• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Harman Sub-Curves?

nstzya

As I understand it, the Harman curve is an average of subjective opinions of a variety of listeners both trained and untrained. Are there subgroups - “sub curves” so to speak? For example, and most relevant I would think - age subgroups? I know my ears are not what they used to be. As well as my preferences.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
There is a curve belonging to a specific test fixture with a specific coupler/pinna.
Other test fixtures need different curves.
One should realize these are only really applicable for a small SPL range so that target also changes at different listening volume.

Then there is also a target curve (so without the needed correction for a specific HATS) which looks a lot like room curves with some additional bass boost.

There are also some picture of ranges where bass boost and treble adjustments fall in for certain 'groups' of individuals.

So while there is a Harman curve this does not mean that this is what everyone likes. It is an average that was decided on as a target that the majority of headphone users in general prefer.

But it would be crazy to have different targets (or a moving target) within a range. A 'reference' has to be set and it was.
There is one for speakers in a room, one for headphones (on-over ear) and for IEM's.

One is totally free to deviate from that for their own listening pleasure and for whatever reason but for measurements to be comparable they have to be set in stone.

Last edited:
OP
N

nstzya

I should have been more specific. I‘m primarily interested in the room curves and how they apply to speaker testing/evaluation here. Since we seem to be evaluating speakers based upon how closely they adhere to the Harman room curve (as opposed to flat anechoic response), and if there are sub curves available, what was/is the rationale to use the one we do? Other than “thats what we started with” and to keep things consistent/standardized.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

OP
N

nstzya

Thanks for the link. Interestingly, since it is an AVERAGE of a diverse group listeners of all backgrounds, ages, etc, they DO specify three general subgroups with modifications to the main curve . I find myself in the third sub group - with a preference of 3dB cut of the bass end. Probably bc it tilts up the higher frequencies to compensate for the years of live concerts and abuse in my youth.

BoredErica

Addicted to Fun and Learning
There is a curve belonging to a specific test fixture with a specific coupler/pinna.
Other test fixtures need different curves.
One should realize these are only really applicable for a small SPL range so that target also changes at different listening volume.
What is that SPL range?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
80 to 85 dB average which is an active listening level used in studios when mixing.

At more sensible listening levels for long haul listening the average SPL will be closer in the 65-75dB average range.
The Harman bass correction is more desirable at these levels (equal loudness contour)

Top Bottom