• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

GR Research X-LS Encore Kit Speaker Review

chorus

No although it would be fun. We have too many for one room.
This is meant to be more of an exhibition/listening session and fun!!

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Encores with XO upgrades that sound better than most of the other 16 models of standmounts included in our August 27th SpeakerFest 2022 Event here
in the Phoenix area. I believe it was John Curl who is credited with the statement " Measurements are meant to confirm what our ears tell us". I tend to agree.

For the record, despite dodgy use of verb tense ("included") you posted on August 18 about an event on August 22. Therefore, your statement is a prediction not an observation. You haven't actually compared them, except in your own head.

I would recommend you try to listen with open ears rather than obvious bias.

Northa40

Well, I debated whether or not I would comment on this thread but here goes. I have purchased the XL S Encore from Danny on a recent trip to Texas and arrived at his home pretty much unannounced. Danny and Hobbs graciously fixed me up with all the parts to build the basic kit. At 60 years of age, my hearing isn't what it used to be, so I did not get the upgrades. I debated about the tube connectors because, what I consider, quality binding posts and banana plugs would cost me $30 so I could have lived with the $50 cost but decided not to get them. Also, the tube connector jack will accept a standard banana plug and an all-copper connector isn't a bad choice.
I have not finished building the speakers yet, although, I have built the crossovers, which does have a small SoniCap bypass cap for the tweeter circuit. This cap was included in the kit. I did purchase the No Rez though, because with speakers that I have built in the past, I have used asphalt dampening along with fiber glass or poly fill and this one step approach with No Rez appealed to me. Less muss no fuss.
As for cabinets, I have purchased flat pack enclosures from Parts Express, which I am picking up this Saturday. These boxes are .56 cu ft and have, IMO, better bracing. Yes, I could cut up some MDF but this way is easier, and I don't have to breath in the dust. I am also going to round all front edges and I plan on finishing the cabinet with rubberized, paintable gravel guard. This coating gives a textured finish that, I hope, will help with cabinet dampening and surface edge diffraction.
Are these speakers good value? Maybe not. But what is the satisfaction of putting together a good pair of speakers worth? Once I have completed my build, I will post my subjective thoughts on this kit and its sound. I will be comparing them to my Paradigm Studio 80s and a pair of C Notes just to add some context.
Well, that's it, if I have posted in the wrong thread let me know. Cheers!

maltux

For the record, despite dodgy use of verb tense ("included") you posted on August 18 about an event on August 22. Therefore, your statement is a prediction not an observation. You haven't actually compared them, except in your own head.

My time machine has not been working either.:confused:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My time machine has not been working either.:confused:
You might want to ping ellie. :)
index.php

source: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...s/a-call-for-humor.9679/page-737#post-1444084

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Now that the event is in the past, can look to see how well the X-LS Encore rated.

Here are the results. It ranks amongst the lowest of the speakers participating.

Northa40

Thanks Rick
I have been fallowing along but just decided to post once I got all the bits together. Thanks for all your work!

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks Rick
I have been fallowing along but just decided to post once I got all the bits together. Thanks for all your work!

Thanks. Enjoy your build. Since it appears you kept the upgrades to a minimum, it is not a bad value. :)

Thomas_A

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Now that the event is in the past, can look to see how well the X-LS Encore rated.

Here are the results. It ranks amongst the lowest of the speakers participating.
I do not get the rating score and method.

Rick Sykora

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sure Not

It's too bad the front edges of the cabinet weren't rounded to reduce edge diffraction.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It's too bad the front edges of the cabinet weren't rounded to reduce edge diffraction.
What percentage of people who put this speaker together have skills and tools to round over the edges? And how do you know that is the dominant problem with this speaker? The main issue with this design is lack of tweeter waveguide causing this kind of uneven dispersion:

index.php

That is not caused by diffraction and is a much higher order issue.

Sure Not

"What percentage of people who put this speaker together have skills and tools to round over the edges?"
-I don't know, but all that is needed is a router with a roundover bit, which are not uncommon.

"And how do you know that is the dominant problem with this speaker?"
-I don't. I was just suggesting one thing that might help to optimize the speaker.

"The main issue with this design is lack of tweeter waveguide causing this kind of uneven dispersion"
-Good to know. What speaker to you think has the best waveguide design? Perhaps the JBL LSR305? Thank you for the reply.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"What percentage of people who put this speaker together have skills and tools to round over the edges?"
-I don't know, but all that is needed is a router with a roundover bit, which are not uncommon.
Well I do know. Anyone with skills and tools to make a roundover, would build the whole cabinet himself. The people who buy these flatpacks want a weekend project to put the thing together and be done. Further, anyone who has ever worked with MDF and routers knows what a mess that creates and the hazard to your health with that dust and epoxy mixed up.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
"The main issue with this design is lack of tweeter waveguide causing this kind of uneven dispersion"
-Good to know. What speaker to you think has the best waveguide design? Perhaps the JBL LSR305? Thank you for the reply.
My pleasure. LSR305 is active so not its competitor (although it does have a waveguide). Competitors would be a number of bookshelf speakers with waveguide.

carbidetooth

Well I do know. Anyone with skills and tools to make a roundover, would build the whole cabinet himself. The people who buy these flatpacks want a weekend project to put the thing together and be done. Further, anyone who has ever worked with MDF and routers knows what a mess that creates and the hazard to your health with that dust and epoxy mixed up.
Actually, that's conjecture. I can tell you with certainty that many who choose the flatpack route have the woodworking capability but choose flatpacks nonetheless. For a variety of reasons. Not all are in it for a "weekend project".
The dust that MDF produces when machined is indeed annoying and the particulates are a concern, but there's no epoxy in the mix. Years ago, resin containing urea formaldehyde was used and off-gassing was a concern. All MDF produced in North America is now required to be certified as NAUF (no additional Urea Formaldehyde). It's been that way for at least 10 years.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Actually, that's conjecture. I can tell you with certainty that many who choose the flatpack route have the woodworking capability but choose flatpacks nonetheless. For a variety of reasons. Not all are in it for a "weekend project".
You say my statement was conjecture and then hand me the very thing. :) I am a woodworker. There is no way I would go and buy a flatpack if I then have to go and route the edges myself. If the edges need to be routed, then the company needs to ship them that way. If I am going to make dust, then I will make the thing to have real pride of building something.

carbidetooth

You say my statement was conjecture and then hand me the very thing. :) I am a woodworker. There is no way I would go and buy a flatpack if I then have to go and route the edges myself. If the edges need to be routed, then the company needs to ship them that way. If I am going to make dust, then I will make the thing to have real pride of building something.
But that's you, Amir, and I don't imagine you're the voice of DIY speaker building. My certainty comes from communicating with many who've built the flat packs I produce. Your bias is not shared by everyone.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
All MDF produced in North America is now required to be certified as NAUF (no additional Urea Formaldehyde). It's been that way for at least 10 years.
What? That is not my understanding. EPA only sets the limit for Formaldehyde emissions. It has not at all outlawed its use. NAUF is an option costing more money.

Top Bottom