but actually, their performance wasn't as bad as we thought back then. Today, they're in a different wealth-realm and I've no idea at all how they can justify the price despite the finish they've always been good at (in my days, solid brushed aluminium panels became polished aluminium- 'veneered' onto solid plastic but no idea how they do it today).

Dynaudio are a huge European concern so should be good for spares and service with any luck. I know little of their pro models but they've done a range of actives for the pro market for years it seems, so should be well versed in how to do it properly (in fairness, the baby stand mount focus model did sound better once the bass eq was turned down or switched off - can't remember now). Maybe the 30's will benefit from a sub or two?

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LS60 are wireless? If you have WiFi you don't need a hub? They support Chromecast. I must be misunderstanding why WISA would be required.

If WiSA is a requirement then i guess you'll need to pick one of the certified speakers.

staticV3

Master Contributor
LS60 are wireless? If you have WiFi you don't need a hub? They support Chromecast. I must be misunderstanding why WISA would be required.
LS60 cannot be used wirelessly for watching movies on OP's projector.

The wireless functions are for music only.

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
LS60 cannot be used wirelessly for watching movies on OP's projector.

The wireless functions are for music only.
Thanks I thought they were for music only. I figured I wasn't understanding something. Doesn't seem to be a lot of options with WiSA.

Laagman

We are in the same situation. But my girlfriend likes the looks of the A700 (only the wood version of though) and not those of the LS60s for example.

But when you are going to spend 15K I would skip the B&O and look at the Dutch 8c or Kii Three too. D&D are releasing a floorstander too. But probably really expensive and nobody knows when it will release.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks I thought they were for music only. I figured I wasn't understanding something. Doesn't seem to be a lot of options with WiSA.

WiSA is conceptually a good idea but there must be a lot of issues with implementation even if it’s something like licensing fees as opposed to a technical challenge.

For wireless rear speakers with full tower speakers, besides the WiSA approach, you have
1) Sonos with Era100 or Sonos Five rears

2) Yamaha with MusicCast rears

3) Sony STR-AZ line with SA-RS5 rears.

4) You could also try the Klark Technik transmitter: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ireless-system-review-and-measurements.49974/

I would imagine that any deficiencies in the transmission can be overcome with superior active rear speakers.

In the end, only B&O has a nice looking WiSA solution…

Top Bottom