• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Lab Erish coming soon

bonesy

Good stuff. Where do you get your cables from? They look like mine

RCAs = Ghent Audio. Pretty sure they were their second cheapest but they're solid and only about a tenner each.
XLR interconnects = NoBull XLRs. Proper solid. I assume they're more pro-oriented but for the price they've always suited me. Their XLRs are metal and built to last.
XLR headphone cables (Audeze and Sennheiser) = Custom Cans (UK). They seem fine and the thread is excellent quality but for £90 each I'd have liked a toggle at the split and metal connections. Plus they took 3 weeks to send them 30 miles. I bought, returned and had replaced an amp from China in the time I was waiting for a cable to be sent to me. Geshelli have easily had the best service of any of my headphone purchases in contrast.
USB = Chord Silver. £50. Obviously I bought that before I discovered this site. It's fine but I have a very short Fisual cable which was £10 and sounds no worse at all.

That little Shure mic must have a decent DAC and headphone amp because the HD598's sound great on video calls and general internet use. Plus they're very light and great with talk/classical radio or listening to the football or cricket for long periods of time.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_224658.jpg
    IMG_20200702_224658.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 326

Paperdragons

Geno, from Geshelli, just e-mailed me to confirm the ground (shield) of the 4 pin XLR is indeed connected to ground.

So... anyone wishing to use a single ended headphone on the Erish can do so when you make (or have it made) an adapter with the following connections:

Connect XLR connector shield (metal around the connector) to Sleeve of the TRS. This can be 3.5mm or 6.35mm
Connect XLR pin-1 to Tip of the TRS
Connect XLR pin-3 to Ring of the TRS

leave the other XLR pins unconnected (open)

Thanks for doing the leg-work!

Gizmo1k

For 25 Euros I can throw in a T-shirt as well.
View attachment 66580

converter cable using fancy connectors and cable color.

View attachment 66581

sorry incorrect description:

This ultimate quality custom made (to owners specifications) conversion cable, constructed with the best sounding audiophile quality components, cryo treated conductors with special geometry and the finest high silver/chrome/gold/titanium alloy hand soldered connections. The red super soft and supple outer sheathing removes cold sound and warms the sound up to a warm glowy red sound without changing the tonality. This ensures a rich sound with super high qualities.
Not only does this converter cable simply converts between the balanced 4-pin XLR Erish output and 6.35 locking TRS connectors but it actually improves sound quality by at least 3 levels.
what 1/4 " female adapter did you use? I'm gonna make one also.. I could only find the GLS Audio ones on Amazon.

Bluess

How does it compare to same out of the Topping?
I'm not really good at describing sound. But I can hear more micro details compare to dx7 pro headphone out, clean, transparent. It's not a significant upgrade that you can tell like night and day but definitely a step up for a nice price.
Though, I wish the chassis would look better, lol.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm not really good at describing sound. But I can hear more micro details compare to dx7 pro headphone out, clean, transparent. It's not a significant upgrade that you can tell like night and day but definitely a step up for a nice price.
Though, I wish the chassis would look better, lol.
As I've said before, the looks are... Divisive.

I think if you are on a desk, make it/them a statement piece with a custom colour job. I'm on a rack, so not so fussed.

I hope for their upcoming DAC they make all I/O to the rear so it can stack cleanly.

minmsee

My Erish arrived yesterday. My headphones are Hifiman HE6se,
Geshelli-Erish-2.jpg
one of the most difficult headphones to drive, so I was concerned about the output power specification (1W @ 32ohm). But my Erish, which is connected to the DAC using an RCA-XLR conversion cable, drives my HE6se very well. (The input voltage is half of the XLR connection.) As you can see from the attached photo, a volume of 2 o'clock with high gain is sufficient. I'm very happy to get Geshelli Erish Balanced that has both high power and excellent sound quality.

MalinYamato

Design and colors are quire important for me so I wish there were a gallarty of all the combinations of cases with different colors.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Design and colors are quire important for me so I wish there were a gallarty of all the combinations of cases with different colors.

If you drop Shelli @Geshelli an email [email protected] I reckon she could sort most requests within reason for you- not just what listed . Or at least send you a colour chart or similar.

MalinYamato

My Erish arrived yesterday. My headphones are Hifiman HE6se,View attachment 73964 one of the most difficult headphones to drive, so I was concerned about the output power specification (1W @ 32ohm). But my Erish, which is connected to the DAC using an RCA-XLR conversion cable, drives my HE6se very well. (The input voltage is half of the XLR connection.) As you can see from the attached photo, a volume of 2 o'clock with high gain is sufficient. I'm very happy to get Geshelli Erish Balanced that has both high power and excellent sound quality.
nice! first I thought it looked ugly like a diy project, but now I think it looks cool something very different on your desktop getting tired of all black stuff. I got myself a red M500 and I love the color and now I am leaning towards that purple box to go with it. Is there any pictures that show how it looks like with different led color settings?

Last edited:

MalinYamato

It drives my t1.2 really well too
if thats so, then this little box despite its 1w@32 should be enough for all my future needs. My knowledgeable in audio tech is poor so my questions my appear odd> Considering that Eirhs is enough for 600ohm phones, I am a little confused why you need wopping 6w@32 or 3w@32 such as the performance of those AAA offerings.

MalinYamato

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
if thats so, then this little box despite its 1w@32 should be enough for all my future needs. My knowledgeable in audio tech is poor so my questions my appear odd> Considering that Eirhs is enough for 600ohm phones, I am a little confused why you need wopping 6w@32 or 3w@32 such as the performance of those AAA offerings.

For the vast majority of headphones, you dont. Having spare power isnt a bad thing. Also, if you start to use EQ you might have 10db or so reduction at source so again, more juice isnt a bad thing.

But I own a lot of headphones, very few of them require amps to go to higher gain settings. The Beyer T1.2 and the Hifiman HE560 are about the hardest to drive I own, and this amp and others are fine.

There is a reason that the JDS atom amp is/ was the default recommendation for newbies - 1W @32 ohm clean power . For the price , that was unheard of at remotely its price at release and it will handle pretty much anything. Now we are spoilt for choice. If you like the look of Geshelli- you might want to look at the Archel 2.5- it will take the xlr higher voltage from your M500 too but keep single ended output. I own this and that- both great.

solderdude

Grand Contributor

The T1 = 600 Ohm
The Erish is around 0.4W in 600 Ohm and 0.75W in 300 Ohm.
However, when the design is really fully balanced as advertised and given it has a 4-gang potmeter changes are when connecting it to an RCA out of the source via an RCA to XLR cable the output power may well be 1/4 of the above mentioned output power in that case.

When a headphone amp can deliver 6W in 32Ohm it can deliver around 0.3W in 600 Ohm (probably a bit more like 0.4 or 0.5W in 600 Ohm).

If I were Geshelli I would also list output powers in various impedances.

Bluess

Btw, why do you choose to use Erish as an amp instead of DX7 Pros amp?
Simple, dx7 pro hp output doesn't sound and measured as good. I was planning to buy a topping a90 to go with dx7 pro but seeing this amp having what I need also saves me 300$ and their past products are well received in the forum.
So I gave it a shot without expecting much since it looks like a diy project.
Today, I had a meeting with a local enthusiast, we tried comparing the sound coming from dx7 pro balanced hp out and Erish with a LCD-2 headphone. The Erish gave a much better transparency, micro details and can be noticed right away with our test tracks. So it turns out to be a much better investment than I had expected.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I reckon a not 0.1dB level matched and sighted comparison ?

Top Bottom