• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Geshelli Lab Erish coming soon

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Weird, the used opamps are normal opamps
The limited power is caused by the used DCDC converters, not by the power supply.
At least I assume they still use it
Perhaps @Jimbob54 can take a picture from the front so we can see which converters are used, if any.

Smoked plexi so might be tough! I'll see what I can do.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
stop smoking... its bad for you ! :facepalm:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Smoked plexi so might be tough! I'll see what I can do.
@solderdude
IMG_20200619_191504.jpg

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Hard to see but it looks like there are DCDC converters behind the potmeter.
At least it has a 4-gang potmeter so is all balanced inside instead of bal-> SE-> potmeter -> balanced output.

I doubt it has a current output that would limit the type of headphones that could be used.
Perhaps they meant high current output. The OPA is 100mA (so 70mA max).
The balanced output would work well with 300-600 Ohm headphones (double the output voltage compared to the 2.5 I reckon.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hard to see but it looks like there are DCDC converters behind the potmeter.
At least it has a 4-gang potmeter so is all balanced inside instead of bal-> SE-> potmeter -> balanced output.

I doubt it has a current output that would limit the type of headphones that could be used.
Perhaps they meant high current output. The OPA is 100mA (so 70mA max).
The balanced output would work well with 300-600 Ohm headphones (double the output voltage compared to the 2.5 I reckon.

I'm guessing using your cable takes the V back down? Because the A 2.5 under it is louder for the same phone for any given turn on the pot for any single ended phone For what that is worth

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Yes, you get half the gain (-6dB) and less output power for high impedance headphones. Max/ output power for low imp. headphones most likely stays the same as it is current limited.

The cable allows you to use both SE and balanced headphones on the Erish.

GoldenOne

Not Active
Weird, the used opamps are normal opamps
The limited power is caused by the used DCDC converters, not by the power supply.
At least I assume they still use it
Perhaps @Jimbob54 can take a picture from the front so we can see which converters are used, if any.
Yeah their email is still somewhat vague.

Clearly they don't want to disclose how the amp is working cause their official info is limited and even their answers to direct questions are....well vague

But its an interesting product.
If it IS a current source amp, and clearly it can drive high impedance cans really well, its unclear why they aren't marketing it as such.
I'd pay for it for that reason alone

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes, you get half the gain (-6dB) and less output power for high impedance headphones. Max/ output power for low imp. headphones most likely stays the same as it is current limited.

The cable allows you to use both SE and balanced headphones on the Erish.
For those perverts wanting to see @solderdude dongle in action with the Erish...
IMG_20200619_195235.jpg

Reactions: Tks

David E.

Just received the Erish and I love it. Had to change my wording after listening for a bit. The DX7 Pro and Erish compliment one another nicely!!! Prior to arriving, I had listened to the best of EW&F. I went back and listened with the Erish and man it sounds sooooo good.

Attachments

• IMG_20200619_175547.jpg
    IMG_20200619_175547.jpg
    1,016.1 KB · Views: 248
Last edited:
Reactions: Tks
The YouTuber fasil the wizard mentioned that Geno told him in a email that the Erish is almost a class A amp rather than a traditional class A/b amp, perhaps related to it being current based?

Seems like a very interesting amplifier! All the impressions I have thus far are extremely positive. I am concerned about it being able to drive a DCA Aeon 2 though. The Aeon has a impedance of 13, a lot of amps have issues with it as a result. Don't know if anyone has tried it with a Aeon or a verum one yet, they tend to be the ultimate tests in my experience.

Might pick one up to use with my modius in the future.

ReaderZ

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The YouTuber fasil the wizard mentioned that Geno told him in a email that the Erish is almost a class A amp rather than a traditional class A/b amp, perhaps related to it being current based?

Seems like a very interesting amplifier! All the impressions I have thus far are extremely positive. I am concerned about it being able to drive a DCA Aeon 2 though. The Aeon has a impedance of 13, a lot of amps have issues with it as a result. Don't know if anyone has tried it with a Aeon or a verum one yet, they tend to be the ultimate tests in my experience.

Might pick one up to use with my modius in the future.

