• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Lab Erish coming soon

ssips

I got mine last week, and I can't stop listening.
I can hear violinists breathing while they are playing through this.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a sneaky feeling this might be the perfect amp for my LCD X. I was right.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been thinking about getting one for my LCD-3... Must. Resist. Temptation.

Martin

"Only" $200 Martin and I *believe* there may be a discount code attached to Z reviews review on youtube, You dont even need to watch the review (He likes it)

The 3 and the X present very differently to the amp though dont they? X low impedance - Im running between 10 and 12 o clock on low gain but suspect you would need high gain and I believe thats 6x. Its not a powerful amp, but its sweet!

(I run my Ether CX which are pretty current hungry around 2 o clock low gain though)

David E.

"Only" $200 Martin and I *believe* there may be a discount code attached to Z reviews review on youtube, You dont even need to watch the review (He likes it)

The 3 and the X present very differently to the amp though dont they? X low impedance - Im running between 10 and 12 o clock on low gain but suspect you would need high gain and I believe thats 6x. Its not a powerful amp, but its sweet!

(I run my Ether CX which are pretty current hungry around 2 o clock low gain though)

Jimbob...what source do you have connected to the Erish?

GoldenOne

Not Active
If anyone is curious, it turns out the eirish is a current source amplifier. NOT a voltage source amplifier as most designs are.

This means that whilst it is 1w @ 32 ohms, its power output will be HIGHER with high-impedance cans, not lower as with most amps.
Hence it can drive 600 ohm DT880's or 300ohm hd800's for example with more power than most other "higher wattage" amps like the 789. Because the power scales the other way.

They do not list power outputs for other load impedances, and seem to be a bit vague in their marketing so as not to "give it away" as such. I'm sure people running dt880 600ohm and finding to their surprise that it drives them amazingly is probably leaving a lot of people bewildered as to how its doing this. The answer as stated above is it is not designed in the same way most amps are, and power scales proportionally to load impedance, not inversely as with most amps.

Its power supply is 12v 0.5A, so in theory has a max output of 6w however.

Geshelli states the amp was designed with 600 ohm cans in mind. How this will affect its performance with say 50 ohm planars is a bit unclear.
But @amirm if you do a review of this amp, it would be interesting to see some power/wattage testing at more loads than you would typically for other amps given the somewhat unusual design here.

Attachments

• uojQUY2CEj.png
    uojQUY2CEj.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 209

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I got mine last week, and I can't stop listening.
I can hear violinists breathing while they are playing through this.
Which track?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If anyone is curious, it turns out the eirish is a current source amplifier. NOT a voltage source amplifier as most designs are.

This means that whilst it is 1w @ 32 ohms, its power output will be HIGHER with high-impedance cans, not lower as with most amps.
Hence it can drive 600 ohm DT880's or 300ohm hd800's for example with more power than most other "higher wattage" amps like the 789. Because the power scales the other way.

They do not list power outputs for other load impedances, and seem to be a bit vague in their marketing so as not to "give it away" as such. I'm sure people running dt880 600ohm and finding to their surprise that it drives them amazingly is probably leaving a lot of people bewildered as to how its doing this. The answer as stated above is it is not designed in the same way most amps are, and power scales proportionally to load impedance, not inversely as with most amps.

Geshelli states the amp was designed with 600 ohm cans in mind. How this will affect its performance with say 50 ohm planars is a bit unclear.
But @amirm if you do a review of this amp, it would be interesting to see some power/wattage testing at more loads than you would typically for other amps given the somewhat unusual design here.
What the...

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

To my ears it works great with the 20ohm lcd x planar And the 300 ohm hd800 dynamic. And the 40(?) ohm ether CX

Last edited:

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning

????? I think you got something wrong here...

GoldenOne

Not Active

ReaderZ

I know what is current amp, but if that scale up to 600ohm with constant current... Also wonder output impedance issue.

GoldenOne

Not Active
I know what is current amp, but if that scale up to 600ohm with constant current...
Its not certain that its a PURE current source amp. In fact I imagine it wouldn't be. There are very few amps that are let alone headphone amps. I think bakoon is the only company making pure current source amps afaik.

But i'm certainly looking forward to seeing measurements of power at different loads

ReaderZ

Its not certain that its a PURE current source amp. In fact I imagine it wouldn't be. There are very few amps that are let alone headphone amps. I think bakoon is the only company making pure current source amps afaik.

But i'm certainly looking forward to seeing measurements of power at different loads

Even if not pure, output impedance would be something to worry about for non planar?

GoldenOne

Not Active
Even if not pure, output impedance would be something to worry about for non planar?
It doesn't affect things in quite the same way.
Though that's something that i'm not knowledgeable enough on the topic to say exactly how it would change things. Only that I know its different to how damping factor/output impedance affects things on voltage source amps.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Output opamps are current feedback which is not the same as current drive output.
The limited power is caused by the used DCDC converters, not by the power supply.
At least I assume they still use it
Perhaps @Jimbob54 can take a picture from the front so we can see which converters are used, if any.

Last edited:
Top Bottom