• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Diffuse Field -10db tilt is a horrible curve

OP
A

alumnicesar

This is a good question that too few are asking. If I understood the Twitter thread it's private data from GRAS engineers that's smoothed. Different from the ISO-DF and BK5128-DF usually referenced.

What I'm sure about is that people pushing tilted-DF will take it as a win, as they always do from a biased position.
Oratory answers that here: https://x.com/oratory1990/status/1716367945348055137?s=46&t=tkkcgPO032AXpvNA6m_m5Q

Regardless, 100% preference is nothing to scoff at. I can appreciate 5128 measurements now. Just as long as they use the 5128 df -14db tilt and not -10

Headphoneshow's preference bounds do a good job.
the smoother bass boost actually makes more sense even, the Harman one masks 200Hz region.

but I would like to know the source of this diffuse field curve
I've always preferred a 150hz bass shelf instead of Harman's 105hz. Has Harman tested different hz bass shelves or just the bass amount?

dasdoing

Major Contributor
. If I understood the Twitter thread it's private data from GRAS engineers that's smoothed

intresting, they seam to be developing a new one and this is not finished yet

1698073530116.png

What I'm sure about is that people pushing tilted-DF will take it as a win, as they always do from a biased position.

not sure why this exercise is done either. they are probably trying to give Harman curve an objective root

dasdoing

Major Contributor
it makes more sense to aply loudness contour correction to difuse field curves and than compare.
here is a DF curve downloaded from AutoEQ site and multiplied by 20dB (ISO) loudness correction (diference of 90dB and 70dB).
when I get my hands on the new Gras DF curve it would be intresting to aply that loudness correction to it

1698073679544.png

markanini

Major Contributor
The fact that all these DF curves need substantial modification to sound perpetually pleasing could also indicate that they are not that suitable for the purpose. If DF based targets are a shortcut they end up making you go in circles.

markanini

Major Contributor
I actually correct to the ISO one. But I also use a room simulation in the chain
That might be a specific use case that warrants it.

IMHO a balanced headphone or IEM has a bit of a front localized presentation on stereo content, because that's what a stereo setup in a normal listening room has. DF is a more abstract acoustic space, and possibly more dependent on how well the HATS represents the end listeners full HRTF.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
That might be a specific use case that warrants it.

IMHO a balanced headphone or IEM has a bit of a front localized presentation on stereo content, because that's what a stereo setup in a normal listening room has. DF is a more abstract acoustic space, and possibly more dependent on how well the HATS represents the end listeners full HRTF.

Well, I don't use a bass boost on my normal setup either.
But possibly I would end up with another curve for headphones if I used them a lot and without the room sim, who knows

OP
A

alumnicesar

dasdoing

Major Contributor

I wonder how much time they had. I would probably want a few hours to decide. you have 2 dimensions here, a lot of options to get familiar with, and then you would want to test them out on a lot of music

EDIT: our interest here was also the Q, which seems it was fixed and pretty steep. a shallower Q shelf but starting higher above would result in the same bass but louder lower mids.

I understand that you have to limit the options to come to a conclusion, but this also limits possible results

Last edited:
Top Bottom