• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Looking for post Neumann MA-1 auto alignment adjustment recommendations

OP
camel

camel

When I started w/ the app, maybe 2-3 years ago, I could not find a way to switch to English units. The MA1 software, in my opinion, is very difficult to use and really needs a UX overhaul. For example, from the start screen you need to click on a tiny little orange ">" arrow to go to the next screen. And that arrow is burried in a background graphic. I'm ashamed to say how long it took me just to figure out there was an arrow and that I needed to click on it.
It was definitely not designed by UI designers. I’m fine as long as I can make it work, but I do wish it had more user adjustable features in the DSP settings for the cost of the system. Our RME has PEQ options as well of course, but I’m guessing this “alignment” supposedly does far more than just EQ curves. (at least I’m hoping)

radix

Major Contributor
It was definitely not designed by UI designers. I’m fine as long as I can make it work, but I do wish it had more user adjustable features in the DSP settings for the cost of the system. Our RME has PEQ options as well of course, but I’m guessing this “alignment” supposedly does far more than just EQ curves. (at least I’m hoping)
The alignment to a target curve does much more than PEQ. It will also adjust timing and phase.

That video also describes the concept of room-specific target. The rest of the videos in that series are pretty informative too.

radix

Major Contributor
This video goes into more detail about the target curve.

OP
camel

camel

The alignment to a target curve does much more than PEQ. It will also adjust timing and phase.

That video also describes the concept of room-specific target. The rest of the videos in that series are pretty informative too.
right! This is my understanding as well but I never watched all 7 of their videos, only the 7th for the actual software.. Of course if it doesn’t sound good then it’s all meaningless lol.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I still think your curve looks suspicious. As if something went wrong. Maybe post a photo of your setup?

OP
camel

camel

I still think your curve looks suspicious. As if something went wrong. Maybe post a photo of your setup?
Happy to post a picture once I get back next week. What part of the curve (dotted line for original) looks suspicious? What kind of curve would you normally expect in an untreated room?

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No I mean the default / standard preference curve setting of the MA1. This should not result in such flat frequency response but in an even roll off (as described above) towards the higher frequencies.

Agreed. Using KH80 and KH120 II, I’ve never had a recommended curve that lifted the treble compared to the measured response like that.

OP
camel

camel

Here you go
IMG_4257.jpeg

Top Bottom