• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Genelec GLM Review (Room EQ & Setup)

niloiv

I just did a glm calibration for my pair of 8341's, and in the GLM console there's an 'update' on my speaker icons now which is not shown in the tutorial. could someone explain what that means? Also I didn't find an option to get my room acoustic report. I've already logged in with my Genelec account and registered both monitors. Any idea where I could find the info? THanks!

1672373200976.png

Zaireeka

Right click on a speaker and click on "show info".

For receiving the GRADE report you first need to tick the option before doing the calibration measurement.

Hmast

I was wondering... if Genelec's servers are unreachables because of many possible reasons (Genelec's servers outage, ISP outage) or if Genelec turns off their cloud service in 10 years, could we still be able to EQ our precious speakers?

Hephaestus

I was wondering... if Genelec's servers are unreachables because of many possible reasons (Genelec's servers outage, ISP outage) or if Genelec turns off their cloud service in 10 years, could we still be able to EQ our precious speakers?
There is offline version of GLM available to calibrate and control your Genelec speakers - so no worries.

MrSoul4470

There is offline version of GLM available to calibrate and control your Genelec speakers - so no worries.
Offline only AutoCal(1) is available. AutoCal2 requires access to the Genelec cloud. The results will differ. So not quite right.

Hephaestus

Offline only AutoCal(1) is available. AutoCal2 requires access to the Genelec cloud. The results will differ. So not quite right.
I recommend that you read @Hmast question one more time. He asked: ”could we still be able to EQ our precious speakers

So my answer to him is: Yes we can, (doing so manually or using autocal 1 which is included optionally for offline use.)

I have no idea what kind of point you tried to make.

MrSoul4470

I recommend that you read @Hmast question one more time. He asked: ”could we still be able to EQ our precious speakers

So my answer to him is: Yes we can, (doing so manually or using autocal 1 which is included optionally for offline use.)

I have no idea what kind of point you tried to make.
Calm down. I agreed that it's still possible, but Auto EQ won't be the same. What's your problem with that? If anything but a yes/no answer is unacceptable to you then that's your problem.

Last edited:

Hephaestus

Calm down. I agreed that it's still possible, but Auto EQ won't be the same. What's your problem with that? If anything but a yes/no answer is unacceptable to you then that's your problem.
Calm down? I am not boiling… and thanks for the clarification.

Certainly it wont be the same but I understood his question in a way that can we eq our Genelecs if their servers are down? Yes we can, compare this to Dirac, if their servers are down you cant use their eq solution with devices using dirac live built in.

So our Genelecs wont become paperweights if GLM cloud is down - that is my point!

Personally I calculate filters manually anyway as it provides the best results.

And like @Trell I dislike dependency on cloud services.

Hmast

I won't be able to "play" with GLM before about 10 days. What are the differences between AtoCal and AutoCal2?

Trell

Major Contributor
I won't be able to "play" with GLM before about 10 days. What are the differences between AtoCal and AutoCal2?

Some info in the link below from last summer.

One change is that the calculations of the filters are done in servers and not locally, something I’m not that just with.

Tangband

Major Contributor
64 bit resolution in AutoCal2, the calibration with its math is done in a cloud, with your computer connected to wifi . In my ears, it also sound better than the older Autocal . You can save AutoCal2 with all its corrections into the speakers as usual , no need to be on the ”cloud” when playing music.

niloiv

just added some acoustic foam to the front wall behind my 8341's and recalibrated the system. the glm report shows now i have one fewer peak and one fewer notch on each side. tbh i can't say i can hear any difference, but still a good investment of $20 for a bit peace of mind

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
In my opinion, and this is an experience I have had with many subwoofer , the subwoofer must be broken in before doing any serious GLM room correction and listening to the result. So, about a month of ordinary musicplaying one hour a day is usually enough, before even trying GLM.

And first - the correct placement of the speakers where they sound best in the room are way more important than any roomcorrection.

Thomas Lund

Technical Expert
Industry Insider
I agree re. placement, but the break-in dogma may also have another angle to it. When making changes, it takes a while to appreciate all nuances of altered reproduction.

Trell

Major Contributor
In my opinion, and this is an experience I have had with many subwoofer , the subwoofer must be broken in before doing any serious GLM room correction and listening to the result. So, about a month of ordinary musicplaying one hour a day is usually enough, before even trying GLM.

Genelec themselves does not mention in their documentation that break-in/burn-in is needed. One of the first thing I did with my two 2.1 Genelec systems was to use GLM to calibrate them, and no way I'm going to wait a month or so before doing that.

Here is a seven year old thread on the Genelec forum asking if burn-in is needed for the 8351, and Genelecs answer (@Ilkka Rissanen ) is:

>>>
Hello,

No burn in is required nor does it bring you any noticeable performance / sound quality gains. The only thing that changes slightly is the woofer's suspension compliance (the suspension loosens up a bit) which makes the bass sound a little bit more emphasized (than right out of the box), but we are talking about very small differences here. And in any case, this will happen naturally during the few first hours of listening. New GLM calibration is not required or needed.
<<<

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec themselves does not mention in their documentation that break-in/burn-in is needed. One of the first thing I did with my two 2.1 Genelec systems was to use GLM to calibrate them, and no way I'm going to wait a month or so before doing that.

Here is a seven year old thread on the Genelec forum asking if burn-in is needed for the 8351, and Genelecs answer (@Ilkka Rissanen ) is:

>>>
Hello,

No burn in is required nor does it bring you any noticeable performance / sound quality gains. The only thing that changes slightly is the woofer's suspension compliance (the suspension loosens up a bit) which makes the bass sound a little bit more emphasized (than right out of the box), but we are talking about very small differences here. And in any case, this will happen naturally during the few first hours of listening. New GLM calibration is not required or needed.
<<<

Kali has done measurements and found that unit to unit variation is larger than the difference 'burn in' makes after 100 hours of playback at full volume.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Kali has done measurements and found that unit to unit variation is larger than the difference 'burn in' makes after 100 hours of playback at full volume.

Just because those guys have been making their own speakers for decades doesn't mean they know how the speakers perform, not like a true golden eared serious audiophile does.

Tangband

Major Contributor
I agree re. placement, but the break-in dogma may also have another angle to it. When making changes, it takes a while to appreciate all nuances of altered reproduction.
Thats true.

Top Bottom