Class A and current based are 2 different things, and there are many many pure class A headphone amps.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Have you received the amp yet? how is it? I got a friend to get one for me to pair with the same setup as you to drive Beyer T1 mk2

It is very nice with the T1.2

Paperdragons

"Odd" was probably an overstatement. The 2 was RCA -> SE, then 2.5 added XLR in but still only SE out. I would have thought balanced out would have made sense with XLR in, but it really doesn't matter. All bases are covered now, and Geshelli puts out well-engineered stuff, so they've got something good for everyone as far as I can see.

There are some benefits to balanced inputs and there was some pressure after releasing a balanced dac with a SE only amp option. That said the 2.5 is pretty great from a measurements and cost to performance standpoint.

bonesy

My Erish just arrived. I went for the clear perspex and matte black body.

First thing I have to say is that the customer service, information and delivery was first class and all my communications with the company were brilliant. Somehow it was dispatched from America on Monday and landed on my desk in Birmingham, UK on Thursday so all round the purchasing and customer service was perfect. Even the packaging was well considered and secure with a few nice touches.

Secondly, the aesthetics. I bought this hoping it would fit in with my ramshackle dump of a desk in the one corner of the house I'm allowed to claim as my own but despite the criticism it has received online it looks better than anything else on my desk. It looks very DIY on the website but in 3D it looks very professional. You can switch between internal LEDs or turn them off which is nice and the volume knob feels like it should.

Finally, the sound. Initially I was disappointed by the quite heavy channel imbalance to the left. It is very noticeable from 8 to 9 but unlike my SP200 disappears well before 10. By 12 with my LCD-2Cs it sounds amazing. I need to listen more before I pretend to know technical words to describe it :)
All I can say is that with £600 for the SMSL-SP200/M200 and Geshelli Erish I can't imagine getting anything better. I bought the Erish with the intention of using my HD660s for movies and games via RCA on the SP200 and the LCD-2Cs balanced through the M200 and Erish for music. This way I use my HD660s more than I used to and I haven't got to unplug anything as the SP200 has a switch between RCA and XLR.

It's definitely the best £200 I've spent and that included delivery to the UK so I'm very happy. Mainly because there's no point me spending another penny on amps or DACs and can spend a few months thinking about my next set of cans.

Attachments

• IMG_20200702_215555.jpg
    IMG_20200702_215555.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 265
  • IMG_20200702_215132.jpg
    IMG_20200702_215132.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 279
  • IMG_20200702_215233.jpg
    IMG_20200702_215233.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 319
  • IMG_20200702_215205.jpg
    IMG_20200702_215205.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 271

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
My Erish just arrived. I went for the clear perspex and matte black body.

First thing I have to say is that the customer service, information and delivery was first class and all my communications with the company were brilliant. Somehow it was dispatched from America on Monday and landed on my desk in Birmingham, UK on Thursday so all round the purchasing and customer service was perfect. Even the packaging was well considered and secure with a few nice touches.

Secondly, the aesthetics. I bought this hoping it would fit in with my ramshackle dump of a desk in the one corner of the house I'm allowed to claim as my own but despite the criticism it has received online it looks better than anything else on my desk. It looks very DIY on the website but in 3D it looks very professional. You can switch between internal LEDs or turn them off which is nice and the volume knob feels like it should.

Finally, the sound. Initially I was disappointed by the quite heavy channel imbalance to the left. It is very noticeable from 8 to 9 but unlike my SP200 disappears well before 10. By 12 with my LCD-2Cs it sounds amazing. I need to listen more before I pretend to know technical words to describe it :)
All I can say is that with £600 for the SMSL-SP200/M200 and Geshelli Erish I can't imagine getting anything better. I bought the Erish with the intention of using my HD660s for movies and games via RCA on the SP200 and the LCD-2Cs balanced through the M200 and Erish for music. This way I use my HD660s more than I used to and I haven't got to unplug anything as the SP200 has a switch between RCA and XLR.

It's definitely the best £200 I've spent and that included delivery to the UK so I'm very happy. Mainly because there's no point me spending another penny on amps or DACs and can spend a few months thinking about my next set of cans.

Good stuff. Where do you get your cables from? They look like mine

Edit : look like the ones I had made, not of my making

Last edited:
Top Bottom